Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 84

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 188560 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus Techland: Let the testing commence.
« Reply #195 on: June 08, 2014, 03:31:13 pm »

No time to join the discussion in earnest unfortunately, so I'm just goin to leave this link to a statue of a life-size Gundam. Because people tend to forget how dang big those are.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/yahooeditorspicks/galleries/72157629672277244/
((I did say "kinda like" a Gundam. I was personally thinking more along the lines of a Commando, or a Wasp. A Wasp would barely scrape its head on the underside of the Gundam's scrotum. Humongous mecha are pretty impractical whichever way you look at them.))

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 08, 2014, 06:19:30 pm »

My $0.02 on synthflesh versus neo-meta-material mecha:

Sure, synthflesh titans work. Sure, we can make them. But so can the UWM, and they know how they work. Making something that can do as well, or close to it, but which works on completely different (and unexpected!) design principles would rather hinder the UWM's attempts to hurt us. Moreover, synthflesh is unstable. If we can find a way to get comparable benefits for comparable prices, but without needing an exponentially-increasinly-expensive control system or risking a disaster if that breaks...

And yeah, Avatars are a completely different bird. In addition to synthflesh, it has a built-in manipulator, armor plating, and all sorts of other toys.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 08, 2014, 06:57:07 pm »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 08, 2014, 10:04:07 pm »

((Guards that, by all means, are never supposed to even fight.
You might as well make an argument that you don't actually need to fill that fire extinguisher, because your house is, by all means, never supposed to even be on fire.

((Except the fact that it literally breaks physics.  In theory, you should have to break physics to be stronger than something which breaks physics.
Wrong. Let's say you have a physics-breaking ant who manages to lift a thousand times what its physical muscles can lift. You're still stronger than the ant; in fact, your cat probably is.'
This is a pretty dull example, but there are intermediate ones about (say) physics-breaking copper versus normal bronze/steel/nanomaterials. Simply put, physics-breaking =/= superior, any more than high-tech == superior (and the logic is much the same).

Since we're now into meta territory, let me try a different argument: Piecewise will (probably) not allow you to have something flat superior to everything else, without a good reason for it.
Well, first off, that was an example. Second off, it really doesn't need to be "flat superior to everything else" to be better than synthflesh for one purpose. Third off, yes he would, if we had to put an appropriate amoung of effort into it.

But I highly doubt he'll allow you to say "I spend X turns researching a better material that's cheaper and stronger than the next best thing"; PW is bad at balancing systems, but he is very, very good, at making a fun game.  Being handed phlebotinum for nothing is not fun, and devalues the other forms of fun.))
And I highly doubt that Sean expects that to happen.

...So, why're you making it if an avatar's just gonna be stronger, in the same role, at the same size?
Who said that an Avatar performs the same role as a giant mecha?

((No, they're stagnating themselves culturally.  Technology has gotten somewhat stagnated, for a damn good reason- quiet worlds.  Technology development still exists, as shown by Gauss tech level 2, and they 'prospect' quiet worlds for new tech.  And they assimilate alien tech into their stuff.
I daresay that technology's more stagnated than not, from what we've seen. Sure, it's not 100% stagnant, but there's not much going on technologically.

((Saint'll try to set him straight.  And if that fails, ignore him and make more effective space magic based alternatives to his equipment.))
And Anton will not. Instead, he'll research more reliable metamaterials. And that's fine, especially since the mecha could incorporate both.

Or I might be speaking complete gibberish.
Nope, you're pretty much right-on. Speaking generally, the amount of force a structure of a given composition and structure can take is proportional to its area, while its mass (and hence the force exerted on it by gravity) is proportional to the volume. It's the most common application of the Cube-Square Law.

((A control system wrapped inside a load of nearly invincible material, that undoubtably has even more redundancies than an avatar.  And more than one pilot.))
So what you're telling me is that the titans, which are more powerful, more intelligent, and have more raw stuff that needs to be kept under control, which would logically create an exponentially increasing amount of control relative, and hence an increasing control equipment:synthflesh ratio...has control equipment (including cockpits) which are a smaller proportion of the total volume of the thing and more heavily armored?

