Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: First Post Thread  (Read 1453 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
First Post Thread
« on: May 22, 2014, 04:55:31 pm »

First Post Thread

The place to show your first post on Bay12 to the members of Bay12 that haven't already seen it!

You can post a link, quote, screenshot, or just copy+paste the whole thing; any one works.

Let me start it off with a quote for you guys.
Signed up just to post this:
I embarked with a river, and said river suddenly led to empty space; a waterfall.
"Wonder how tall it i- ohmygosh."
It's a 6 z-level drop.
Fun will surely ensue.
Black lives matter.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
Re: First Post Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 09:47:30 pm »

This story is going to be great.

>Ask Rimtar Iridmedtob if he can make a cheese-cutter for you when you get to ShieldDawn. I mean, you ARE going to need one, right? And you should give the honor of making your cheese-cutter (who wouldn't be honored by making one for a soon-to-be Legendary Cheesemaker?) to someone you know, especially since he said you could come along! And surely a cheese-cutter isn't that much different than a weapon! Well, some of them aren't. On second thought maybe we need a metalcrafter... But it never hurts to ask!

Yep. Surprisingly sane for me. Crazy, ain't it?
Take a closer look at this text!

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 09:49:10 pm »

I plan on making a very tall tower -- Dedicated to the production of the heavenly drink of alcohol.
The design is many floors, with stills on each floor. Brewers will be assigned to each still, and when a beer is finished, I want them to drop it in a chute that will carry it down to one single quantum stockpile, where dwarves will go to get their booze.

Is it possible to place a stockpile square on an empty space and have a dwarf drop it down multiple Z levels?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 10:00:15 pm »

I wonder what mine is.

I recently started a fortress. After giving skills to the members of the embark party, I went to fiddle with the inventory, get some more boo-wait. There isn't any booze or seeds-mostly meat of various kind. And instead of horses and dogs and cats...there were trolls.
I had started a goblin fortress.
I realized why I hadn't been able to choose kobolds (although my expectations turned out to not be DF kobolds... :()-a civ, and therefore a race, was chosen randomly.

Down to busines. I got a couple dozen trolls, some decent weapons, etc. I have a few questions:
1.) Can a trained goblin and a few (dozen) trolls form an effective military?
2.) Why can't my woodcutter cut down trees? I brought a greataxe!
3.) Can I assign trolls to goblins, and if so how?
4.) Is there any other advice I should have?
5.) I'm thinking of posting a log of this fortress. How do I get screenshots, where would I put the log, and would you be interested?
6.) Is it obvious that this is my first fortress?

Oh, right, I used to play Dwarf Fortress. I wonder when the next update is.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 10:23:55 pm »

Oh look, my first post is about Modding.

I'd think you'd define it as any other body part. When you assign an attack using that body part, add [ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE] to the attack.
What Kweri said, although to make it more effective, you might need to alter the related bodyparts' relsize.
Also, to add variety to the stab and slash attack, you might as well add the [ATTACK_FLAG_CANLATCH] tag
to the stab attack, so that the creature's arms get stuck.

Finally, stab and slash attacks work better if their tissues are structural, in short, you might want to make a separate "blade" tissue using (possibly strengthened) bone as a material, like this:

[TISSUE:BLADE]
      [TISSUE_NAME:bone:bone]
      [TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BONE]
      [STRUCTURAL]
      [RELATIVE_THICKNESS:3]
      [CONNECTS]
      [TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ARMS_BLADE:BLADE]

Of course, ARMS_BLADE stands for the necromorph's blade arms and blade is the tissue itself.
That is all for now.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 10:24:49 pm »

Hey, so's mine!

hey.. i'm a very new forum member (first post woo), with very little experience modding.

anyway, while goofing about on wikipedia, i came across an article on egalitarian communities, and began to theorize whether or not it would be possible to create a playable civ in DF in which there are no nobles whatsoever, or whether that would be impossible.

thoughts?
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 10:39:07 pm »

Wow, I registered on Christmas of '12

and here's my first post
Name:Johnson

Grab a bottle of Vodka
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 11:58:13 pm »

First of all, "Giant Hello charges at Bay 12 Forums, piercing the Dwarf Fortress and bruising the DF General Discussion!"
In other words, hello everyone!

