Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 84

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 188735 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus Techland: Let the testing commence.
« Reply #285 on: July 06, 2014, 01:55:24 pm »

((Oops. Sorry, syvarris. >_>))

Anton Chernozorov

How many you want? I assume more then one. Unless I haven't properly impressed upon you the size of this thing.

I believe my original request was for five. So, to reiterate, five eighth-kiloton neutron bombs. Unless that's also insufficient. Wasn't the giant crater we had to clean up left by an eighth-kiloton blast?

Before we do this, exactly what is the difference between these two systems and what sort of effect would it have on a weapon made using it? This is rather important because I'm not very knowledgeable on such things, so you're probably in the best position to describe how this thing should act.
((Okay, so, slightly detailed description of what it is.

A solid-state laser is, in princile, mostly a box. The laser appears somewhere in the lasing medium (or perhaps everywhere in the lasing medium), comes out of that medium, and needs to be focused.

A FEL consists of several parts. The lasing medium is a stream of electrons accelerated to near-lightspeed, generated by an array of klystrons (electron guns) and an accelerator. This stream of electrons then passes through what's called a "wiggler" - a block of magnets that makes the electron stream oscillate perpendicular to the stream direction, generating photons at each peak of the oscillation. The generation of the photons makes other electrons in the stream gradually "bunch up" at the peaks, effectively making the whole thing oscillate in sync and creating a coherent beam of light - a laser. The process by which the bunch-up occurs can be accelerated by "seeding" - passing a laser beam of the required wavelength through the wiggler. Given enough time to "cook", a FEL's output can reach a power level many times that of the electron stream itself. The wavelength of the output beam can be easily adjusted by tuning the power of the electron beam and/or the power of the magnets in the wiggler. The Wiki has a good schematic.

Bottom line: a FEL is larger, heavier, and more complex than a solid-state laser, but can freely emit beams of anything from microwaves to x-rays with a turn of a knob, and, at least hypothetically and/or taking potential future developments into account, capable of getting better beam output power for the same constant energy input. Plus it could literally "charge" a shot, for good instant stopping power that a laser normally lacks in comparison to a gauss weapon.))

Do the FEL scaledown thing.

Also do the PSL shard discharge testing. What size of shard will burst into enough electricity to kill a man? To fire a shot of a gauss rifle? Gauss cannon? Also experiment with making PSL shards grow into less sharp and pointy shapes than it normally does - as close to a sphere or cylinder as possible.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 06, 2014, 02:37:47 pm »

((The man wants to make laser 'bullets'.

I see no reason to stop this from happening other than practicality - just sticking a generator on it would be easier for all involved.

And PW, I think you have failed to impress upon him the size of the thing. Sean - that crater we had to clean up already existed for the most part - the bomb was punted into a ship pit. I would start at full-kiloton yields (keeping in mind that measuring yields of neutron bombs in tons of TNT is kinda... missing the point).))

Can it also be made that the uncompensator I'm designing can be remotely activated/deactived (not triggered, but toggling active state)?
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 06, 2014, 03:15:35 pm »

((I won't deny the possibility that the exact scale of the thing eludes me, but it's still wormlike in shape, so a series of lesser warheads spaced along the length would work better, no?

And we do still have to measure the yield in something. Since it's deadly penetrating radiation, we could measure it in Simus' Death-Glares. :P

As for "laser bullets"... eh, not quite. I want to make a continuous-beam laser that can overcharge into a high-energy pulse laser. I recall the scene where Anton and Auron tested their weapons together against a proto-Altered - neither a continuous beam nor a weak pulsed beam could deal significant damage quickly. If you had to kill such a creature (or an armored opponent in general), you'd have to concentrate fire on a single point for some time. Using an overcharged laser pulse, you could get that initial "punch" to get through the enemy's armor quickly enough to deal critical damage, even if the enemy is quickly moving. The operating principle of the FEL just seems well-suited to this kind of thing, to me. :P))

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 06, 2014, 04:26:23 pm »

((You're making what amount to one-shot capacitors for it. This has been done before.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 06, 2014, 06:30:27 pm »

Welp.  Since I've never actually made an int or cha check yet, can I switch my five in cha to int, and continue tinkering like I was?

If not, I guess I have to do whatever it is I have to do to be allowed to tinker again.  Read books, I guess.

Also, since this really shouldn't require intelligence, open up VR, and spawn a sod with MK.III style flight rockets, and give him battlestims.  Three each for strength, endurance, and dexterity.