And humanity is overrated, we should make an assault rifle that chops off your head every time it fires as a hidden feature.  Would massively increase the effectivness of our ground forces.))[/spoiler]
Disagree. Remember, an army made of meat-bodied humans with decent morale will defeat an army of robots who've lost their will to live and who hate their commanders any day.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 09, 2014, 12:35:26 am »

((edit: Count of times "Battlesuit" was mistyped as "Battlemech": 2))

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 09, 2014, 01:09:13 am »

((Note to self - ask for a Heph/tech-specific OOC thread (entirely related to what's going on).

And beyond that comment, I will not say anything about your debate. I believe I've made my personal position clear before, and I really don't feel like digging up everything all over again.))
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 01:15:22 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 09, 2014, 10:45:30 am »

@Pyro
Aww, but we even put it inside spoilers!  Why is this a problem?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 09, 2014, 12:40:19 pm »

Spoiler: Surgical Arguments (click to show/hide)
Sig

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 09, 2014, 01:44:58 pm »

@Pyro
Aww, but we even put it inside spoilers!  Why is this a problem?

((Also 30-odd posts of solid OOC. Though I am thankful that you guys spoilered this discussion.))
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 01:59:56 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 10, 2014, 06:28:44 am »

((Also, I kind of agree. We should either stop or move this to OOC, because even though it's relevant to what we're doing here, it's still rather out of character. Though with the timeskips and whatnot perhaps we can explain it as us having in-character debates on the matter in the off hours?))
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 06:32:53 am by Sean Mirrsen »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 10, 2014, 11:30:11 am »

((Sounds like common cafeteria talk on Hephaestus.))
Sig

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #206 on: June 10, 2014, 01:04:41 pm »

Examine remains of subjects. Do the remains of subjects who ate each type of pill look the same as the other subjects who ate that type of pill? Are they all different? Or are they all fleshy?

Look deeper into making homunculli. Specifically, how much quicker and cheaper could it be to make a mindless, weak, slow, and otherwise cheap-but-human/sod-sized being than to make an actual sod? Give or take.

Get more test subjects. Weigh them and determine the approximate fraction of median human body mass that they are. Make and weigh one of each type of pills created last time, then grind them up and put the dust into labelled jars. Remove an appropriate dosage--that is, (mass pill)*(mass subject/MHBM)--from the jars for each subject, dissolve it in water, and feed the water to the subjects. Observe results.

Gather more cabeiri unless those didn't end up anything like the similar human consumers of the pills. In that case, gather more lab rodents.

If Simus doesn't veto the above procedure, and the pill-juice above worked, do the above procedure. In an isolation chamber, mind.

Spoiler: Little Stuff (click to show/hide)
Also, see if I can't redesign the Red Hand to be a more conventional pistol. Sure, a gauntlet is cool, but there's a reason sidearms are pistol-shaped--it's easier to aim. (Also, it looks less comically villainous.)
Make it a pistol-shaped bit connected to a generator on the forearm. Maybe let the electric part allow electro-pistolwhipping or somesuch, but it isn't a priority by any means. Call it the Crimson Electrolaser Pistol (CELP). Compare it to the Red Hand as far as price and such goes; would it be about the same? Could I make it a longarm-addition like I thought making a normal laser in the above spoiler (probably a more integrated one, with the generator on/in the stock or something)?

I told you I'd be getting in multiple days of stuff! If you're going to limit me, the experiments are top priority, followed by the stuff in the spoiler, followed by the CELP.

1.They all look about the same. Seems that whatever killed them happened before the transformative effect of the pills could kick in. Some sort of precursor effect, maybe?

