Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 84

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 188720 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus Techland: Let the testing commence.
« Reply #345 on: July 25, 2014, 06:58:16 am »

Anton Chernozorov

"XO, this thing isn't getting any smaller yet. Should I annoy it with the Party Wagon's lasers, or is that artillery going to kick in sometime soon?"

Keep the Party Wagon following the creature at a safe distance, mind possible artillery and bombardment trajectories as before. If it tries to change direction, provide it with laser-based incentive not to, at least until the bombardment begins.

Also, now that it's all out (so far as we know), how big a mass are we actually looking at here?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #346 on: July 25, 2014, 09:48:37 am »

Charles prepares to run if necessary. If the flesh-horror bursts out and attacks, he will cast Summon Sheep and use Speech to convince everything in the area not to harm him.
The lights go out as something else shakes through the complex. The suspended floor sways to compensate for the movement of the ground, and you feel only a strange wiggling sensation.
Charles attempts to discern the source of the sensation.
The source of the sensation that the ground is rocking? Gonna guess thats the flesh horror.

Anton Chernozorov

"XO, this thing isn't getting any smaller yet. Should I annoy it with the Party Wagon's lasers, or is that artillery going to kick in sometime soon?"

Keep the Party Wagon following the creature at a safe distance, mind possible artillery and bombardment trajectories as before. If it tries to change direction, provide it with laser-based incentive not to, at least until the bombardment begins.

Also, now that it's all out (so far as we know), how big a mass are we actually looking at here?

The party wagon follows behind the creature, occasionally zapping the ground near it to keep it on course. Dang it, where is that artillery! Is simus asleep again?

As per size...hard to say. It's fucking big, thats for sure, it looks like an earthworm scaled up to Godzilla proportions and then made very gross looking.

Everything is in place to be fired, I just need Simus' go ahead and clarification on the type of thing being used.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 25, 2014, 10:13:36 am »

((I know this thing is technically useless, because everything is actually text, but it justifies some OOC knowledge and makes a lot of sense in-universe.  Also, it's not like I can do much else right now >.>

Also, ARG I missed the turn. >.<))

1.Remember that program I wrote during the Heph defense, that blinded my teammates?  I want to return to that, but expand it much more.  Rather than just highlight designated shapes through walls, I want it to try and build a complete 3D map of what a user is seeing, using binocular vision.  It should try to mesh maps created from multiple sources, so a group of sods would all build a single map.  It does not need to save significant detail, only the basic structural layout, and possibly significant deviations in color or texture so that something like a blood spatter is visible.  Since it obviously requires a lot of CPU, run it on one of our servers.

2.Try to make it capable of outputting a 3D hologram-type image (visually similar to this), by directly altering the video feed from my robo-eyes.  Not an actual projection; directly alter what my eyes are sending me.  Preferably, make it compatible with the user's movement so that I can walk around the image and actually look at it from different angles.

3.Test it by having ten or so robosods run around some building, and command them while watching the hologram they build.  Does it even work?  Does it actually help with understanding what's going on?

4.Ask ARESTEVE if there's any caches of infantry weapons that are accessible from the robosod storage area.  If there are some nearby, send as many robosods as I can to get weapons.

5.If any do, please tell me exactly how many robosods are equipped with weapons.  Please?  We currently have 250 robosods.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #348 on: July 26, 2014, 09:43:28 am »

Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of...

It's emerged! Aresteve, open fire with all available units, but do not fire the Hammer yet. Is there anything critical in its probable path?

Somewhere out past orbit, one of the surviving warships stirs. It's damaged and empty, its halls in hard vacuum and its cockpit vacant, but some force from below is compelling it into movement once more. It slowly turns, uneven bursts of short lived fire billowing out behind it, the onboard computer correcting for dead engines as it wheels the ship around and brings one of the gauss cannons to bear. The heavy servos at its base adjust by fractions of degrees while the coils charge and the automanips extend their reality distorting fields. From inside the ship's belly, a metal round, big as a trailer home, heavy as a supertanker filled with molten lead, follows the automated loading mechanisms until it finally slots into place in the barrel of the cannon. Anyone watching the sensors back on planet could detect the spike in electrical and magnetic discharge, the odd warping of reality in a distinct area somewhere overhead. If they had a powerful enough telescope, they might even be able to see that distortion crackling across the length of the cannon and the ship's hull, strange slow motion arks of saint elmo's fire. The Ship's engines flare powerfully, counteracting the coming recoil, and the cannon corrects its aim as the ship turns slightly. And then it fires. There's no sound, at least on any bandwidth human ears are privy to, though anyone casting their ear to the vibrations of the electromagnetic spectrum would hear a sound like the trumpet of Armageddon.