Have him pop all nine stims at once, and then fight an unarmed synthflesh body.  How's he do?

EDIT: Lastly, and most importantly, download the latest version of Dwarf Fortress.  Bask in the glory.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 07, 2014, 02:32:37 am »

"In that case, how easy is it for a commander to teach them something, such as persuasive speaking?"
Inquire.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 04:22:22 pm by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #291 on: July 10, 2014, 10:58:59 am »

((Oops. Sorry, syvarris. >_>))

Anton Chernozorov

How many you want? I assume more then one. Unless I haven't properly impressed upon you the size of this thing.

I believe my original request was for five. So, to reiterate, five eighth-kiloton neutron bombs. Unless that's also insufficient. Wasn't the giant crater we had to clean up left by an eighth-kiloton blast?

Before we do this, exactly what is the difference between these two systems and what sort of effect would it have on a weapon made using it? This is rather important because I'm not very knowledgeable on such things, so you're probably in the best position to describe how this thing should act.
((Okay, so, slightly detailed description of what it is.

A solid-state laser is, in princile, mostly a box. The laser appears somewhere in the lasing medium (or perhaps everywhere in the lasing medium), comes out of that medium, and needs to be focused.

A FEL consists of several parts. The lasing medium is a stream of electrons accelerated to near-lightspeed, generated by an array of klystrons (electron guns) and an accelerator. This stream of electrons then passes through what's called a "wiggler" - a block of magnets that makes the electron stream oscillate perpendicular to the stream direction, generating photons at each peak of the oscillation. The generation of the photons makes other electrons in the stream gradually "bunch up" at the peaks, effectively making the whole thing oscillate in sync and creating a coherent beam of light - a laser. The process by which the bunch-up occurs can be accelerated by "seeding" - passing a laser beam of the required wavelength through the wiggler. Given enough time to "cook", a FEL's output can reach a power level many times that of the electron stream itself. The wavelength of the output beam can be easily adjusted by tuning the power of the electron beam and/or the power of the magnets in the wiggler. The Wiki has a good schematic.

Bottom line: a FEL is larger, heavier, and more complex than a solid-state laser, but can freely emit beams of anything from microwaves to x-rays with a turn of a knob, and, at least hypothetically and/or taking potential future developments into account, capable of getting better beam output power for the same constant energy input. Plus it could literally "charge" a shot, for good instant stopping power that a laser normally lacks in comparison to a gauss weapon.))

Do the FEL scaledown thing.

Also do the PSL shard discharge testing. What size of shard will burst into enough electricity to kill a man? To fire a shot of a gauss rifle? Gauss cannon? Also experiment with making PSL shards grow into less sharp and pointy shapes than it normally does - as close to a sphere or cylinder as possible.

Yeah, but these are neutron bombs, much more radiation, much less boom. But we'll go with 5, and burn further bridges when we come to them.

heh, wiggler.

Alright so what I'm seeing here is a laser that can effectively fire across the wave spectrum and is more powerful then a normal laser, if given time to warm up. How long is that Cook time, exactly? And would you be firing the beam the entire time it cooks or would it be cycling internally? And if it is the latter, would that require a loop within the gun or could that loop be made in the wiggler?

I think someone up above talked about this one shot capacitor thing. As per size, it depends. The energy output per crystal isn't set, even if they're all the same size, unfortunately. It's not a huge variance normally, but if you wanted to get it juuuuust right and keep it as small as possible, you're gonna need to do a hell of a lot of testing with various sized shards in real life, since the VR can't accurately simulate the variables of their lattice makeup.

((The man wants to make laser 'bullets'.

I see no reason to stop this from happening other than practicality - just sticking a generator on it would be easier for all involved.

And PW, I think you have failed to impress upon him the size of the thing. Sean - that crater we had to clean up already existed for the most part - the bomb was punted into a ship pit. I would start at full-kiloton yields (keeping in mind that measuring yields of neutron bombs in tons of TNT is kinda... missing the point).))

Can it also be made that the uncompensator I'm designing can be remotely activated/deactived (not triggered, but toggling active state)?
Ah, a pew pew gun rather then a bzzzzzzz gun.

Sure. Have to pack in a good fractal antenna in there and it will have a limited  range (limited as in a set number of miles) assuming you don't want them to have an aerial coming out of their skull.

Welp.  Since I've never actually made an int or cha check yet, can I switch my five in cha to int, and continue tinkering like I was?