2. Again, price isn't so much the issue as time. You can shave off a week or two by leaving them completely untrained and only dully sentient, then another two weeks by cutting their growth down to make them just normal humans rather then the peak conditioned 7 foot pro athletes you get in normal sods. But still, you're growing a full sized human from a single fertilized cell. Even with the growth greatly accelerated (seriously, we have to keep the growth tubes chilled or the heat of their own biological reactions will damage their cells) it still takes time. If you really want to mass produce living beings, you're going to need either an automanip to copy living things (which has some bad side effects) or a bio-chemical forge which will allow you to literally generate a full grown human from non-living base chemicals. Bio-chemical forges are neat things, and allow for what amounts to 3d printing living things, but they are very high-tech and will require a fair deal of planning and set up, not to mention someone is going to have to become proficient in using it. And thats something that isn't just rolls.

3.Despite ramping up body mass, to the point where you would assume it would be enough, you keep ending up with exploding blood balloons. Hmm. Must not just be mass.

4. You still don't have a test subject that works. All the animals you try produce exactly one result and it isn't a good one.

5. What the uwm has in terms of what?

6. The only real drawbacks to the rifle are the fact that it is kinda overkill against unarmored targets (Shooting someone in the leg is less of a incapacitating action and more an amputating action.) and it is too heavy and has too hard a kick for most normal humans to use.

7.Sibilus is probably better then it's UWM Main Battle Rifle equivalent. LESHO is, well it's hard to compare. It's rarely used by the UWM, but they still use it rather then any alternative.  It's just kinda too unique to have warranted a new version, very much a remnant of the times.

8.Because.

9. Think coral.

10.Maybe. You'd have to play with them. We can send you some of the raw sand, if you request it.

11. Depends on what you want to spend manufacturing resources and time on. I'd say it's practical if you're not really making much else at the time. But there are always limiting factors, like time and carrying capacity of the produced resources.

12. You want to keep it as weak and questionably useful as before but just turn it into a pistol rather then a glove? Because that can be done.

Simus, having left Anton to his own devices regarding the current issue for a bit, checks in on him in VR (and when Grate's request pops up, she approves it).

Anton, perhaps we might get eyes on the damaged area faster if we used existing hardware? Not to belittle your project, but we're losing contact with an increasingly large area of the deep facilities, and we need eyes there as soon as we can get them to find out what's happening. I understand you've not had very much time, but it's a pressing issue and you can continue to work while we make some scout eyes, or something similar.
You head to the VR and join up with anton.

Basically, yes, I'd like it to be similar to that crystal rifle.  It occupies a different role (That's a DMR, vs my gun's LSW), but the principle is similar.

Now.  Take the PSL's huge tank, and shrink it to a thirtieth of it's normal volume- not size.  It should be able to only hold one standard PSL shot now.  Modify it to fit directly into my design, like a traditional magazine.

Next, take the PSL's huge tank of fluid, and shrink it to a third the volume.  Link it to the rifle in the same way the standard PSL's is linked, with whatever modification is required to make it fit into the new magazine port.  If the standard PSL can't detach the magazine from the gun, modify mine to do so.  Lastly, modify the back portion itself to be able to refill the smaller magazines that I designed earlier, preferably without interrupting operation of the weapon linked to the large magazine.

Make sure all that works then save the project for now.  Move on to the MK1 suit.

This is pretty simple.  Get a small 4 TPU generator, and incorporate it into the back of the MK1 suit, between the shoulders.  Then run a cable down each arm, to the suit's hands.  Modify the gloves so that they are fully insulated from electricity, except for the palms which should have conductive material woven in, directly linked to the generators.  Design it such that it should be able to transfer electricity to something held in the hand.  Lastly, add a safety to the back of each hand, and only link the palms and power when the hand squeezes something while the safety is off.  Hopefully that should avoid accidental shocks.

Design a quick electrical sensor, utilizing a hilt to grab, and a simple readout.  Grip it with the hands of the new suit, and check how much power is transferred.  If there's usually less than 4 TPU, enlarge the generators in the suit until it mostly stays above that threshold.

Finally, go back to the mini-PSL thing.  Remove the placeholder generator, and redesign the gun to charge from the grip, utilizing the system I added to that suit.  Add a small half-TPU battery, that charges when there's a surplus of energy, and discharges when the energy drops below the minimum.  Hopefully that should allow the gun to have continuous automatic fire without any errors.

