Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33

Author Topic: Mission 15: Arctic Expedition: I. HEAR. A. SOUND.  (Read 66205 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 15: Arctic Expedition
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2014, 05:32:29 pm »

"Not sure, I don't have anything like a scope or binocs on me. Looks like we'll have to get out and go see on foot!" As soon as the APC is parked, head out with the others to examine the dig site. Remember to grab my guass rifle!
"Just don't get ahead of the group."

Unload from the APC and examine the artifact with the various cameye modes.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2014, 05:45:21 pm »

"Wasn't planning to! I'll leave taking point to the guys more durable than me, such as yourself."
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2014, 05:47:30 pm »

Start excavating the thing with my pick.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2014, 05:48:37 pm »

((....you really like that pick don't you :P))
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2014, 05:51:38 pm »

Vincent hops out of the APC grabs his gun and looks around.
"So! What's the plan?"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:17:22 pm by Kedly »
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2014, 05:57:35 pm »

"Well, I'm assuming some of us keeps watch however much watch we can keep in this blizzard, anyways while the others man the dig equipment...wait, what were we given again?"  Inventory the dig equipment we were provided. Is it powered, or does it use sweat equity?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 06:52:21 pm by tryrar »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2014, 06:44:24 pm »

Out of the APC. Time to go stand around in the snow while things get organized. Maybe I can make a snowman while we wait. Or a snow angel.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2014, 07:45:07 pm »

(I'm assuming I met back up with the team and am with the APC now.)

"I guess we can't get any closer, huh?  Pity.  It looks to me like this whole rock formation is centered around the artifact, and I wish we could see how big the thing is... Xan, or anyone else, do you have any way of looking under the ice?  Some sort of sonar, maybe?  Meantime, let's unload the digging gear and set up a perimeter."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2014, 07:46:17 pm »

I'm enhancing my eyes now. Best not come in the APC in case I fuck up with the transformation.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2014, 11:31:50 pm »

"I don't much like the idea of driving this thing across that ice," Jobasio muttered, stopping the APC a short distance from the smooth surface and peering ahead through the windshield, "And yet I also do not like the idea of us all moving in on foot, with no idea what lies ahead." He glanced back as people started piling out, staying in the driver's seat.

"How about I, ah, we stay here whilst the rest of you scout ahead? I'll keep this thing ready to move incase you wake up something unpleasant and need to get away in a hurry. Inspecting unusual rock-and-ice formations is not my area of expertise, anyway. Try and determine whether the ice can take the weight of the APC."

Stay in the driver's seat, keeping the APC idling and ready to go.
Check its fuel gauge or equivalent and open radio channels to the rest of the squad, so they can keep me updated on what they find.

Edit: See if the APC has any sort of music player in the driver's compartment. Play some soft music to drone out the sounds of fleshwarping behind me if necessary. Failing that, just familiarize myself with the controls.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 11:42:47 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2014, 11:32:52 pm »

Dance around the area. Take a closer look at the Stonehenge thing they got going around here. The standing stones, that is.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2014, 11:33:50 pm »

"I don't much like the idea of driving this thing across that ice," Jobasio muttered, stopping the APC a short distance from the smooth surface and peering ahead through the windshield, "And yet I also do not like the idea of us all moving in on foot, with no idea what lies ahead." He glanced back as people started piling out, staying in the driver's seat.

"How about I, ah, we stay here whilst the rest of you scout ahead? I'll keep this thing ready to move incase you wake up something unpleasant and need to get away in a hurry. Inspecting unusual rock-and-ice formations is not my area of expertise, anyway. Try and determine whether the ice can take the weight of the APC."

Check its fuel gauge or equivalent and open radio channels to the rest of the squad, so they can keep me updated on what they find.
If you hear any fleshy sounds, I'd reccommend not looking at me.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2014, 11:39:41 pm »

Jobasio just keeps staring straight ahead, seemingly trying to forget about the creature seated behind him.
He idly fiddles with the controls a bit, fidgeting in his seat as he watches the team ahead.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2014, 12:16:48 am »

"I'm pretty sure all the water around here is frozen solid, Joe.  I'm less worried about the APC falling through the ice as I am of it losing control, what with the slippery surface and high winds.  I'd recommend keeping it out here unless there's an emergency... or in case of emergency.  Why don't you stay here until we get a better look at the thing, and be ready to peel out?"

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2014, 05:13:50 pm »

Xan takes a look out of the windshield.
Well? What is it?

Use dynamic Will bonus to enhance my eyes - make them organic CamEyes, basically. Examine the object using various vision modes once I'm done. Stay IN the comfy APC while I do this in case I overshoot.
The object is...metal by the look of it. Nothing special you can see, quite mundane. But it does extend beneath the ice, for quite a while in fact. You can't see too far, even with the eyes, but whatever the object is, it is very large.

"Not sure, I don't have anything like a scope or binocs on me. Looks like we'll have to get out and go see on foot!" As soon as the APC is parked, head out with the others to examine the dig site. Remember to grab my gauss rifle!
The dig site isn't a dig site yet, but the object you're going to dig looks, well, surprisingly human in design. It appears to be the ragged edge of a larger cylindrically shaped object from what you can see through the ice. It also appears as though it is hollow, even though the ice has covered over the hole.

"Not sure, I don't have anything like a scope or binocs on me. Looks like we'll have to get out and go see on foot!" As soon as the APC is parked, head out with the others to examine the dig site. Remember to grab my guass rifle!
"Just don't get ahead of the group."

Unload from the APC and examine the artifact with the various cameye modes.
Same as Xan's results, really.

Start excavating the thing with my pick.
You start twacking the ice with your pick, tearing up small chunks and spraying ice chips everywhere. It's effective, but not exactly fast. Or easy.

Vincent hops out of the APC grabs his gun and looks around.
"So! What's the plan?"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's not much to see beyond the object in the ice. The ice sheet is very smooth and unremarkable, and the stones in the distance are imposing, but no different from the ones you've already passed through. You can see a boiling mass of dark clouds on the horizon, moving with the wind toward the site. It's some distance off for now, but it will be here soon enough.

"Well, I'm assuming some of us keeps watch however much watch we can keep in this blizzard, anyways while the others man the dig equipment...wait, what were we given again?"  Inventory the dig equipment we were provided. Is it powered, or does it use sweat equity?
The digging equipment consists of a few things: Enormous heat guns, basically souped up hair dryers the size of bazookas with a battery pack backpack. There's also a large, flat metal blade, like an elongated shovel, which can be heated through the use of a battery pack and used to cut ice away. Finally there's a great big pneumatic pile driver, basically an unscaled icepick.

Edit: See if the APC has any sort of music player in the driver's compartment. Play some soft music to drone out the sounds of fleshwarping behind me if necessary. Failing that, just familiarize myself with the controls.
The APC is at about 85% full on fuel. It has a radio, but all it picks up is static, unsurprisingly.

The controls are...well they're just standard car controls really, with the addition of a few buttons to do things like open the back and control the armored blinds on the windshield.

Dance around the area. Take a closer look at the Stonehenge thing they got going around here. The standing stones, that is.
Thats no stone. Thats a...hmm. Hard to say. It's no stone though.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33