If not, I guess I have to do whatever it is I have to do to be allowed to tinker again.  Read books, I guess.

Also, since this really shouldn't require intelligence, open up VR, and spawn a sod with MK.III style flight rockets, and give him battlestims.  Three each for strength, endurance, and dexterity.

Have him pop all nine stims at once, and then fight an unarmed synthflesh body.  How's he do?

EDIT: Lastly, and most importantly, download the latest version of Dwarf Fortress.  Bask in the glory.

Yeah sure. Go make yourself a proper nerd.

As per that fight, The synthflesh will win, but only because the guy doesn't have the exoskeleton of the MK3. So he punches so hard that he destroys his arms and moves so fast his muscles tear. Give him a mechanical system to back him up and he'd tear the synth flesh man in half. Literally.

DF version 8. √2?

Around 3465 The Toadytron computer began getting a bit theoretical in its programming. The 7.e release featured extensive use of Non-Euclidean geometry which had interesting effects on players.

Technically, further versions of DF are classified as neuro-weapons.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 10, 2014, 04:36:43 pm »

Alright so what I'm seeing here is a laser that can effectively fire across the wave spectrum and is more powerful then a normal laser, if given time to warm up. How long is that Cook time, exactly? And would you be firing the beam the entire time it cooks or would it be cycling internally? And if it is the latter, would that require a loop within the gun or could that loop be made in the wiggler?
((Conventionally, I think the biggest problem of the FEL in real-life is the electron acceleration, so normally the charge-up time would be the electron accelerator spooling up. With that disregarded (say, by having the accelerator always spooled up since it runs off a generator - kinda like the proton packs, but without the packs), as far as I could find the real FEL reaches its nominal output within a short enough time as to be inconsequential, even unseeded.

I'm not sure how wrong I am on this and in which direction, but erring on the side of longer and taking future developments and the fact that it's being crammed into a personal weapon into account let's say that it will reach its nominal continuous power level within one second of continuous firing if the shot is not charged.

If the shot is charged, the output of the beam is looped back into the wiggler, amplifying the power of the beam exponentially as the electrons clump together more rapidly. Taking all of the above into account, I'd say that within some two seconds of charging the beam will reach its maximum theoretical power, at which point it is dangerously close to just burning through the weapon itself. While the shot charges no beam is emitted. When the shot is discharged, the initial microsecond pulse could be over twice the power of a standard laser, rapidly falling off to the beam's regular maximum power.

This is all highly theoretical. Current-tech FELs are the sort of thing you build a building around. :P

Since my explanations always work better with pictures (that's not to say they always work, sadly :P), here's some pictures.

...What is it with me and drawing all of the stuff I plan? :P))

I think someone up above talked about this one shot capacitor thing. As per size, it depends. The energy output per crystal isn't set, even if they're all the same size, unfortunately. It's not a huge variance normally, but if you wanted to get it juuuuust right and keep it as small as possible, you're gonna need to do a hell of a lot of testing with various sized shards in real life, since the VR can't accurately simulate the variables of their lattice makeup.
((Fair enough. I'd still like at least a ballpark estimate on the size for the things I mentioned - kill a human, fire a gauss rifle, fire a gauss cannon. There might be no point working on it if it takes a crystal roughly the size of a grapefruit to fire a gauss rifle, for instance - even with possible improvements, it's just not practical.))
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:38:16 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 12, 2014, 06:10:17 am »

((Sean, those both look rather... unergonomic. Especially the plain laser rifle - that battery port does not look like it would make a good grip. [/nitpick]))

Make one, but only just one remote-capable Will uncompensator. Also, make enough tracker/electrification implants (like the ones put in all HMRC prisoners/ARM operatives) to be able to put one in all the captured civilian workers+Xanclone and Grate, while we're making implants.

Anton, how are things on the front of us getting rid of that abomination?

Saint, I'm making some implants, mostly for the captured civilians - when they're done and you're ready, I'd like you and Charles to go, him convincing - just the canned speech he's made should be fine, and you implanting. Nobody works here without an implant, am I clear? And yes, that means the new Grate will get one as well. Also, there's another implant being made, alongside the usual tracker and electric implant, especially for Xan, whom we have a clone of in stasis. It should render him... mostly harmless. I have the keys to the room his chamber is in, and his chamber, so I'll open it when you're ready to put it in. The second key will be left in your possession at this time - both must be used to open it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 06:12:09 am by PyroDesu »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 12, 2014, 06:43:38 am »

((Sean, those both look rather... unergonomic. Especially the plain laser rifle - that battery port does not look like it would make a good grip. [/nitpick]))
((Damn it Pyro, I'm an artist, not a weapons designer! [/McCoy] :P

More seriously, I've actually been given the impression that the standard lasers are exactly that - boxy, slightly unergonomic, quintessence of function-over-form sort of things. The grip on the battery port is probably more a result of lousy sketching on my side.