I've been following the game for...Well, not a long, but I heard of it before as being "the game that inspired Minecraft" and the "super-hard-to-learn game" sort of thing...
I have yet to come to a success known as Urist McFisher being eaten by a Carp, but I'm getting here.

To the point!

The game itself, as we all know, is helluva of fun and Fun, and for sure will grab any hardcore gamers out there, but it lacks one thing that would enlarge its community even further:
A trailer.

A good trailer would, in my opinion, raise the game's already big attention, especially if...
"The footage is not representative of actual gameplay."

Think the opening...Scene.

Suggestions? Anything?

I still think this should happen, just saying.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 04:52:12 am »

What Armok said.

Screech loudly, tackle the antimage, and do what you did to that poor puddle of maimed goblin to him, start with the limbs to keep him screaming longer for more demoralization. After you finish with him, proceed to poison a paladin, tear off the other paladin's arms, and beat a warrior with them if Zarg hasn't killed the rest.

Big surprise, old and sadly unfinished forum game involving necromancy, a catgirl flesh golem, and death.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 05:37:26 am »

Spoiler: Long Post is loong (click to show/hide)
Yeah.. I actually came here for the modding, and only stumbled into these parts of the forum on accident. Too bad that peculiar mod never was taken further, albeit I did a little bit of homebrew into that area. Might even get back to modding once the new version comes out.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 05:39:29 am »

I was weak in the art of search-fu back then.

Let's be brief here:
We don't have a massive group of cats and dogs because we prevent them from breeding.

I say that male pet cats should be available for castration to prevent catsplosion.

This should also be available for dogs as well, but of course, not birds.

I know this might be a bit hard to do, but it's the only way to stop them.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 05:47:27 am »

Quote from: First Post
Heya, how's it going? I haven't been here for a while, real life decided it was about time I stopped my little vacation and get back to work. But I finally have actual free time again!  But anyway, I decided to start an RTD rpg, just because I'm bored. Oh, and because some of the ones I've read are awesome. So yeah.
Onto the Game System!
Game System
This game uses a form of RTD, although it is quite a bit more complicated than that. For example, items and perks can give boosts or take away points from your roll. This can, however, turn out positively, if only in one scenario. Say you roll a 6, ergo, overshot. If your item does -1 from your rolls, you instead get an Epic Success. So there. So anyway, bonuses. That's one difference. The other, is that rolls have categories, which decides whether or not you get certain boosts. That also means certain categoriess cannot be overshot, and as such, a 6 is treated as a 3. Oh, and levels exist, which determines your health, and mana.
Character Creation
There are some basic categories you need to fulfill, but otherwise, go wild.
Name:
Race:
World/Dimension of origin:I forgot to mention this earlier, didn't I? There is dimension travel here. Lots of it.
Personality:
HP:You start off with 20/20
MP: You start off with 15/15. However, you can reassign these.

The starting area will be decided after I get your characters, so that I can prepare an appropriately designed world for said characters.
Oh, would you look at that. My first post was an RTD.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

blazing glory

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 05:54:49 am »

i've got these burning question that i made a account just to ask them they are the following

1 how do you find evil weather in adventure mode? i can't find any

2 are there any decent adventurer mods besides wanderers friend?

3 how do you make a world where dwarfs/elves/humans are fighting eachover?

4 can something survive it's guts being spilled long time?

5 is it possible to lose a organ entirly?

Augh! It's me from when I didn't use commas,capitals,and full stops.

At that point I had been playing Dwarf Fortress adventurer mode for a while and had those questions.

Oh look my grand second post.

found out the anwsers for question 4 and 5 on another post :D the only vital organs are the brain and the lungs and spilled guts will constantly bleed untill you fast travel and a heart is not a vital organ

I miss-spelt answers and until.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 06:00:57 am by blazing glory »

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 06:49:54 am »

Mine is a long-ass tl;dr !!FUN!! story.