Lastly, lightly insulate the outside of the gun, so that if an idiot grabs it with the safety off, he doesn't fry his weapon.

And... done.  Make sure the thing functions and has no pressing issues.

Oh, also, use my AUX wizardry (with dyyynamic bonusss!) to help Anton with his movement library stuff.  I should actually have one of those, compatible with both exoskeletons and robobodies, because I made a program that recorded all the movements several peope made over the entire year-long timeskip.  And during that timeskip, I specifically said to practice a lot of unusual movements so the library would be quite versatile.  I had an action that amounted to the same thing last tur, but you missed it.

((Cookie to the first person who accurately guesses why I made this rifle.))

Alright, shrunk.
Alright less shrunk
Okie dokie. I recommend keeping these notes somewhere, because before we start any sort of production, I'm going to want a rather extensive amount of information from you about the object, details about its construction, etc.

Hmm shock gloves eh? As you've described them, are they just running 4 tpu straight through whatever you grip? Because thats what it's looking like. Might want to add a switch or something to turn it on and off, or you're gonna be running a hell of a lot of current through everything you grab.

Ah, I see. Hmm, pressing issues with just the weapon or with the system in general?

Anton Chernozorov

"Yeah, I was afraid of this. Programming a body to move as you want it to, when it's had thousands of years to learn to move naturally, doesn't seem to be an afternoon's worth of work. Hmm. Could always just copy though."

Anton, perhaps we might get eyes on the damaged area faster if we used existing hardware? Not to belittle your project, but we're losing contact with an increasingly large area of the deep facilities, and we need eyes there as soon as we can get them to find out what's happening. I understand you've not had very much time, but it's a pressing issue and you can continue to work while we make some scout eyes, or something similar.

"Yes, XO, I'm kind of thinking the same here. Though the problem is actually caused by using existing hardware, since it's the software for it that gives me trouble. If we had an Artee production line, I could have used the programming we've built up during our stay here, but right now I need to hammer out some replacement movement logic.

No reason why we can't start with something smaller though. We need to find out where to enter the area from, and probably make some custom drones, but we can do that pretty quick around here.
"

Anton queries Aresteve.

"Aresteve, what section is the anomalous breach occurring in? Please project the location onto a map of the area, and point out any known anomalies that may be the cause. Also, is there any way to access the anomaly from inside the facility? Send the results to my VR scene."

He addresses Simus again. "XO, I've asked Aresteve about details on the anomaly's location and access routes, so we should have a better idea of what we need soon. You could probably have some scout drones produced and check it out. I need to keep working here, because I suspect we won't be able to solve the problem with scout drones alone. Need something bigger on the scene, and I'd rather not have any of us risk ourselves just yet."

Stop trying to program movement libraries directly. Instead summon an office building and a hundred or so robot-body NPCs instructed to mill around doing various everyday tasks. Have the VR system collect movement data from them and build up a library of bipedal movement for the RC Sod AI to use. Walking, running, navigating stairs and obstacles, picking up and carrying objects, etc.

While the system is busy doing that, look up any existing AI libraries (like Saint's existing biped movement library - use it if it's available and compatible), and any automated robots we might be capable of building right now. This planet is an automated self-sufficient factory and mining complex - it should at least have designs for mining, construction, and repair drones available, and we can probably use those right now, especially if the RC Sod thing fails to work out.

((By the by, PW, a question. Will we be able to do abstracted long-term research? As in, specific goals but nonspecific means? For instance, if I were to try and develop a new kind of high-strength synthetic myomer, to replace synthflesh for use in large bipedal mecha (i.e. a piloted equivalent of the Avatar, kinda like a Gundam), would I be able to do so? Since there isn't really any real-world science to base it on, can I just build a lab and say I try to do it, and just treknobabble the working principles later?))

>The Anomaly is effecting the 23rd mineral extraction sector and reducing our production capacities by limiting our ability to extract resources from the planet's crust. Access to it is possible. Fastest route utilizes maintainence tram E-122 along the projected route.

The display shows what looks like a track diagram more complex then the circulatory system and then projects a red line along one set of the tracks.
>From there, substation MES-22, and then climbing down into the damaged area. The damage is quite large in size. I recommend flight capacities and powerful lights.