I'll happily make any adjustments you think should be there. Anton will probably design it as-is first - he is likely more concerned with the part that shoots lasers, not the part that lets a person comfortably hold it. Also, that place where you would normally press your face against the eyepiece of the digital sight is right on top of the particle accelerator - the one with all the powerful magnets and high-energy matter streams. Better hope you have a nonconductive ceramic face or can use the remote camera feed from the sight for firing. :P

Also, this thing will require like 4 strength to hold. It's probably heavier than the gauss rifle.))

Anton Chernozorov

"First batch of bombs and drones are ready to go, just need a plan. Do we just send them in one by one until the whole thing's dead, or something else? I'll be sending them on the way now, it's sort of a long way down. We'll sort it out on-site."

Have the 5 bomb-drones descend into the affected area. Borrow some of Saint's relay drones to get the signal down to the contact area. If no better plan manifests itself, let 4 bomb-drones wait outside of the projected effect radius, have 1 bomb-drone approach the fleshmonster, set the timer to "enough time for everything else we have there to get clear", pull out all scout eyes and relays so they're safe from any electromagnetic effects, and wait for the neutron bomb to initiate. Then move in some scout eyes and observe results.

While the above is happening in the real world, see about getting that FEL portable-ized in VR, and get the rough estimates for PSL shard power output.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 12, 2014, 08:52:45 am »

((I was gonna type up a whole new turn, focused on finishing the Testament, but typing is hard because I got one've my hands burned.  So old turn it is.

Also, Sean, I really like your art- but if you ever redraw the FEL, add a thumbhole to the stock.  Also, the stock is super short, although that's not a bad thing for CQB.  Just makes it a bit more awkward when aiming.))

"Damn.  I spent centuries in stasis, and DF's only up to version 8. √2?  I envy those people who saw releases every other decade."

Turn below

1.Yes, I want the bodies to be perfectly normal for now.  We might make different bodies later, but normal's good for now.

2.Those flesh samples that Anton was testing on- I want to try something on them.  Take chlorine pentafluoride (ClF5, basically it's ClF3 but with 66.6% more concentrated hatred per mole.  It reacts with every element except noble gases, nitrogen, oxygen and fluorine.), and dump some on a flesh sample.  Does it resist that?

3.If the flesh does resist it, check how it does so.  Does it go the way of metals, and form a protective fluoride layer?  If so, dump water on the ClF5- supposedly, that creates heat, hydrogen fluoride, and chloryl fluoride, which apparently dissolves that protective fluoride.

4.If it resists all that, then make note of how it does so.  That seems like it might be useful.  Yay for advanced chemistry where none of the participants actually understand what they're working with.

Now, finally, back to the Testament & power suit or whatever I named it.

5.About the powered gloves on that suit I modified, and making them safe:  I'm not certain what it's called, but there's a method to monitor the integrity of a conductive surface by having electricity flow into it from one side, and measuring it at the other.  It can detect holes and other abnormalities in the material.  I want to set up something like that, and as long as it doesn't detect any abnormalities, it transmits a 'safe' signal.  If it stops transmitting, the power is cut.  To make sure it stays working, at all times have a very tiny amount of electricity flowing, just enough to measure the integrity, but not enough to damage a person.  Also, make sure it's possible to override the shutdown, although make sure it gives a BIG warning.

6.Additionally, see if I can make a similar power transmission surface over the glove's knuckles, so that a person can punch rather than grab.

7.Lastly, I want to know if the crystal rifle can penetrate milnoplate/longcoats when fired in automatic mode.  And can it penetrate synthflesh sufficiently to damage the braincase?

Spoiler: Old gun description (click to show/hide)

Suit has a 4 TPU generator between the shoulders, and a cable running down each arm to the palm.  There's a conductive surface on each palm, capable of transferring 4 TPU to anything the user grabs.  The gloves are turned on and off individually with voice commands, and if the cable's integrity is damaged, it shuts off automatically.

