Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Intrigue Brainstorming Thread  (Read 1089 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Intrigue Brainstorming Thread
« on: May 26, 2014, 12:17:42 pm »

Basically, intrigues (plots by historical figures for the player to get involved in) are going to happen eventually. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that this would be really, really interesting to mod. So, here's a thread to brainstorm tags you'd like for future intrigues, as well as what stock intrigues you'd like to see in DF.
Here are the tags I'd like to see;

Triggers
Code: [Select]
[SCHEME_CHANCE:number] <- The higher the number, the more likely this scheme is to be carried out when the requirements are met.
[INTRIGUE_TRIGGER:intrigue:success/failure] <- The intrigue can only start when another intrigue has succeeded/failed in way that affected the historical figure. Excludes intrigues done by the individual.
[SUCCESS_TRIGGER:intrigue] <- This intrigue is triggered when the schemer finishes another intrigue.
[AMBITION_TRIGGER:ambition] <- Restricts this intrigue to figures with a certain ambition (the hopes/dreams Toady's talked about implementing in future)
[TRAIT_TRIGGER:trait:value] <- Restricts this intrigue to this specific trait value, e.g. high greed.
[POSITION_TRIGGER:entity:position/noble] <- Restricts this intrigue to a holder of a specific title. This can also restrict certain intrigues to certain civs. Can also specify that an intrigue is open to anyone not currently a peasant.
[REVENGE_TRIGGER:intrigue] <- This intrigue can only be started by the success of an intrigue which targeted a friend/family member of the schemer that resulted in a negative outcome for that person. The original schemer is now specified as the target for this intrigue.
[NOTABLE_TRIGGER] <- This intrigue is restricted to significant historical figures.
[TARGET_POSITION:position/lower class/higher class] <- This intrigue targets a specific person, and is restricted to NPCs of this position. Can also restrict the target of an intrigue to a specific civ.
[TARGET_RELATION:relation] <- This intrigue targets a specific person, and is restricted to NPCs in specific relationships with the schemer.
[TARGET_CREATURE:creature:caste] <- This intrigue targets a specific person, and is restricted to NPCs of a certain race/caste.
[TARGET_SITE:site type] <- Used in intrigues that target entire sites; probably not compatible with a lot of intrigue outcomes. Uses I can think of involve economics/diplomacy/war.
[TARGET_ARTIFACT:item type] <- Targets legendary artifacts of a certain type.

Affects
[FREE_TARGET] <- If the intrigue is carried off effectively, the target is freed. Restricts the target to historical figures currently imprisoned.
[MARRY_TARGET:caste] <- The target marries the schemer. Restricts the target to the appropriate caste, if not already specified, and restricts target to unmarried dwarf.
[KILL_TARGET] <- The target is killed. Allows for assassination quests to be given to adventurers.
[IMPRISON_TARGET] <- The target is imprisoned in the current dwelling of the schemer. Allows for kidnapping quests to be given to adventurers.
[DEPOSE_TARGET] <- Removes the target from their position upon success, and automatically installs the schemer into that position.
[BUILD_SITE:site] <- The schemer constructs a site or a specific building. If religious in nature, their most fervently worshiped god will receive the site's dedication.
[CREATE_TITLE] <- Only works for civs with [VARIABLE_POSITIONS]. A title is created for the schemer.
[LEARN_SECRET] <- The schemer learns a [SECRET] interaction. Gives quests to adventurers to retrieve items that otherwise teach the interaction for the schemer; currently that's only necromancer slabs.
[AMASS_WEALTH] <- The schemer will give specific (if specified in triggers) or generic thieving missions to adventurers.
[START_WAR:entity] <- The schemer will give quests attacking a specific civ to the player in an attempt to start wars between civs.
[FABRICATE_CLAIM:site] <- The schemer and their civ receive a claim to a specific site upon success.
[OUTLAW_WORSHIP] <- Gods associated with a sphere that the schemer dislikes will get their temples desecrated by an appropriate underling, though the schemer will also get the blame.
[PREVENT_SCHEME] <- Will give quests to adventurers to find schemes against the schemer and report them, causing them to fail.
[IF_FAIL_PUNISH] <- If the scheme is discovered, either the civ ethics will assign the schemer an appropriate punishment.
[IF_FAIL_LYNCH] <- If the scheme is discovered, the schemer will be branded an enemy of their civ and (probably) mobbed to death by other civ members.

Here's an example of a simple intrigue;
[INTRIGUE:POWER_ABUSE]
[TRAIT_TRIGGER:GREED:100]
[TRAIT_TRIGGER:BRAVERY:80]
[TRIGGER_POSITION:MOUNTAIN:MAYOR]
[TARGET_RELATION:GRUDGE]
[TARGET_POSITION:LOWER_CLASS]
[IMPRISON_TARGET]
[AMASS_WEALTH]
[IF_FAIL_LYNCH]

This would allow corrupt but daring mayors to imprison their grudges of a lower rank and seize their property. If discovered, the mayor will be run out of town/face vigilante justice.

