Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Help with Robots! :)  (Read 3120 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Robots! :)
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 07:12:24 pm »

Them not being able to see or use their arms or legs could be a couple different things, such as them missing a thinking body part or having body parts listed in the wrong order.

It also sounds like they are missing a description.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 07:26:24 pm »

Yep, they are missing a description. I'm pretty sure I gave them a *thought* part, will check now. What effect does the order in which body parts are listed affect a creatures ability to stand? :)

Edit : Pretty sure they have a thought part. I believe they would die without such a part anyway. I've put a CHIP in their body file with [THOUGHT], and gave it a tissue and gave the tissue a material. ([BP:IC:IC chip:STP][CON:HEAD][THOUGHT][INTERNAL][SMALL][CATEGORY:CHIP]
      [DEFAULT_RELSIZE:50])

The errorlog is empty, and this confuses me.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 07:31:46 pm by Korbac »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 07:33:14 pm »

Body parts are added to the creature in the same order they are defined.

Some body parts are supposed to attach to other parts, so for example if a body part designed to attach to the head is defined before the head is, it will not be added to the creature at all.

For a token example, [BODY:HUMANOID:TAIL_STINGER:TAIL] the stinger would not be added as it is defined before the tail is, and has nowhere to go.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 07:38:48 pm »

This is very good to know - maybe I added the CHIP before the HEAD? I'll check this now. Thanks for your help! :)

Edit : I am stupid fool. I told the CHIP to CON:HEAD , although the token was actually HD. Testing now!

Well guess what. CONTYPE:HEAD would have worked, but no, I had to be a moron.

Many thanks BlackFlyme, I believe this problem is now solved. ^_^

Seems to be working well - in a fight versus a human with a hammer, the human got some lucky bashes off and dented the robots' plating a few times, then the robot cut the humans arm open, following up with an instakill slice to the brain. :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 07:46:15 pm by Korbac »

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 09:46:37 am »

Double Edit : Orthoclase too stronk for paint, Chalk too strong also. May have to use Clay.

you can make the paint layer weaker by adding a RELATIVE_THICKNESS token to that tissue with a really low number, keep dropping it until it reaches the point you want. (I assume you'd want them to get scuffed up when hit by heavy attacks but not from wrestling?)

you can also set the HEALING_RATE for it really low...or leave it out altogether to have them keep the scuff-marks...but you might then want to add a caste that has an interaction to temporarily give them a stupid high healing rate as sort of a "new paint-job"...maybe even give a happiness boost as well.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 01:06:38 pm »

Clay works well, at the moment. :) I've already put the RELATIVE_THICKNESS to 1, - I'm not sure how I could make it weaker.

Onto Gutsmen, and then I think I'll try some interactions! :)

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 01:17:34 pm »

Clay works well, at the moment. :) I've already put the RELATIVE_THICKNESS to 1, - I'm not sure how I could make it weaker.

Onto Gutsmen, and then I think I'll try some interactions! :)

I'm...actually not sure if it will take decimal places...maybe if you boosted the other tissue layers to the hundreds? ...it is "relative" to the other layers...so...maybe...

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2014, 01:35:20 pm »

Oh, so it *is* relative to other tissues! I thought it just multiplied the tissue by the body size (Ie was relative to creature size). Does the RELSIZE in body parts work the same way? In Toady's example, I never considered that making a dwarf's liver bigger would shrink the rest of him. :)

Edit : Is there a way to slow down a creature's reproduction, short of making them a child? I might have an army of difficult to kill robots otherwise, as they have no CHILD stage.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 01:37:58 pm by Korbac »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2014, 01:58:10 pm »

Yeah, it's all relative, which is why it's called RELATIVE_whatever.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 02:05:40 pm »

Oh dang. Well yeah, I'll try that then. ^_^

That explains why in the body detail plan the BRAIN has a RELSIZE of 100.

Edit : Any ideas on how to make a robot with an internal 'brain' killable? My echidnas are capable (if skilled and lucky) of bashing up the robots' head and fracturing it's circuitry, but they can't get through to the IC Chip to kill the robot. Even other robots take ages.

Edit the 2nd : They are basically entirely made of copper - it's just the different tissues that have different roles.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 03:31:45 pm by Korbac »

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2014, 04:29:42 pm »

To try and make the Wasteland robots "weaker" there was this added...(I actually cant remember if it is from one of my upteen billion attempts at adding new bots...or Deon putting in something to kill my "invincible army" because as you've found out, even made out of copper they're nigh-indestructible)
Code: [Select]
[BODY:CPU]
[BP:CUC:CPU casing:STP]
[CON:UB]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:300]
[BP:CU:central processing unit:STP]
[CON:CUC]
[THOUGHT]
[INTERNAL]
[SMALL]
[CATEGORY:BRAIN]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:100]
note that the "casing" isn't internal, so it's basically an access panel somewhere on the upper body with the CPU right underneath it.  The tissue for the case is usually either thinner than the other tissues, or is made of a easily fracture-able material like glass.  A lucky shot with a rifle, or a targeted melee attack can kill the biggest, baddest robot in one hit.
There is also the option of adding hydraulics & pumps (...or maybe lines and E-tanks?) as a circulatory-system analogue.  Allowing them to "bleed out" (give the lines and tanks a high healing rate so only repeated cuts could kill the bot)

You mind If I try and cobble together a mechanic caste based off of Auto?  http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Auto
figure I can give them interactions to repaint and replace limbs...
...unless you want to do it yourself as part of learning process?

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2014, 04:36:20 pm »

I'll be sticking my own interactions in for other robots, but if you want to put in a healer class, that's cool by me! ^_^ I think I'll keep very slow automatic repairs on, but the mechanic class would be useful for more severe injuries / lost limbs. :)

The access panel thing sounds like a cool idea, but I think I'll go with the circulatory - system analogue : Making the circuitry vascular, and re-colouring the blood.

Edit : Giving the robots maxed - out toughness is probably not the best idea. I might have to go with the circuit - box idea, there's currently no way to make enough blood spill out.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 05:59:53 pm by Korbac »

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2014, 08:52:42 am »

Most of the Robot Masters and Reploids have a gem or some sort of decoration on their forehead...could put their IC chip right behind that.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 11:55:32 am »

Thanks for the help! :) As it turns out, if I just churn up [VASCULAR:VALUE] enough, I can get a skilled warrior with an axe to destroy the robots by fracturing several circuits. They're still tough, but I suppose that will be sufficient.
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2014, 07:26:04 am »

Hey guys! Yes, it's me again. Uni has finished and I've finally copied across the files to my PC to start work on this again.

My first question is : How do I replace "blood" with "oil"? Do I need to make a separate tissue for it in the tissue files, or do I just need to rename blood and make it black?

Hmmn... Now that I've said that I'll try it - it seems easy enough.

Edit : It worked! :)

Alright, question 2 : When it comes to attributes, the wiki says some have an average of 1000, while others have an average of 1250. Is this correct?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 10:40:32 am by Wysthric »
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.
Pages: 1 [2] 3