Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23

Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons 3.5: Memories of Twin'kaali  (Read 21306 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons and Dragons 3.5: Memories of Twin'kaali
« Reply #225 on: July 10, 2014, 03:20:16 pm »

You all drop by the psion offices, and Sha'an's stubbly twentysomething face greets you at the door.

"Ah! Hello. My sources--" Sha'an looks around furtively. "--tell me that there is another dungeon off a good way to the north, on the coast. First, I should probably tell you what I found from that last memory."
Sha'an begins telling you a tale.
"This is but one of the tales of which the people speak...

Once, there was an old prison out in the woods. It held typical, rowdy inmates in, for some reason, large, open cells. They never escaped, somehow. Anyway, the warden was a pretty dark-minded guy. He was a dwarf, and after running the jail for about ten years, he became interested in the concept of necromancy. Every night, he would go to his study and read from an old spellbook he'd found somewhere. Eventually, he was consumed by the power and went stark raving mad. He cast an extremely powerful spell on the entire prison, killing all the inmates, guard animals, and guards, quickly reviving them as the undead beasts you saw in the catacombs. I think there was some kind of ghoulish being near where you found the memory; that was probably the dwarf himself.

This tale means little on its own, but I found something in it. There was a mention of a powerful wizard, likely the source of the spellbook, and I spotted a little map with a circle on it when he was being discussed; I find it likely that the map marked the homeland of the wizard, probably a castle or something. I'd like you all to go try to find a memory inside of the old wizard's domain.

Thing is, this wizard was what is called a "domain wizard", and he was apparently obsessed with the ocean along with necromancy. His temple is probably flooded or something, so I'm giving you five this, and I need it returned."

Sha'an pulls out a little glass bottle.

"I found this bottle in a rummage sale at a wizard's academy. This thing is supposed to hold infinite amounts of air in it, which means that you guys can breathe out of it." Sha'an presses it into Talc's hands. "This thing cost me around seven thousand gold pieces. Don't ask why I spent 7000 gp on something I'm lending to some adventurers that I probably won't use anyway. You owe me the cash if you lose it, though, so be careful with it."

Sha'an hands Fist a map. It shows the local area in a pretty decent imitation of scale, and has a big X on it around where the temple is supposed to be.

If you need to do anything in town, do it now.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #226 on: July 10, 2014, 04:31:11 pm »

Look at the bottle. Is it corked, or can you just suck on it? Howzit work? D:

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 10, 2014, 04:33:36 pm »

It is corked. Pulling out the cork leads to a light breeze coming out of the bottle.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #228 on: July 10, 2014, 05:17:10 pm »

Neat-o! Practice breathing from it.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 10, 2014, 08:12:36 pm »

After glancing at the map, he hands it off to someone else.
"How far?"

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #230 on: July 10, 2014, 08:35:39 pm »

Talc grabs the map. You tell me, didn't you just read it? Sheesh. Read the map and head off for the temple, unless someone wants to do a thing in town.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 10, 2014, 09:53:46 pm »

Cantup follows Talc
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 16, 2014, 08:42:31 pm »

Alright then. TO THE TEMPLE!

You all begin the journey northward. You travel through miles of rolling hills and grassland, with nary a hamlet to be seen. At dusk, Cantup spots a few small shapes on the horizon, coming at you all at full speed... squinting, he realizes that there are four friggin' feral housecats bounding toward you at top speed. Before you can run the other way, you see 3 more coming the other way. By the time Cantup warns the others, they have closed in on you; there are 3 cats to your south and 4 to your north, each about 30 feet away.

Code: [Select]
....cccc..
...TCFF...
...KDFF..
...ccc....

((I am not kidding you. I select "level two PCs on temperate plains" on the random encounter generator and it gives me an encounter of seven cats. I like procedural generation though, so we're sticking with this ridiculous encounter.))

INITIATIVE RRRRROLLL
Kyle... 1 + 1 = 2.
FOTM... 18 - 4 = 14.
Dagran... 6 - 4 = 2.
Talc... 9 + 3 = 12.
Cantup... 2 + 3 =5.
Cats... 4 + 2 = 6.

ORDER
FOTM
Talc
Cats
Cantup
Kyle
Dagran

* Fist punches a cat, but it swiftly dodges!
Code: [Select]
....cccc..
...TC.....
...KD....
...FF.....
...FF.....
...ccc....
*thwip*
The cat swiftly dodges Talc's arrow, which breaks!

The cats to the south practically mob Fist, and one manages to practically maul him for 2 damage! ((Calculation mistakes taken care of by assuming that these cats are MOAR POWERFUL than average cats.))

The cats to the north close in on the rest of you. One manages to deal a whopping 3 HP of damage to Talc. Another one misses Cantup outright. One of them tears into Kyle, again for 3 damage. Another rips into Dagran, dealing 3 damage.

Cantup tries to lure the cats away with catnip, but these ones seem to be immune to its effects!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 12:08:05 pm by Tawarochir »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #234 on: July 16, 2014, 09:04:00 pm »

Oh gods!! Longbow the shit out of those cats.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 16, 2014, 09:16:59 pm »

"Clearly what they need is some catnip!" Using prestidigitation Cantup makes a irresistible smell of catnip mixed with whatever cats like at a rock near the 4 cat so that it would slow their approach   
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 17, 2014, 12:55:05 am »

((As a note, since Fist-Of-The-Mountain is of Large size, he takes up a two by two square.))
((Also, did we level up? I don't remember that.))

Punch a cat.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 17, 2014, 01:00:19 am »

((As a note, since Fist-Of-The-Mountain is of Large size, he takes up a two by two square.))
((Also, did we level up? I don't remember that.))

Punch a cat.
((Inconsistencies ho!

You did not level up, but after all it's just some cats. Habit.

I'll fix FOTM when I roll for initiative, tomorrow morning.))

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 19, 2014, 02:27:55 pm »

Dargran double attacks any cats that he can reach with the quarterstaff.
((I'll be away for the next week, so just auto me with quarterstaff bashing))

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 19, 2014, 02:33:51 pm »

Kyle maces a cat.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23