Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Nudist Colony Challenge  (Read 4886 times)

Ramaraunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok is Laughing
    • View Profile
The Nudist Colony Challenge
« on: May 20, 2014, 12:20:29 pm »

I've been failing at this game do hard lately. I recently lost a siege because I messed up uniforms and ordered all my dwarves to charge into the fight naked. However, after this experiance, I noticed that a naked military  can actually kill a few enemies before it goes down, as long as they are at least wielding weapons. It looks like that if they were trained better, they would have maybe won the fight. So, this caused me to come up with a dwarfy challenge to spice up DF gameplay.

Rules:

*Draft every dorf in the military, and give them a naked uniform. Weapons, quivers, and backpacks are allowed.
*No drawbridges or traps are allowed. When an enemy comes up, you have to fight them with your dorfsand their animals only.
*No exploits. (I.e. danger rooms)

I'm going to post about my first attempt at this in a little bit...
The moment you realize that there is no iron.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: The Nudist Colony Challenge
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 12:26:34 pm »

I think that your main problem with this wouldn't be your dwarves surviving a fight, it'd b your dwarves going insane from the combined bad thoughts they'd get from not wearing any clothes, plus the thoughts from getting drafted, long patrol duty, getting attacked, etc.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 12:36:42 pm »

Really, you can allow danger rooms if the dwarves in it are naked. It'll turn into more of a slaughterhouse than a training camp.
My interactive forum thing: Adventures of Sir Major

Ramaraunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok is Laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 12:51:48 pm »

I think that your main problem with this wouldn't be your dwarves surviving a fight, it'd b your dwarves going insane from the combined bad thoughts they'd get from not wearing any clothes, plus the thoughts from getting drafted, long patrol duty, getting attacked, etc.

That's kinda the point.

If things go too badly, I'll just change things up. Maybe only military is nude. Could be like the naked fanatics from ancient germany. Or maybe I could mod something.
The moment you realize that there is no iron.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 03:31:46 pm »

The [NOEMOTION] token will avoid your dorfs getting upset about lack of clothing, but will also make them not get upset about anything at all. No tantrums, no insanity and so on.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 03:37:29 pm »

None of the other bad thoughts you mentioned are guaranteed for military.

* Getting drafted is only a negative thought IF they have zero military skills and only IF you draft them not during a siege. The guys who come to your fort with "competent swordsdwarf" etc. you can draft with no negative consequences in peacetime.
* Long patrol duty - Actually not 100% sure about this, but I think if you manually give them a break (by doing "s" "a" then "i" or whatever inactive button is), they won't get this thought. If you use an automated schedule to give them breaks, they still will. I never Science'd it carefully, but I often manually turn squads on and off and rarely get this thought.
* They stop getting bad thoughts from being attacked with some experience. You can wean them on easier foes potentially, like caged goblins with no weapons, sponges, bronze collosi with no limbs, etc. It may take more planning and preparation, but sooner or later you can get them to where they get POSITIVE thoughts from fighting ("took joy in slaughter recently") and then they're ready for prime time.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 04:58:42 pm »

I've been failing at this game do hard lately. I recently lost a siege because I messed up uniforms and ordered all my dwarves to charge into the fight naked. However, after this experiance, I noticed that a naked military  can actually kill a few enemies before it goes down, as long as they are at least wielding weapons. It looks like that if they were trained better, they would have maybe won the fight. So, this caused me to come up with a dwarfy challenge to spice up DF gameplay.

Rules:

*Draft every dorf in the military, and give them a naked uniform. Weapons, quivers, and backpacks are allowed.
*No drawbridges or traps are allowed. When an enemy comes up, you have to fight them with your dorfsand their animals only.
*No exploits. (I.e. danger rooms)

I'm going to post about my first attempt at this in a little bit...

If you u/l an embark save to DFFD, this could make for a great community challenge fort.  Dorfs may hate being naked, but

HEY!  THAT'S A SPECTACULAR TABLE!!!!!