What do you guys think? Any ideas for tags/vanilla schemes?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: Intrigue Brainstorming Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 12:36:13 pm »

More intrigue ideas;

Allows priests to try to build churchs, oppress other faiths and start holy wars.
[INTRIGUE:ZEALOT]
[POSITION_TRIGGER:HIGH_PRIESTESS] <- Restricts to elves since IDK what you'd call the procedurally generated religious positions in other civs yet.
[BUILD_SITE:CHURCH]
[OUTLAW_WORSHIP]
[START_WAR:ANY]
[TARGET_SITE:ANY]

Allows nobles to try to steal other nobles positions, and then try to hold on to them.
[INTRIGUE:USURP]
[POSITION_TRIGGER:NOBLE]
[AMBITION_TRIGGER:?]
[TARGET_POSITION:HIGHER_CLASS]
[DEPOSE_TARGET]
[IMPRISON_TARGET]
[IF_FAIL_PUNISH]

[INTRIGUE:USURP_AFTERMATH]
[SUCCESS_TRIGGER:USURP]
[PREVENT_SCHEME]

Allows nobles to act to recover titles stolen from their family and kill usurpers.
[INTRIGUE:USURP_REVENGE]
[POSITION_TRIGGER:NOBLE]
[INTRIGUE_TRIGGER:USURP:SUCCESS]
[REVENGE_TRIGGER]
[DEPOSE_TARGET]
[KILL_TARGET]
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 12:19:41 pm by MDFification »

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 05:21:22 pm »

When you play The Game of Dwarves you either win or you die

N-not the shitty DF ripoff game "Game of Dwarves", I'm trying to be all sly and quote game of thrones and stuff.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 01:23:50 pm »

If discovered, the mayor will be run out of town/face vigilante justice.
I think that lynching a mayor of their own civ would cause a loyalty cascade/civil war, wich would be awensome.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 01:55:09 pm »

I think that lynching a mayor of their own civ would cause a loyalty cascade/civil war, wich would be awensome.
Well, loyalty is kinda broken at the moment, and it sounds improved in the impending version.  A big factor in choosing sides should be the rules of succession, or more precisely who would be in charge next.

"The Mayor is an ass, but my family has a blood feud against the guy most likely to take over next."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 05:45:14 am »

When you play The Game of Dwarves you either win or you die
When you play DF you have fun or you have lots of fun.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 06:36:46 pm »

Loyalty cascades have been fixed as of the next version, AFAIK.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 08:02:15 pm »

Loyalty cascades have been fixed as of the next version, AFAIK.

I can't find the exact quote, but I'm almost certain Toady mentioned in a FotF reply that loyalty cascades weren't as much fixed as they were altered drastically in yet unknown ways. So it'll still be there, just in a new form.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 07:00:50 pm »

I don't know if tags actually work like this, but if an intrigue can have multiple targets, there's always the House Baratheon of King's Landing switcheroo:

New tags for nobles inclined to use catspaws:
[CREATE_TITLE_FOR] -> Creates a title for the current scheme target in civs with variable positions.
[SILENT_DEPOSE] -> Deposes the target without automatically putting the noble in their place, leaving the position empty. If the rest of the intrigue leaves the position empty, normal succession procedures for that civ occur.
[INSTATE_TARGET:POSITION] -> Instates the target in a given position. If position is not empty, acts if SILENT_DEPOSE had been used first.

[INTRIGUE:REGICIDE]
  [AMBITION_TRIGGER:ROYALTY]
  [TARGET_POSITION:PLAINS:MONARCH]
    [KILL_TARGET]
  [IF_FAIL_LYNCH]

[INTRIGUE:FALSE_HEIR]
  [INTRIGUE_TRIGGER:REGICIDE:success]
  [POSITION_TRIGGER:PLAINS:ROYAL_CONSORT]
  [TARGET_RELATION:CHILD]
    [INSTATE_TARGET:PLAINS:MONARCH]
  [SUCCESS_TRIGGER:DEPOSE_RIVAL]
  [IF_FAIL_LYNCH]

[INTRIGUE:DEPOSE_RIVAL]
  [POSITION_TRIGGER:PLAINS:NOBLE]
  [POSITION_TRIGGER:PLAINS:MONARCH]
  [POSITION_TRIGGER:PLAINS:ROYAL_CONSORT]
  [TARGET_POSITION:PLAINS:NOBLE]
    [SILENT_DEPOSE]
  [SUCCESS_TRIGGER:ELEVATE_FRIEND]
  [IF_FAIL_PUNISH]

[INTRIGUE:ELEVATE_FRIEND]
  [TARGET_RELATION:FRIEND]
    [CREATE_TITLE_FOR]

There, now you don't need to read A Feast for Crows.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.