8. Can I get an estimate for the price of the Testament, in tokens?  Not including the suit.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 12, 2014, 10:35:10 am »

Also, Sean, I really like your art- but if you ever redraw the FEL, add a thumbhole to the stock.  Also, the stock is super short, although that's not a bad thing for CQB.  Just makes it a bit more awkward when aiming.))
((Thumbhole? Thumbhole. I knew I was missing something. Also, would collapsible look too skinny for the thing's bulk?

Also, should probably have the final output power up to a check of how well it's going to be designed. Anywhere between 150% and 250% of a standard laser's maximum power would be good. ^_^))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #297 on: July 12, 2014, 01:33:37 pm »

((Conventionally, I think the biggest problem of the FEL in real-life is the electron acceleration, so normally the charge-up time would be the electron accelerator spooling up. With that disregarded (say, by having the accelerator always spooled up since it runs off a generator - kinda like the proton packs, but without the packs), as far as I could find the real FEL reaches its nominal output within a short enough time as to be inconsequential, even unseeded.

I'm not sure how wrong I am on this and in which direction, but erring on the side of longer and taking future developments and the fact that it's being crammed into a personal weapon into account let's say that it will reach its nominal continuous power level within one second of continuous firing if the shot is not charged.

If the shot is charged, the output of the beam is looped back into the wiggler, amplifying the power of the beam exponentially as the electrons clump together more rapidly. Taking all of the above into account, I'd say that within some two seconds of charging the beam will reach its maximum theoretical power, at which point it is dangerously close to just burning through the weapon itself. While the shot charges no beam is emitted. When the shot is discharged, the initial microsecond pulse could be over twice the power of a standard laser, rapidly falling off to the beam's regular maximum power.

This is all highly theoretical. Current-tech FELs are the sort of thing you build a building around. :P

Since my explanations always work better with pictures (that's not to say they always work, sadly :P), here's some pictures.

...What is it with me and drawing all of the stuff I plan? :P))

((Fair enough. I'd still like at least a ballpark estimate on the size for the things I mentioned - kill a human, fire a gauss rifle, fire a gauss cannon. There might be no point working on it if it takes a crystal roughly the size of a grapefruit to fire a gauss rifle, for instance - even with possible improvements, it's just not practical.))
Lets see...

Ok, fair enough, I'm ignorant enough to go with that.

Alright.

*looks at pictures*

Hmm works for me.

Mental note, Source Sean for later needs with Unnamed project. Combination of skills shall prove helpful.

Well, I believe someone made a needle rifle and I gave some numbers there. Assume the smallest crystal he's firing is able to kill a man, or at least kill them 50% of the time and the rest of the time make them very close to dead. Electricity is weird. It has an odd habit of not killing people when it should and killing them when it shouldn't. Hm.
Gauss rifle, normal shot...eh...Not grapefruit fat, but a bit unwieldy, like 8 inches long or so, but thin.

Cannon is even larger, scale up several times in fact.

Make one, but only just one remote-capable Will uncompensator. Also, make enough tracker/electrification implants (like the ones put in all HMRC prisoners/ARM operatives) to be able to put one in all the captured civilian workers+Xanclone and Grate, while we're making implants.

Saint, I'm making some implants, mostly for the captured civilians - when they're done and you're ready, I'd like you and Charles to go, him convincing - just the canned speech he's made should be fine, and you implanting. Nobody works here without an implant, am I clear? And yes, that means the new Grate will get one as well. Also, there's another implant being made, alongside the usual tracker and electric implant, especially for Xan, whom we have a clone of in stasis. It should render him... mostly harmless. I have the keys to the room his chamber is in, and his chamber, so I'll open it when you're ready to put it in. The second key will be left in your possession at this time - both must be used to open it.

Done and done. Though I suggest you get the hospital machines to implant them, since fucking up generally kills or brain deads you.

((Damn it Pyro, I'm an artist, not a weapons designer! [/McCoy] :P

More seriously, I've actually been given the impression that the standard lasers are exactly that - boxy, slightly unergonomic, quintessence of function-over-form sort of things. The grip on the battery port is probably more a result of lousy sketching on my side.

I'll happily make any adjustments you think should be there. Anton will probably design it as-is first - he is likely more concerned with the part that shoots lasers, not the part that lets a person comfortably hold it. Also, that place where you would normally press your face against the eyepiece of the digital sight is right on top of the particle accelerator - the one with all the powerful magnets and high-energy matter streams. Better hope you have a nonconductive ceramic face or can use the remote camera feed from the sight for firing. :P

Also, this thing will require like 4 strength to hold. It's probably heavier than the gauss rifle.))

