Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20

Author Topic: Video Games and the Fun-Diversity Dichotomy  (Read 23249 times)

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Video Games and the Fun-Diversity Dichotomy
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2014, 05:25:12 pm »

for example "Don't tolerate rapists" also has its own terrible logical conclusion... and that is that ostricisation is a great way to make them reoffend.

I am pretty sure you would not say that about "don't tolerate murderers."

I think he might, and I'd understand the point he's making, but for reasons I addressed earlier it can be very irresponsible to advocate for rapists and I can't help but cringe.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2014, 05:28:40 pm »

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:16:40 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2014, 05:49:35 pm »

Anecdotally, I am pretty sure I may have actually taken a creative writing class with a murderer before : /
...Excuse me?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 24, 2014, 05:57:27 pm »

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:16:39 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2014, 06:17:07 pm »

for example "Don't tolerate rapists" also has its own terrible logical conclusion... and that is that ostricisation is a great way to make them reoffend.

Except neither of these are the argument. The argument is don't tolerate raping/murdering.

You hadn't addressed the point. Society is not always right. According to your position, having individuals adjust to society's beliefs is desirable. Therefore, according to you it is desirable to sometimes have individuals adjust their correct beliefs to wrong ones due to societal pressure.
If only anyone was actually arguing the point you were so valiantly fighting against. Except no one here is gotten anywhere near arguing that society is always right. How is this even relevant to any argument that has been made? Why the fuck does it even matter?

It's turned into argument between those who believe, on the one side, that horrible people should apparently be allowed to do whatever horrible things they want with no repercussions, because any attempt to get them to stop doing that horrible thing, such as the terribly immoral sin of "not associating with them until until they stop doing the horrible thing" is wrong.

And then you have the people on the other side who believe that stopping people from doing horrible things is a good thing, even if the horrible people have to suffer the terrible injustice of people not supporting them and being pleasant with them until they stop doing the horrible things.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 06:20:47 pm by GlyphGryph »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2014, 06:37:35 pm »

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:16:35 am by Vector »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2014, 06:40:19 pm »

I was simply commenting that it was a signifcant tangent from the main argument, which was in regards to ostracizing as a tool for changing behaviour, rather than ostracization based on unchangeable nature.

I was wanted to be clear that any points made along those lines weren't going to be relevant to the original point of contention anyway, not that what you said was wrong.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2014, 06:41:32 pm »

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:16:33 am by Vector »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2014, 07:07:22 pm »

I'm not sure it's worth thanking for considering the "on rails" conversation would also, technically, probably be considered a derail. :P

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2014, 08:01:48 pm »

There is a difference between a person and what they do.

To even more atrociously derail this thread - shut up, I'm the OP, it's allowed - I don't think this statement can just be accepted by fiat.

If a person commits [CRIME], regardless of who they are or how many cookies they bake for the elderly, they are a [CRIME]ist/er, because that is the definition of [CRIME]ist/er as far as I am aware. If you kill someone unlawfully, you are a murderer. If you rape someone, you are a rapist. If you shoplift, you are a shoplifter. So on and so forth. It is an inherent facet of our justice system that your decision to commit crime constitutes an implicit acceptance of your new label as a criminal.

(Note: using the impersonal "you" here. Not meaning to imply anyone here is a shoplifter.)

I'm not going to argue for a crime-independent zero-tolerance policy (even though I do kind of personally support that model for serious crimes that are not already treated as such, like rape), but, in my opinion, until we invent mind-reading machines, "what people do" is the only evidence the legal system and greater society have of who they are. Who you are in the dark doesn't matter because, by the nature of metaphorical darkness, nobody can ever know of it save you.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 24, 2014, 11:25:02 pm »

No, I'm sorry, let me revise: I don't see why the argument "ostracizing rapists will just lead to more rape" is seen as logical, since I am pretty sure that I would never hear "ostracizing murderers will just lead to more murder."

Well ignoring that it is... The case... in real life... And it has been studied many times and proven to be true rather consistently (Compare and contrast alcoholics, as an example, where one has a loving supportive family versus one who has a family who all walk out on him... Which one has the higher sobriety rate)

The reason you would never hear "ostracizing murderers will just lead to more murder" is because well... No one wants to associate with a murderer and even IF it would mean more murderers would murder, they still wouldn't want to associate with them because "You might be next!" as well as the social ramifications. (GOODNESS am I getting Scarlet letter flashbacks)

The ridiculousness of allowing murderers a modicrom of dignity isn't contained in how many murders it would prevent... but rather the ridiculousness of just being anywhere near someone who murdered another person.

It is an inherent facet of our justice system that your decision to commit crime constitutes an implicit acceptance of your new label as a criminal

Then you are just poking holes in your own argument because as soon as someone "pays their debt to society" they are no longer considered a criminal. A Murderer who is out of jail is no longer a murderer as far as legality is concerned.

EVEN when the legal system retains a status it tends to be words like Ex-whatever. As in "Was once a whatever".

It seems rather baptismal when I think about it.

Though that is the inherent problem with using legal definitions in what is essentially social definitions.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 11:31:12 pm by Neonivek »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2014, 09:50:30 am »

It's turned into argument between those who believe, on the one side, that horrible people should apparently be allowed to do whatever horrible things they want with no repercussions, because any attempt to get them to stop doing that horrible thing, such as the terribly immoral sin of "not associating with them until until they stop doing the horrible thing" is wrong.
Actually I seem to recall that I claimed ostracizing people is often ineffective, not that it's wrong. I'd appreciate not being told what I believe, thanks.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 25, 2014, 10:04:10 am »

Except neither of these are the argument. The argument is don't tolerate raping/murdering.

No, I'm sorry, let me revise: I don't see why the argument "ostracizing rapists will just lead to more rape" is seen as logical, since I am pretty sure that I would never hear "ostracizing murderers will just lead to more murder."

It was a side point, in any case, so I'm going to drop it.
Both seem quite logical to me. (Logical does not imply correct, for that matter.)

Ostracizing people prevents them from functioning well, if at all, in society, which in turns implies an increased recidivism rate. It's a trend that was shown to occur for a variety of lesser crimes, such as burglaries and stuff, so it's quite logical that people assume it works for other crimes as well.

All in all, it depends mainly on the motive of the person in question, but I don't think ostracization will actually be beneficial in most, or even any situations. A significant part of these people needs treatments or medicine or whatever, and they're not going to be help by being thrown in the gutter.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2014, 11:14:30 am »

Bay12: Where threads about homosexuality in games are derailed by pages and pages of rape discussion.
._.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2014, 11:54:24 am »

*Walks in with opinion
*Sees discussion
*Leaves
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20