Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [Rubble] Rubblized Masterwork: Planning and progress reports  (Read 3714 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: [Rubble] Rubblized Masterwork: Planning and progress reports
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 10:42:59 am »

I automate as much as possible, but the default Masterwork configuration system defies easy conversion.

I could make a pre tweak script to handle all settings the same way the launcher does currently, but that would defeat the purpose (unless it was a stopgap used only until everything was ported properly)

The problem is that while Rubble can automate many things, there is little reason to really put the required work into libraries and such until it is in use, and it can't go into common use until the launcher uses it for all platforms.

Trying to use Rubble only for non-windows platforms is doomed to fail, as while I have the time to do a one-off port and occasional infrastructure improvements, I do not have the time to keep a special version in sync (and as stated earlier it would be a waste to try to use Rubble to handle the current setting system as anything other than a stopgap)

If you want a prime example of how things would/could improve take a look at Better Dorfs, a Rubble addon pack that makes use of pretty much everything Rubble has to offer (please note that it uses the stable 3.13 Rubble version, where the Masterwork preview uses the alpha pre4 version)

When Rubble 4.0 is out you will be able to download a world from a friend (who also uses Rubble) and even though he uses a completely different tileset and settings you will be able to load and play his world with no issues in either your favorite tileset (via regeneration of the world) or his tileset (via prepping the world) by using Rubble to process the world using meta data Rubble attaches to the world when it is generated. Needless to say these actions are featured in the Rubble GUI and would need to be added to the masterwork GUI, but both things can be done from the command line as well.
(the only reason you can't do this with 3.13 is that some old library addons are non-deterministic, so worlds cannot be regenerated, you could still play with his tileset though)

For modders the rewards are even greater, take a look at any of the addons that come with Better Dorfs and you will see that many tasks are automatic and/or much shorter than the vanilla way, for example via "addon hooks" it is possible to add new buildings and reactions without ever modifying the entity, and if you use DFHack autosyndrome command stones are automatically generated for you by using a simple template in a reaction.

But sadly, it is not likely that Rubble could speed conversion to DF2014.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 01:39:50 pm »

I have decided that, as things stand, this is not worth continuing without launcher support and a commitment to use it.

Using Rubble as a backend for a large mod like Masterwork has many benefits, but the initial porting is a lot of work, and so if no one is going to use it it would be better to wait until they will.

If there ever comes a time when the GUI can interface with Rubble, and a port is wanted I will be available to do most (if not all) of  the work, but for not that is not the case.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Mithril Leaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 02:14:16 pm »

I have decided that, as things stand, this is not worth continuing without launcher support and a commitment to use it.

Using Rubble as a backend for a large mod like Masterwork has many benefits, but the initial porting is a lot of work, and so if no one is going to use it it would be better to wait until they will.

If there ever comes a time when the GUI can interface with Rubble, and a port is wanted I will be available to do most (if not all) of  the work, but for not that is not the case.

Isn't this sort of exactly what Meph would say would happen and why he wouldn't commit to it?

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2014, 02:19:22 pm »

Then I guess it is a circular problem :) I won't waste my time if it won't be used and he won't use it because it's not 100% finished (which it never will be so long as I need to hit a moving target)

If GUI support is finished
If I get a commitment from Meph to use it
Then I will continue work.

It would probably be best to combine porting to Rubble with porting to the new version that way all the disruption happens at once :)

Snaaty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 03:53:31 am »

Can someone help me with the script posted by splinterz?

How do I get it running on my linux os? Do I pull the code from github, and what happens next?

Also, are really no dependencies in the raws? e.g. if I manually enable Kobolds, Orcs, etc. I get a sometimes messed up embark, due to getting items I probably shouldn't be able to get.

Also, are dwarves also supposed to farm woodstalks? Because at dwarven embark with no options changed I get some woodstalk seeds.

Edit: Or is this script not supposed to be running, like, just an overview over the different options?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 04:10:28 am by Snaaty »

jcd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 09:28:57 am »

this is the json.  splinterz gui reads it in order to understand how to change a specific option.
you can use this to understand what is needed to make a specific change, or create a script to do that for you (mine is not progressing atm due to lack of time)
also you can use a wine prefix with dotnet4.0 to run the gui itself, although the 'new' theme is verrry slow for me in wine.. (the blue one is ok)
Pages: 1 [2]