Anton Chernozorov

"First batch of bombs and drones are ready to go, just need a plan. Do we just send them in one by one until the whole thing's dead, or something else? I'll be sending them on the way now, it's sort of a long way down. We'll sort it out on-site."

Have the 5 bomb-drones descend into the affected area. Borrow some of Saint's relay drones to get the signal down to the contact area. If no better plan manifests itself, let 4 bomb-drones wait outside of the projected effect radius, have 1 bomb-drone approach the fleshmonster, set the timer to "enough time for everything else we have there to get clear", pull out all scout eyes and relays so they're safe from any electromagnetic effects, and wait for the neutron bomb to initiate. Then move in some scout eyes and observe results.

While the above is happening in the real world, see about getting that FEL portable-ized in VR, and get the rough estimates for PSL shard power output.

You send one of your flying bombs in and, after a while of pulling everyone back and getting everything prepared, you set it off.

See bottom of post.

((I was gonna type up a whole new turn, focused on finishing the Testament, but typing is hard because I got one've my hands burned.  So old turn it is.

"Damn.  I spent centuries in stasis, and DF's only up to version 8. √2?  I envy those people who saw releases every other decade."

Turn below

1.Yes, I want the bodies to be perfectly normal for now.  We might make different bodies later, but normal's good for now.

2.Those flesh samples that Anton was testing on- I want to try something on them.  Take chlorine pentafluoride (ClF5, basically it's ClF3 but with 66.6% more concentrated hatred per mole.  It reacts with every element except noble gases, nitrogen, oxygen and fluorine.), and dump some on a flesh sample.  Does it resist that?

3.If the flesh does resist it, check how it does so.  Does it go the way of metals, and form a protective fluoride layer?  If so, dump water on the ClF5- supposedly, that creates heat, hydrogen fluoride, and chloryl fluoride, which apparently dissolves that protective fluoride.

4.If it resists all that, then make note of how it does so.  That seems like it might be useful.  Yay for advanced chemistry where none of the participants actually understand what they're working with.

Now, finally, back to the Testament & power suit or whatever I named it.

5.About the powered gloves on that suit I modified, and making them safe:  I'm not certain what it's called, but there's a method to monitor the integrity of a conductive surface by having electricity flow into it from one side, and measuring it at the other.  It can detect holes and other abnormalities in the material.  I want to set up something like that, and as long as it doesn't detect any abnormalities, it transmits a 'safe' signal.  If it stops transmitting, the power is cut.  To make sure it stays working, at all times have a very tiny amount of electricity flowing, just enough to measure the integrity, but not enough to damage a person.  Also, make sure it's possible to override the shutdown, although make sure it gives a BIG warning.

6.Additionally, see if I can make a similar power transmission surface over the glove's knuckles, so that a person can punch rather than grab.

7.Lastly, I want to know if the crystal rifle can penetrate milnoplate/longcoats when fired in automatic mode.  And can it penetrate synthflesh sufficiently to damage the braincase?

Spoiler: Old gun description (click to show/hide)

Suit has a 4 TPU generator between the shoulders, and a cable running down each arm to the palm.  There's a conductive surface on each palm, capable of transferring 4 TPU to anything the user grabs.  The gloves are turned on and off individually with voice commands, and if the cable's integrity is damaged, it shuts off automatically.

8. Can I get an estimate for the price of the Testament, in tokens?  Not including the suit.

Hmmm.

1.Ok.

2.The flesh does not like this thing, however it appears to adapt via separating effected sections. Explosively.

3.See above.

4.Above.

5. Sounds fine to me. There will always be ways for it to break, but this is about as safe as possible without embedding it in lead at the bottom of the ocean.

6.Sure, no problem there. Might need to be of a sturdier material to survive much use, but sure.

7. It takes a few hits,in the same area, but yes. And yes, though with fewer hits.

8. Hmmm. Cost as a one off or production cost if we set up a production line of these things? Because the second is going to be 50% cheaper, if not even better.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 12, 2014, 01:52:52 pm »

((Forum seems to have eaten the bottom of your post, PW.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #299 on: July 12, 2014, 02:27:45 pm »

((Forum seems to have eaten the bottom of your post, PW.))
Writing it out separate. Wait for it.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 84