In other words, something like this?

http://boxcar2d.com/

or this

http://gencar.co/#

Or various other genetic algorithms designed to take the body and move it in lots of different ways and then figure out which is the best?

Most of the drones run on either wheels, lots of legs or fly. Biped motion isn't terribly effective and prone to falling over, after all. But there are a few biped libraries, though they are...strange, to be honest.

You can...sort of. See, it's like the above genetic algorithm stuff. That will take a long time to run, but we can abstract the time. But I would like you to at least outline the experimental process by which you would like to get to the end goal. Not just "Go to my lab and tinker till I make adamantium". Does that make sense?

Charles saunters over to the ARESTEVE terminal and inquires: "Are there any speech decompensators here? If not, what is required to make one?"

>I have spoken to Anton on the matters of making one, but we may have some in storage. My records are somewhat incomplete due to damage from the recent events. Would you like me to direct you to where they would be, if we have them?

Existing hardware, Anton - not new designs using it. I'll get some scout drones made, and we'll see what we need from there. Again I will say - if it's what I think it is, infantry-scale simply isn't going to cut it. Maybe remote-control battlesuits.

Oh, and just curious - if your goal is a combat telepresence, why are you attempting to make it a drone as well? Why not simply install a system that has the one using it in a VR rig or something, with their motion in the virtual environment sending the appropriate signal patterns to the body, and the body's cameras constructing the scene around it in VR for the user?

Simus finishes the conversation, and then leaves for her own private VR-space again, summoning a scout drone and pulling it apart to look for any method of using it without using the rockets.

Aresteve, could you please have a pallet or two of scout drones made, so we can get some cameras into the damaged areas?

Such as the little legs?

>Right away. Standard scout drones or should they be modified to allow for direct control from the control room or by me? I can modify them to allow for a more accurate visual mapping through combined, swarm based imaging, if you would like.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 10, 2014, 01:37:48 pm »

Anton Chernozorov

>The Anomaly is effecting the 23rd mineral extraction sector and reducing our production capacities by limiting our ability to extract resources from the planet's crust. Access to it is possible. Fastest route utilizes maintainence tram E-122 along the projected route.

The display shows what looks like a track diagram more complex then the circulatory system and then projects a red line along one set of the tracks.
>From there, substation MES-22, and then climbing down into the damaged area. The damage is quite large in size. I recommend flight capacities and powerful lights.

"Well... that answers that question. XO, it seems we can take an internal route after all. I'm sending it to you now, although I still have a few problems with the remotes. Do we have a backup option that doesn't involve personally wading into that mess, just in case?"

Send the route to Simus. Check if the destination section has any atmosphere.

In other words, something like this?

http://boxcar2d.com/

or this

http://gencar.co/#

Or various other genetic algorithms designed to take the body and move it in lots of different ways and then figure out which is the best?
((Not exactly. The VR system can imitate the behavior of humans, correct? It can create an opponent to fight against, or some allies to fight with you, and it can also create bystander NPCs that do their own little things. What I want is a building populated with NPCs, all run by the VR system. They don't need to have personalities, they just need to move around and do stuff. The idea is the same that Saint used to create his movement library, except he did it with one subject over a large amount of time. I'm taking that concept and applying Naruto logic to it (i.e. shadow clone training) - more people going through their daily motions and providing data means less time spent accumulating a complete data package.))

Most of the drones run on either wheels, lots of legs or fly. Biped motion isn't terribly effective and prone to falling over, after all. But there are a few biped libraries, though they are...strange, to be honest.
I meant more to use the drones as-is, not copy their programming. Examine some of the flying drones. What models there are, and what functions do they have?

