Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 84

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 188282 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus Techland: Let the testing commence.
« Reply #120 on: May 30, 2014, 05:33:32 pm »

Simus, having finished with the workers, was returning to the control centre when Grate sent out his message, and on receiving it, checked the isolation room cameras.

Quote from:  Simus>Grate
Where are you? I thought you were in an isolation chamber, testing out an artefact?
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2014, 06:13:07 pm »

Quote from: Grate -> Simus
Dear Ms. Simus,
I think I'm outside. How did I get here? Did we take Hephaestus? Where are all the sods? Why am I naked?
Sincerely,
Grate
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2014, 06:45:41 pm »

Quote from: Simus>Grate
Stay where you are, I'll send someone out to collect you in just a moment. Don't wander off.

Quote from: Simus>Charles
As soon as you've finished with the civilians, Grate needs assistance on the surface - and be forewarned, he seems amnesiac. And is potentially nude. Don't ask me how - last I knew he was going to an isolation chamber to test an artefact of his.

Puppet/Request Charles to collect Grate and bring him back to speed on what's going on.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2014, 07:10:16 pm »

Stand in place. Try to locate clothes.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 31, 2014, 08:03:57 pm »

((Um. Is...is Hephaestus getting Saturday turns? Or is Charles's player around to help Grate out?))
Sig

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 01, 2014, 12:21:50 am »

((Piecewise doesn't do weekends IIRC. And Emp is on on the weekends, but you'll probably have to contact him.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 01, 2014, 12:23:44 am »

((Um. Is...is Hephaestus getting Saturday turns? Or is Charles's player around to help Grate out?))
((I am right now, but I'd rather see how this speech roll plays out seeing as Charles goes all the way up to 9 now :P))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2014, 10:36:52 am »

((Piecewise doesn't do weekends IIRC. And Emp is on on the weekends, but you'll probably have to contact him.))
I try to get the main missions updated on saturdays, at least, but I've had a busy couple of weeks. Gonna be the same way this weekend too, unfortunately. Gotta drive down to arizona to abduct my sister.

Anton Chernozorov

Can I finally get that video feed from underground? Or confirmation that I tried and failed at least?
((Embiggened for emphasis. Third time's the charm, right?))

NO

At least not of the damaged area. Cameras are out down there. Hell, power is out for most of the surrounding area because the damage cut off a major power junction.

((IIRC, Saint actually helped you out with the basic RT programming during the year-long stay.  It was part of my action, anyway.  Also, I completely misinterpreted what Anton was talking about. :P))

Spoiler: Talking with Anton (click to show/hide)

@ Piecewise:

Dynamic AUX bonus:+/-1

RPM means "Rounds Per Minute" when referring to guns.  For comparison, an MP5, probably the most popular SMG in existence, fires at 800 RPM.  The M16, which you should know, fires at 700 or more RPM.  The FN SCAR-H, a .308 battle rifle, fires at 625 RPM.  How fast does the PSL fire shards during a charged volley?

This is important: How much of a barrel does the PSL have, and how important is it to the functioning of the weapon?  Can it semi-accurately fire without a barrel, or an oversized barrel?

How exactly is the shard formed?  Is there some form of mold, or is it just injected and solidified nearly instantaneously, and timing determines the size?

Also, you said a dex synthflesh body in an MK.III gets "+2 dex and specific +1 dex for dodging."  Does that mean +3 for dodging, or +1?  And does the MK.III still grant the +1 to str and end? 

Additionally, write a program that takes all the sensory inputs that a robot body normally zaps into a brain, and transmits them via standard radio to a server explicitly set up for this.  From there, have the server send the sensory data to any robotic bodies, MK suits, or VRs requesting it with a proper password.  Also, allow the recipients to send back control signals collected from a robobody's brain interface, an exoskeleton, or VR equipment, so that the remote robot body can be controlled.

Yes, I understand that there's several problems with it, such as lag, MK suits being incapable of displaying all the info, or exoskeletons and VR stuff being incapable of easily collecting all the required information to drive a body.  I don't particularly care, write it anyway.

Alright um. Well problem with that is that the "Burst" thing there, doesn't always produce the same amount of crystals. But you can guess that it shoots about 20 per burst, Could fire a burst every, oh, 2-3 seconds. So 20 every three seconds, 40 every 6, 400 every 60.  About 400 RPM.

Barrel helps, but you can get away with a pretty short one.

It's formed in a sort of tube like space. Basically, you have this tube of liquid and when it is exposed to an electrical current in the right way, it crystallizes. The fact that it's in a tube when it crystallizes means that it will naturally form long, shards, mostly by virtue of its crystallization pattern. If it were in a round vessel it would form more of a irregular prism shape, like a fucked up 20 sided dice, for instance.