Basically, my fort was divided into three parts by bridges: one trap-lined entrance corridor, one floodable corridor after that, and my main fort. Well, what happened was that a goblin siege just happened to coincide with the arrival of a human caravan. I, in my infinite foolishness, decided to wait until the humies enter the fort, and then drop some siegers into the drowning pit under the first bridge. So, the humans arrived all right, but the first sieger was a War Cave Dragon. The others seemed to fall behind, so I just thought I'd let him in, and then raise the bridge.

I made a fatal mistake.

Specifically, I didn't account for dwarven stupidity.

Let me give you a description of the events. The cave dragon rushes through the bridge, but he is intercepted by a macedwarf halfway through. The macedwarf flies off his rocker and goes medieval on the poor beast, bruising its innards, breaking its legs, wings, and other appendages, but, being a macedwarf, he can't seem to actually kill the wretch, and its bruised carcass prevents the bridge from being raised. Another cave dragon arrives, crosses the bridge (completely ignoring the macedwarf currently whaling on its comrade) and then he sees him. The Mule. His dragon heart overflows with hatred. He bullrushes the creature, grabs it by the head, and starts shaking it around, spraying blood all over the place. The human caravan guards promptly surround him and pull his head through his rectum. The mule goes berserk with pain, kicks the human merchant in the lower body, and runs off into the corridor, where it is bisected by a -large bismuth bronse serrated disc-. The macedwarf continues to abuse the dragon. The merchant retches. And then...

The rest of the siege arrives. They slaughter the macedwarf and the guards, but the merchant somehow escapes them. They chase him through the killing corridor, a cage trap dispatches a Hammer Lord, and the rest of the dragons refuse to follow, for some reason. The abused dragon has crawled off somehow, so I drop the goblin stragglers into the pit. The rest of the goblins pass the trap corridor with significant losses (~65%) and engages my military. This is where I found out that my marksdwarf squad hasn't been issued ammunition, and one of my two melee squads has somehow failed to arrive to their positions. The marksdwarves are promptly slaughtered, excepting their captain, who is a badass. The other goblins are dispatched by my BSDM melee squad, The Conquerors of Whipping, but not their leader, whom I shall call Boris (Baseborn Orifice Ravaging Imbecile Sonovabitch), a goblin swordmaster. My remaining five fetishist dwarves chase him around, while the marksdwarf captain has decided to screw off to the hospital for a nap and a refreshing drink.

By now I am sure of my success, being only a Novice DF Player who hasn't encountered a goblin swordmaster in melee before. Well, Boris lops off my militia commander's hand, kills two other dwarves, receiving the title of Boris the Bastard of Eviscerating, before I even notice that something is wrong. In frustration, I decide to flood the corridor to drown him, but fail to account for the fact of the second bridge being lowered (it blocks the water flow when raised), so I only end up muddying everything and spreading merchant vomit all over the place.

In a completely unrelated (I do so swear) accident the living quarters become flooded, preventing my 68 civilian dwarves from sleeping. Everybody is damn miserable already, since we have lost some dozen soldiers plus a half-dozen idiot civilians who got caught outside. Boris finishes mutilating my hapless soldiers, of whom only the militia commander and another macedwarf escape, and decides to just camp in the trade depot with the remaining dragon, since the bridge is raised. I lower the bridge, and he walks off into the sunset, his extremely long hair billowing in the breeze. The dragon remains stationary, since he can't be bothered. The rest of the military goes and shows him his error, losing another hammerdwarf in the process.

The mayor throws a tantrum and deconstructs the second bridge, while some other bastard deconstructs the first. The remaining macedwarf goes berzerk because her husband was killed in the attack. So now she's caught between the first bridge and the second with only some children to keep her company. The fort is in a tantrum spiral.

A Russian adage goes, "Why love, why suffer? I'll go eat and go to sleep". I think I'll follow the advice. If there is a single living being in the fort by morning, I'll make love to my goggles. Do excuse me for the wall of text, I just had to tell someone the whole story.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 06:52:34 am »

Or a no quality wooden crossbow so he can still kill enemy (S/he bash dwarfs with it)
I have no comment about my first post.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game
Pages: [1] 2