>32 seconds to impact. Please brace. Locking down vulnerable systems. Do not look to the west until the all clear has been sounded. All forces near the target should withdraw.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 26, 2014, 09:50:47 am »

Well, one things for sure piecewise, you certainly have a flair for the dramatic.
Kinda like terry Pratchett crossed with H.P love craft.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 26, 2014, 06:19:32 pm »

Charles braces for impact (remove WILL dynamic bonus and gain END bonus.) and ensures that he isn't in the dangerzone and that his ClF3 magazine is a safe distance away and pointing at something unimportant. Inquire.
Nothing I can do I guess; just gotta wait this out and hope my comrades know what they're doing; they're experienced, right? Though I may as well get some work done right now...

"ARESTEVE, is it possible to hook up a sod brain to a robot body that is already occupied and have the user switch control of the body over to the sod brain when in a combat situation?"
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 03:41:29 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 27, 2014, 03:14:57 am »

Anton Chernozorov

>32 seconds to impact. Please brace. Locking down vulnerable systems. Do not look to the west until the all clear has been sounded. All forces near the target should withdraw.

"XO, does controlled destruction really not exist in your worldview? Pulling the Party Wagon out. Let's hope it survives intact."

Put the Party Wagon into full reverse, directing it away from the creature and upwards, maintaining camera contact with the impact site. Have some onboard cameras shut off and/or directed away in case the flash burns out the working ones and backups are needed.

In the last few seconds before impact, look around to see if the Control Center is safe enough to be in without bracing. If it doesn't look like a sudden jolt with drop the whole wall with monitors onto me, just sit tight, hold onto the console, and wait for impact. Otherwise... well nothing much else to do but try and brace for impact otherwise.

Once whatever effect from impact is over, check the state of the Party Wagon and get its cameras, if it still has any, looking back at the impact site to see what happened.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 27, 2014, 03:46:07 am »

((Hmm... where could Charles find out about the crystalline projector's injector effects (specifically when it crystallizes someone but they remain alive)? It may come in handy with improving the durability of the Thoughtsphere idea I have.)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #354 on: July 27, 2014, 12:13:04 pm »

Allow myself twenty seconds to get into the base and find a good spot for bracing.  Then brace.  Lock my exoskeleton, or activate EMM- whichever provides a better end bonus, maybe even charge a dynamic end bonus if I can.[.b]
You get yourself into the base, brace yourself in a doorway and then lock your exoskeleton. It's about as sturdy a position as you can take.

Charles braces for impact (remove WILL dynamic bonus and gain END bonus.) and ensures that he isn't in the dangerzone and that his ClF3 magazine is a safe distance away and pointing at something unimportant. Inquire.
Nothing I can do I guess; just gotta wait this out and hope my comrades know what they're doing; they're experienced, right? Though I may as well get some work done right now...

"ARESTEVE, is it possible to hook up a sod brain to a robot body that is already occupied and have the user switch control of the body over to the sod brain when in a combat situation?"

>Yes.

Anton Chernozorov

"XO, does controlled destruction really not exist in your worldview? Pulling the Party Wagon out. Let's hope it survives intact."

Put the Party Wagon into full reverse, directing it away from the creature and upwards, maintaining camera contact with the impact site. Have some onboard cameras shut off and/or directed away in case the flash burns out the working ones and backups are needed.

In the last few seconds before impact, look around to see if the Control Center is safe enough to be in without bracing. If it doesn't look like a sudden jolt with drop the whole wall with monitors onto me, just sit tight, hold onto the console, and wait for impact. Otherwise... well nothing much else to do but try and brace for impact otherwise.