+3 dodging, and yes, it will still give end and str bonuses. Though I should mention that stacking things to +3 is just asking to break the body.

Alright. Really, like you said, the program is gonna be very unfinished on the receiving end. The sending and server work is fine, but the intigration into other systems is basically unwritten. 

Quote from: Simus>Grate
Stay where you are, I'll send someone out to collect you in just a moment. Don't wander off.

Quote from: Simus>Charles
As soon as you've finished with the civilians, Grate needs assistance on the surface - and be forewarned, he seems amnesiac. And is potentially nude. Don't ask me how - last I knew he was going to an isolation chamber to test an artefact of his.

Puppet/Request Charles to collect Grate and bring him back to speed on what's going on.
Stand in place. Try to locate clothes.
Good enough. You're back in it to win it Gratey-kins.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2014, 02:33:18 pm »

Huh. That was hard enough to be annoying, but simple enough to make me wonder why we bothered. What perfect calculation.

"Alright. I think I'll shelve that idea for a bit..."

First off, fill out one of those experiment form things.
Spoiler: Form--Project Asartes (click to show/hide)
I wrote the latter form shortly after donating blood, so...yeah, I'm sorry if it doesn't make much sense or is redundant/repetitive/redundant/repetitive.

After submitting the forms, pass the time with the following:
1. Check the research I said I did during my muted week and determine the areas that ARM is superior or--more importantly--inferior to the UWM military in, so that devices to correct these issues may be designed.
2. Make sure that there are programs allowing me to estimate how long and how much material it would take to create beings of various characteristics in the fleshpits. If there are not, attempt to create one.
3. Check availability of lab rats, guinea pigs, and the like. If we don't have any currently, could they be grown quickly and easily?

Addendamum: If possible, gather materials needed for the above experiment (that is, several gauss rounds and spoons plus assorted small, ideally caged animals) and bring them to the isolation chamber with the Metamorphosis Device.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 09:26:01 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2014, 05:24:13 pm »

About the burst: I want to know how long a pause there is between each shard in a burst? 

Also, I want to know if the rough number of shards in a burst can be altered.  The regular PSL has ten per burst- could I make it fire, say, five?  Can I give it a fire selector that alters the burst size?

How fast is a PSL capable of firing semi-auto?

Can I get a rough size and shape estimate for the regular PSL?  Maybe a picture of something with a similar size?

How wide is a standard two-foot shard?

How many TPU does a PSL use?  Here's the TPU requirements for other weapons, for comparison.

Lastly, charge an AUX bonus.  Do I even need to do this, or are you just assuming I get fives?  You haven't been rolling AUX.

((@Fellow Hephaestians, I was going to try and use Sean's idea for a multi-caliber rifle, but that looks implausible now.  I'll probably try for a standard rifle, and a volley gun style shotgun.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2014, 09:23:05 pm »

Simus, having dispatched Charles to collect Grate, goes to review the camera footage of the isolation chamber Grate was using when he 'respawned'. Upon receipt of Grate's request to experiment, she takes it and retrieves the Pill Machine from her lockbox and places it in an unused isolation chamber, and keeps an eye on the monitor for that chamber.

You don't need to be that thorough, Grate, though it is appreciated. I'm glad you're taking my request about the use of that machine seriously. It doesn't leave the chamber, all right?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2014, 09:24:31 pm »

"Alright."

Turn edited.
Sig

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2014, 01:20:54 am »

((Okay time to do stuff.))

Anton Chernozorov

"XO, I can't reach any video feeds from the damaged area underground. If we're going to go there and check it out, we'll have to go in blind. Or at least armed with nothing but our best guess. All the more reason to start with remotes."

Go into VR. Open the Artee project and copy its support CPU systems and programming.

Start a new project, "Combat Telepresence". Take a standard robot body, sans brain case and brain support systems. Outfit it with the CPU setup from the Artee, along with as powerful a comms array as will fit in the freed-up cavity inside the body.

Alter the programming of the support CPUs to handle the walking and aiming with a bipedal body. Make it so the body can be remotely controlled like a drone, handling standard navigation around obstacles and simple aiming and firing via an extension of my upgraded drone OS.

Introduce a new control mode wherein the CPUs will interface with a special VR program, effectively placing whoever uses the program in direct control of the remote body - visuals and sound recreated from the body's sensors, and movement synchronized between VR and reality. Have the CPUs compensate for comms lag (i.e. so that the body doesn't fall over when walking), and attempt to maintain the body's position if the comms are cut. Use Saint's work on similar systems if it is available.

