Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21

Author Topic: FEF: Journey to the Underworld - IC Thread - Chapter 1  (Read 18746 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: FEF: Journey to the Underworld - IC Thread - Prologue
« Reply #180 on: June 21, 2014, 05:15:39 pm »

Jason:

Jason nodded at Kahn and Matthew.

:"I'll see to it."

Wilson:

A curious, pudgy, little man, Wilson huddled over the blue fire poking and prodding at it. He fiddled with his glasses and stared at it expectantly.

: "Ohoho! What a remarkable little flame... Perhaps if I add a bit more copper... Would it react then? Or maybe... Ah!"

He turned sharply, bowing politely at Matthew and Kahn.

: "Salutations dear friends! This priest of Apollo greets you! I can't say I'm an expert on Underworld... Ohoho! I dare say, a very few brave men have ever been to the Underworld, let alone come back and write theses on the subject! The idea that you found any writings at all on the subject is most fascinating! I salute your researching abilities dear scholar! As per myself, I've only just had these engravings to work off. This being a temple of Lord Pluto, a few deal with the Underworld itself. Fantastic specimens, they seem to sho-"

He stopped, suddenly realizing just what Matthew was asking.

: "W-wait my friend.. To commune with the dead... That's quite the goal you have there... I-it's not really my place to inquire but... Might I ask who you are seeking to speak to?"
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 05:23:52 pm by birdy51 »
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 21, 2014, 05:17:34 pm »

"Hey - give me... a crossbow! I've always wanted to try one of those!"

Upon receiving her weapon, she turned to the fat friar, paying attention to his 'advice' very, very carefully.
I need to put something interesting here.

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 21, 2014, 05:19:03 pm »

"My... my mother. She passed when I was young... All I've studied has been to try and get the chance to talk to her again. I want to do all I can to meet her and talk to her. So anything you can tell us to help our journey... I would greatly appreciate it."

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 21, 2014, 05:30:10 pm »

Jason:

:"I'll get one fetched. Try not to hurt yourself with it, aye?"

Wilson:

Wilson stroked his mustasche ominously and stared deep into the swirling flames of blue.

: "Hmm... I do wish not to pry but... Was your mother... A good person?"
BIRDS.

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 21, 2014, 05:34:23 pm »

Matthew nodded.

"She was a healer. She spent her life serving those around her. All she did was to help others."

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 21, 2014, 05:51:26 pm »

Wilson:

The priest's eyes twinkled happily.

: "Really? Well I never would have guessed... Good!"

Turning back to the group, he shoots them all a hearty smile. He always liked having a crowd to preach to.

: "Having done her fair share of good deeds in life, I would have to guess that she is lingering somewhere around... Oh I don't know. Perhaps this place here!"
Wilson traces his finger across the engravings and pointed to one covered in rather drab fields of grass.
: "The Fields of Asphodel! If one lives their life without blame, they usually end up here I think. It's by no means a bad place, but it's no Elysian Fields either. But... Who knows. I could be wrong! Your mother could have made to the Elysian Fields. Ohohoho!"

: "Now then! I have a bit more information I can tell you. Would you care to hear more?"
BIRDS.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 21, 2014, 07:30:27 pm »

"Mmm. I would ask about the dead, but I fear too many souls weigh on my conscience..."

Kahn sighed, his eyes closed, and leaned on his spear. He felt inexplicably very old. And why shouldn't he? He had outlived all of his allies, from the knights of Sir George to the Vultures to his companions in that terrible tower... so very long ago...
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 21, 2014, 08:49:27 pm »

Wilson:

Wilson prepares his lecturing voice and smiles broadly. The soldiers look to each other and groan.

"Now they've done it..."

: "Oh! Well that's a good question right there fair knight! I would loathe leave it unanswered! You'll be seeing a lot of dead people I fear ohoho! The dead I mean! The dead... Hrmm. Well. From my studies I can surmise this much: When a person dies, their souls are guided here, usually by some otherworldly spirit. Some say it's actually Hermes himself who leads the dead to the entrance of the Underworld and some of the engraving here certainly support that idea!"

Rocking back and forth, he gesticulated nervously at the pertaining engravings.

: "Now! When they arrive in the Underworld, one of the first sights they see would be the River Styx. It's a winding, circling monster of a river that seems to flow all throughout the Underworld! I imagine it's quite the impressive sight. A man by the name of Charon; he's the one you'll have to look for if you want to get across it. Charon is the ferryman of the river who transfers the souls from one side of the river to the other. It seems he requires some sort of payment."

:"Then they go by Cerberus, lord hellhound. Ohoho! What a monstrous creature he must be. Three heads, all with sharp fangs! Yeesh! He seems to be checking each spirit as they pass by him. I suppose he's checking to see if they are a spirit. If not... Well... That encounter may go badly. I don't recommend fighting this thing on even grounds. You'll likely need some sort of trick... Or trap. That might be enough to slow it down. Yes."