Once whatever effect from impact is over, check the state of the Party Wagon and get its cameras, if it still has any, looking back at the impact site to see what happened.

Anton is about the only person with mechanical eyes locked on the impact site when the shell drops. There's no sound, the microphones on the cameras just scream static, unable to transfer the noise being pumped into them. The cameras aren't much better; they don't have anywhere near enough frames per second in recording speed to catch the shell as it passes, even if anton went back and reviewed the footage frame by frame he wouldn't have been able to see the white hot, mostly molten glob of tungsten and tungsten carbide and other dense heavy metals making its cataclysmic touchdown. The world is there one moment, and then nothing but white light the next. He has a few seconds to stare at the monitors, praying that they don't suddenly cut to static as his ship gets swatted from the sky by some sort of malevolent pressure wave, before the shockwave hits. The shockwave hitting feels like someone picks the entire room up, lifts it a few feet, and then drops it straight onto the ground. Anton finds himself suddenly on his back, staring up at the ceiling, with his chair laying on top of him. Luckily, none of the monitors have dropped onto his head, though a few have been jostled about in their cradles and are hanging rather dangerously.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 27, 2014, 12:19:40 pm »

((Haha, I was just about to post, and PW ninja'd me.))

"As ARESTEVE said, yes, it is possible.  I wrote a program that can do it for you, quite easily.  Would you like me to send it to you?"

1.Try and get any scout eyes or mobile cameras of any form that may have survived over to the crater, and get a view.  If there's no cameras at all, pilot one of my auxiliary bodies to check it out.

2.Try and survey the general damage- how much infrastructure was destroyed?

3.Ask ARESTEVE if there's any undestroyed caches of infantry weapons that are accessible from the robosod storage area.  If there are some nearby, send as many robosods as I can to get weapons.

4.If any do, please tell me exactly how many robosods are equipped with weapons.  Please?  We currently have 300 robosods.

5.I'd assume he already has access, but just to make sure, send Charles a copy of my remote-body program, along with instructions on it's use.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 27, 2014, 01:38:07 pm »

"As ARESTEVE said, yes, it is possible.  I wrote a program that can do it for you, quite easily.  Would you like me to send it to you?"
"Yes please, that would be quite useful for the idea I am currently exploring."

"How large are the brain containment,  life-support systems and external connections required for a sod brain?"
Inquire

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 27, 2014, 03:08:51 pm »

Aresteve, I want eyes on the impact zone as quickly as you can get them - if it's not dead now, we need to know before what's left of it has a chance to escape.

Let's find out whether many tons of hypervelocity metal and ceramic was enough to kill a living overload, shall we?

((Odd to see a Sunday update.

Then again, nobody can complain about a bombardment update. Nobody.))
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 03:13:58 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 27, 2014, 09:27:50 pm »

"I would not call it 'working on', if only because I have faith that my technical expertize is quite lacking, too lacking indeed to use such a confident term. I digress.

I am thinking of having sod brains stored in detachable modules which may be attached to robot bodies or exoskeletons in order to assist the less capable, such as myself, in combat. I suppose you could compare it to a crutch for those unsuited to warfare and unlikely to ever train for such occasions, yet may end up in such dangerous situations, dedicated medics, engineers and the like or just mentally fatigued amp users who would rather have something else move them and fight on their behalf whilst they rest. If what little I know about sods is correct, then it would be a situational weapon, something only useful when in a scenario the sod has been trained in."

There were more thoughts racing through Charles' mind of course, though they remained unsaid for the sake of brevity. The idea that was currently acting as a second focal point for his thoughts (the other focal always being the bold text and phantasms) was the concept of an 'escape' sod, a unit trained to evade enemy fire and scramble to safety in the most efficient manner possible, after all, the entire point of these 'thoughtspheres' was to keep key units alive, standing and fighting would likely be the purpose of a regular combat sod, no self preservation, just duty. Such thing whilst of limited use, may be unsuitable for the assignment, rather, something that can and will run away to protect itself is far more congruent with the purposes of thoughtspheres. Of course, durability is going to be an issue, as is weight and size...

((I wonder if manipulator overload response sods are possible :P))
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:43:30 am by Empiricist »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 84