(there are ways to cope, is what I'm saying.  Seeing how each individual player does so could be a laugh riot.)
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 05:18:48 pm »

"Long Patrol duty" thoughts can be banished by just going into the schedule screen and making less than ten dwarves per squad need to be trained at a go.  I usually use 3 out of 10 per squad and have them actively training non-stop.  Whenever one gets tired or hungry/thirsty, they'll stop training and another one from that squad will take their place.  Another advantage of this is that "watching a demonstration" is much less effective than actual sparring.  Often, the three will get into a three-way sparring session, while four or more will mostly be "watch a demonstration".  So win/win.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 05:11:49 am »

Nice idea. Maybe try this somewhere... But witn weapon+shield uniform, they would survive a bit longer and still fit the idea of naked wariors charging into the battle.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 07:17:24 pm »

"Long Patrol duty" thoughts can be banished by just going into the schedule screen and making less than ten dwarves per squad need to be trained at a go.  I usually use 3 out of 10 per squad and have them actively training non-stop.  Whenever one gets tired or hungry/thirsty, they'll stop training and another one from that squad will take their place.  Another advantage of this is that "watching a demonstration" is much less effective than actual sparring.  Often, the three will get into a three-way sparring session, while four or more will mostly be "watch a demonstration".  So win/win.
So you talk about sparring naked dwarfs instead of naked dwarfs watching demonstration, Where is exactly the win/win in this scenario?
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 02:45:55 pm »

So you talk about sparring naked dwarfs instead of naked dwarfs watching demonstration, Where is exactly the win/win in this scenario?

The win/win is that you can just draft everybody into squads where 3 train at a go, and eventually you have a populace that can ALL dodge arrows or strike intruders down with one blow.  I tell you what, an entire population of archers/wrestlers is a beautiful thing to see.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 02:50:35 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 09:10:29 pm »

* Long patrol duty - Actually not 100% sure about this, but I think if you manually give them a break (by doing "s" "a" then "i" or whatever inactive button is), they won't get this thought. If you use an automated schedule to give them breaks, they still will. I never Science'd it carefully, but I often manually turn squads on and off and rarely get this thought.
* They stop getting bad thoughts from being attacked with some experience. You can wean them on easier foes potentially, like caged goblins with no weapons, sponges, bronze collosi with no limbs, etc. It may take more planning and preparation, but sooner or later you can get them to where they get POSITIVE thoughts from fighting ("took joy in slaughter recently") and then they're ready for prime time.

They get long patrol duty either way - it's currently just a count that ticks upward any time they're active and doesn't actually tick downward unless the year changes. It's fairly broken.
They only get good thoughts from sparring and killing someone. So they won't get bad thoughts with experience, unless they get injured, but they don't get the good thoughts from fighting unless they're actually useful.

I ran a pretty big military fort a while back. After 50+ militia I figured I had to start paying attention to stuff like that, or the first tantrum spiral I had would result in the entire fort getting painted with blood.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 11:57:59 am »

The only way I would see this as feasible would be to create an absolutely massive army of xbow dwarves. Marksmen rarely get into hand to hand combat anyway if you use them properly and without any traps there would be no way to train your neophyte melee dwarves since you can't take prisoners. I guess perhaps you could have the melee dwarves wait until the enemies are shot full of bolts first but in the end I think it would still come down to the markdwarves being your main viable defense, probably paired with a catwalk dodge pits that empty into a deep enough pits to maim or kill most enemies. Mine cart shotguns, magma weapons etc. would also be a relatively high priority since xbow dwarves alone probably aren't going to cut it for long.

I think the negative thoughts will be the biggest problem. The negative thoughts from going naked are extremely negative. I haven't done any exact science but I know when I get a dwarf that is missing a crucial piece of clothing they go crazy about as quickly as if you kill multiple friends and pets.

Edit: I thought about it a little more and I don't think there would be anyway to keep a standing naked military unless you only had them change into their naked uniforms during combat and you rotated between using different squads so as to keep a single squad from having to go naked more than maybe a couple of times a year. I think training wouldn't be worth the negative thoughts generated by the nudity. All training would have to be live enemy combat to be worth it to keep the experience gain in line with the damage to moral. Depending on siege frequency this may or may not be possible. I currently run a fort where I get a massive goblin siege about 3 or 4 times a year. I can't imagine being able to keep my dwarves naked for that long without them going bonkers and I run a pretty happy fort. Maybe with misters everywhere it could work, particularly placing them over fortification areas where the marksmen will be during battles.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 12:11:10 pm by Melting Sky »