:"From there, the spirits pass through some of the various realms of the Underworld on their way to the abode of the Lord of the Underworld. Let's see here... We have the Fields of Punishment, the Fields of Asphodel, and Elysium. Elysium. These are the final resting places for the spirits of the world. The Fields of Punishment is where the wicked spirits go. Evil villains and the like are treated an eternity of punishment! Hoho! Just deserts I say! The Fields of Asphodel aren't much better though. It's where the common go, those who did not live the kind of lives that attracted the attention of the Gods. Hehe. At least you aren't having your livers plucked out though!"

He laughs nervously. None of his comrades laugh with him.

: "Well uh... Now... Hmm... Oh yes! Elysium! Now that's the ticket! That's where the spirits of the legendary go. Those who found favor with the Gods are brought there after judgement. Free of labors... Free of pain... Hehe! That's where you want to spend eternity!"

: "Once spirits pass there, they reach the gates of Pluto's castle. I... I don't know much about this area. The engravings stop there. But I would imagine that is where spirits go to be judged. Pray you never see it, for I have only known Pluto to be very protective of his domain... In fact-"

: "Actually sir... I hate to interrupt but, May I ask a question?"

:"Certaintly lad. How may this humble servant of the Gods help you?"

: "If... If you can talk to someone who is dead... Then... What about bring them back?"

Wilson's eyes narrowed and he quickly adjusted his glasses.

:"Now what do you mean by that my fine feathered friend?"

: "I intend on bringing back my fair Eurydice from the dead... From out of the Underworld. Is that... Possible?"

Wilson began to sweat profusely, wiping his head with his cloth.

:"Well uh... No? Or... Maybe? I don't know! I don't think anyone has tried... Wait... Perhaps... No... Yes... Yes! I think you can!"

:"Are any of you familiar with the story of Persephone?"
BIRDS.

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 21, 2014, 08:58:11 pm »

"She's a goddess. Demeter's daughter, was taken by Pluto. She was trapped there because she ate food from the Underworld but she's able to return for part of the year, right?"

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 21, 2014, 08:59:58 pm »

"She's forced to return every winter, if I recall correctly."
I need to put something interesting here.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 21, 2014, 09:04:07 pm »

"'Tis why we have winter. Aye, I've heard the tale."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 21, 2014, 09:08:13 pm »

Wilson:

: "Correct young man and lady! Two points of merit to you both! Winter ends when Persephone returns to Demeter, returning nature to a blissful calm of summer. Now, when a person enters the Underworld; they leave their mortal shell behind and die. In this respect, all of you will be dying soon I suppose! Hehe! Then, while Persephone is goddess... She is also dead while being here in the Underworld. But she is still able to leave the realm on occasion every spring. In this respect... It may be possible that a dead spirit might also be able to leave."

: "But... That also requires you convincing Pluto to give up the spirit of Eurydice... Given the unorthodox nature of this trip, you may have to give him reason to give her up. That is one area that I cannot supply advice in I'm afraid... He may take some convincing in a most physical and rough manner. You certainly will never actually succeed in killing him. But perhaps... Just maybe... You might give him pause. Just be careful. He's the called the Lord of the Underworld for a reason..."
BIRDS.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 21, 2014, 10:34:12 pm »

Isteus wasn't much interested in either of the two choices available to him, not that interested in flimsy iron when his own body could suffice, nor of tales and stories when so close to their goal. The man was anxiously tapping a boot on the finely carved floors, his eyes cast towards the gate as he studied it. The entryway was massive, giant and made of enough valuable metal to arm hundreds of soldiers. He wasn't nervous of the door, nor of what it may be or how it was made.

No, he wanted to see what was on the other side. To see the lands that few tread and can still return. In biding his time, the hawk made idle chatter with the man who had been trying to put them down just moments before. Really, anything to put his mind off of his giddy anticipation.

"So, Jason was it right? I imagine you will be braving the depths with us, sword arm at our side? It won't be an easy task, even fate decrees it doomed--as you say--but there is never any fun in the simple."

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 21, 2014, 10:45:57 pm »

Jason stared at Isteus. Then he chuckled.

:"Doubtful. I can't leave my men up here alone. My first duty must be towards my soldiers. Besides. I came to prevent Orpheus from going down into the Underworld, not joining you on the journey. I'll leave that for folk less sane than I am..."
BIRDS.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 21, 2014, 10:59:10 pm »

The hawk couldn't help but be a little confused. Had the man not just moments prior mention his attempt to defy fate and save his friend? And now that he's beat, to stand aside like the ones he was furious at and sulk?

"Nothing says they can't come with you if they wanted to. If not, I think there's a town nearby they could perhaps stay; I've no doubt they're a fine bunch who can stay busy as well as they can scrap. I can't say I understand why you don't want to come though, you want Orpheus to live. That's why you opposed us. Why not take a personal hand in it? You said he saved your life, why not fight to save his?"

"There's no greater honor in helping a friend achieve the impossible, for it is only with allies that one can, after all. You almost never hear tales of those who attempt and succeed heroics without someone that they're attempting it for, or those they're trying to do so with."
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21