You can...sort of. See, it's like the above genetic algorithm stuff. That will take a long time to run, but we can abstract the time. But I would like you to at least outline the experimental process by which you would like to get to the end goal. Not just "Go to my lab and tinker till I make adamantium". Does that make sense?
((Yep, perfect sense. So I need to use verisimilitude and/or technobabble to formulate my approach to solving the problem, before I can try to actually solve it. Can do. ^_^))
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 01:39:23 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 10, 2014, 01:40:42 pm »

5. What the uwm has in terms of what?
In terms of the stuff that they have that's better than ours. Let me rephrase that.
What, exactly, does the UWM have that makes their armaments superior to ours, and what barriers are there to our reproducing their design?

6. The only real drawbacks to the rifle are the fact that it is kinda overkill against unarmored targets (Shooting someone in the leg is less of a incapacitating action and more an amputating action.) and it is too heavy and has too hard a kick for most normal humans to use.
7.Sibilus is probably better then it's UWM Main Battle Rifle equivalent. LESHO is, well it's hard to compare. It's rarely used by the UWM, but they still use it rather then any alternative.  It's just kinda too unique to have warranted a new version, very much a remnant of the times.
Sounds like if we can solve weight and recoil issues, we'll have a superior main battle rifle.
Alright, first a bit of idiot-checking: The Sibilus isn't prohibitively expensive/difficult to make, is it?

9. Think coral.
...Could the natural Samsonite Abyss critters un-harden after hardening? If so, what's the difference between natural and artificial ones that prevents the synthetics from un-hardening? If that's unknown, do we have samples of the originals we could experiment on?

10.Maybe. You'd have to play with them. We can send you some of the raw sand, if you request it.
Neato.

12. You want to keep it as weak and questionably useful as before but just turn it into a pistol rather then a glove? Because that can be done.
I remembered it being fairly useful. The wiki page made it sound like it could fire lasers or electric...thingies. Sounds like it might need a modification...
What, exactly, makes it "questionably useful"? Is it somehow weaker in laser or something than the default laser pistol, or is it just inferior to non-sidearms?

Now onto fun stuff.

1. How long would it take to make a homunculus that was more like the size of a child? Would that lead to a combined discount of a month?
2. Look into that biochemical forge thing. How hard would it be to create and master? What, exactly, do you mean by "something that isn't just rolls"? How flexible would it be?
3. See if I can install a recoil buffer in the Sibilus, ideally of the gas-spring variety. Also add a muzzle break to help avoid barrel deflection. EDIT: Also add a padded stock and good grips. Would such a Sibilus be wieldable by a human, or at least a sod?
4. Before I start working on some kind of powered armor system to help soldiers wield a Sibilus, what kinds of powered suits already exist? Anything on the scale of the Mk X suits, or just battlesuit/exoskeleton-size and up?
5. Work on implementing anything obvious from the first question.

That should be enough for one turn.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 10:15:11 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 10, 2014, 02:33:00 pm »

First, and this is more important than the tinker at this point, charge a MED bonus, and ask ARESTEVE to start producing all the hospital equipment we lack.  Enough to make our medical area as advanced as the sword's, but only make sufficient facilities to treat five people at a time, at most.

As to tinkering stuff: I specifically said to put a safety on the back of each glove.  A button or switch or something, so that it only shocks things when the safety is off.  If possible, allow it to be turned on and off with a switch in the helmet or something hands free like that.  Failing all of that, put something like a RFID chip in the hilt (the chips they put in pets), and have the glove only power on when it finds an appropriate chip.  FAILING THAT, just attach a standard 4 TPU generator to the thing, and scrap the suit power idea.

As far as testing, I primarily want to see how the gun itself performs.  Compare it to our standard infantry weapons (lasrifle, gauss rifle), but especially stuff like gauss assault rifles.  Set the units using this weapon to not worry about ammo conservation, and be liberal with suppressive fire.  A standard squad should have at least one of the back-mounted magazines.

How much more powerful is a semiauto shot fired at 2, 3, and 4 TPU?

((I hadn't intended this to take this long.  Oh well.  Saint should actually be helping soon.

@GWG, neither of those recoil methods are gonna do much of anything for the sibilus.  IIRC, it's a hybrid gauss/gyrojet rifle, so there's no gasses for a muzzle break to deflect, or to press on a gas spring.  Almost all of the recoil comes from the gauss portion.))
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 84