Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trouble with Weapon Attachment  (Read 1218 times)

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
Trouble with Weapon Attachment
« on: May 23, 2014, 12:35:09 am »

So, in my current fort, I have a had a bit over a decade of survival through goblin and elf ambushes and, on rare occasions, sieges. As a result, I've got a fairly competent military, in particular one swordsdwarf who has been around for a very long time. She currently has 70 notable kills and 17 other kills- mostly the aforementioned goblins, elves, and of course the giant animals elves bring with them. She's a phenomenal military dwarf.

Unfortunately, due to a long-past equipment screw up, I'm not sure which of the swords in the fortress she's attached to- I thought it was the one she's currently equipped with, but so far it has 51 notable kills and 16 other kills assigned to it, all from the swordsdwarf, but no name.
Another sword in the fort has 15 kills on it, 12 of which are the swordsdwarf's. Both of them are masterwork quality iron shortswords. When I assign Individual Choice (melee) to the swordsdwarf, she will go for the sword with 51 kills first, and if two individual choice (melee) weapons are assigned, she'll go for the one with 15 kills next.

Now, what I don't know is; would the attached weapon take priority over the non-attached weapon when the dwarf is looking for equipment? If the attached weapon is the one with 15 kills, does the dwarf go for the one with 51 kills simply because it has more kills/she has used it more? Or is 51 kills not enough to name a weapon over, and she's been using the one that she's attached to this whole time. Can a dwarf become attached to multiple weapons, and thus it doesn't really matter which one was originally attached to?

Regardless of the outcome, I still have a spectacular military dwarf- but I'd like her to have a spectacular weapon to match.
This space for rent

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with Weapon Attachment
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 06:43:45 am »

From the wiki: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Weapon#Attachment
Seems attachment is from time spent with the weapon, while naming happens based on number of kills.

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 07:03:39 am »

Ah, I'd misread the article and assumed that a dwarf had to be attached to a weapon to name it. My bad.
This space for rent

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 08:19:13 am »

I guess attachment is likely to come first, unless you move the weapons from dwarf to dwarf.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 05:26:47 am »

You can override a dwarf's attachment by going to the military screen, (e)quip, and then remove the weapon slot and replace it with 'specific weapon', choose the artifact or masterwork steel sword or whatever you want her to have. Dwarves will obey the specific weapon directive. Of course if you later give them a generic weapon choice again, they might relapse, but as far as I can see there are no negative consequences to taking away their favoured weapon.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 06:05:17 am »

Seems attachment is from time spent with the weapon, while naming happens based on number of kills.

I have doubts about the accuracy of this article, it doesn't fit my experiences:
i've seen numerous attachment and naming events, and i can't remember a dwarf ever naming an item that they weren't attached to already, i.e. naming _does_ appear to be another step on the same scale as attachment.
And i have items that were named without ever gaining kills. The process seems more linked to combat experience gained relevant to the item - i.e. axe experience gained increases attachment/naming chance for the axe used, shield experience gained counts towards attaching/naming the shield in use. (Short sweep - one masterwork silver mace with a name, no kills; one excep. adamantine battle axe with no name, five kills.)

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 02:44:09 pm »

I have doubts about the accuracy of this article, it doesn't fit my experiences:
i've seen numerous attachment and naming events, and i can't remember a dwarf ever naming an item that they weren't attached to already, i.e. naming _does_ appear to be another step on the same scale as attachment.
And i have items that were named without ever gaining kills. The process seems more linked to combat experience gained relevant to the item - i.e. axe experience gained increases attachment/naming chance for the axe used, shield experience gained counts towards attaching/naming the shield in use. (Short sweep - one masterwork silver mace with a name, no kills; one excep. adamantine battle axe with no name, five kills.)

I think if the kills are historic figures then it counts more towards a dwarf becoming attached to and eventually naming a weapon.