If the base principles work out, exit VR and have a prototype manufactured and calibrated for testing.

((@Fellow Hephaestians, I was going to try and use Sean's idea for a multi-caliber rifle, but that looks implausible now.  I'll probably try for a standard rifle, and a volley gun style shotgun.))
((The problem is that you're trying to use the existing PSL mechanics to achieve this, when I explicitly stated that the idea would require creating a new kind of metamaterial. The PSL is alien-tech derivative, it's never going to do exactly what we want without seriously overhauling its operating principles.))
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 01:25:35 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #133 on: June 03, 2014, 12:29:51 pm »

Huh. That was hard enough to be annoying, but simple enough to make me wonder why we bothered. What perfect calculation.

"Alright. I think I'll shelve that idea for a bit..."

First off, fill out one of those experiment form things.
Spoiler: Form--Project Asartes (click to show/hide)
I wrote the latter form shortly after donating blood, so...yeah, I'm sorry if it doesn't make much sense or is redundant/repetitive/redundant/repetitive.

After submitting the forms, pass the time with the following:
1. Check the research I said I did during my muted week and determine the areas that ARM is superior or--more importantly--inferior to the UWM military in, so that devices to correct these issues may be designed.
2. Make sure that there are programs allowing me to estimate how long and how much material it would take to create beings of various characteristics in the fleshpits. If there are not, attempt to create one.
3. Check availability of lab rats, guinea pigs, and the like. If we don't have any currently, could they be grown quickly and easily?

Addendamum: If possible, gather materials needed for the above experiment (that is, several gauss rounds and spoons plus assorted small, ideally caged animals) and bring them to the isolation chamber with the Metamorphosis Device.
I'm gonna assume these forms are simus related internal documentation.

1.In general ARM really just needs to be modernized. The main problem the HMRC and now ARM have is that their armaments were straight out of the altered wars. They weren't really designed to deal with armored human foes. Or enclosed places. Or much else except the altered. And They lack a mid range; it basically goes from gauss rifle to gauss cannon with no middle ground. There's nothing inherently wrong  with any of the weapons ARM uses, it's just that they lack focus toward the current foe and need more of a range of options. The thing you should probably do first is update and improve upon the gear of the average soldier. A standard rifle, a standard suit, standard side arm and other weapons. A nice kit of gear for everyone to get.

2. You could estimate that now, but you lack the facilities to do it. As I told Anton, the flesh pits are basically just a sod factory right now.

3. You could set up a breeding colony of them fairly fast.

About the burst: I want to know how long a pause there is between each shard in a burst? 

Also, I want to know if the rough number of shards in a burst can be altered.  The regular PSL has ten per burst- could I make it fire, say, five?  Can I give it a fire selector that alters the burst size?

How fast is a PSL capable of firing semi-auto?

Can I get a rough size and shape estimate for the regular PSL?  Maybe a picture of something with a similar size?

How wide is a standard two-foot shard?

How many TPU does a PSL use?  Here's the TPU requirements for other weapons, for comparison.

Lastly, charge an AUX bonus.  Do I even need to do this, or are you just assuming I get fives?  You haven't been rolling AUX.

It's very small. The entire burst takes all of like a half a second. Because the burst basically just keeps the crystallization chamber constantly filled, crystallizing and firing. It basically is just producing one very long shard of crystal, but that becomes a "Burst" because the crystal shatters into pieces on the way out, snapping as it is ejected.

You  could alter the burst amount by altering the amount of liquid you want to feed in.

Yes. It already kinda does. There's normally just a slight delay between each trigger pull, but a bigger battery would remove that.

About as wide as your wrist at the center, thickest part. Tapers out to sharp ends.

Did I not give the TPU for it? Say about 4 tpu, used in quick bursts.

Yeah, Don't worry about it.

Simus, having dispatched Charles to collect Grate, goes to review the camera footage of the isolation chamber Grate was using when he 'respawned'. Upon receipt of Grate's request to experiment, she takes it and retrieves the Pill Machine from her lockbox and places it in an unused isolation chamber, and keeps an eye on the monitor for that chamber.

You don't need to be that thorough, Grate, though it is appreciated. I'm glad you're taking my request about the use of that machine seriously. It doesn't leave the chamber, all right?

Grate's death was rather unspectacular, by our standards. He jammed his hand into the glowing thing, twitched a lot, then fell over.

You put the pill machine in the chamber and head back to watch the fireworks from a comfortable distance.

((Okay time to do stuff.))

Anton Chernozorov

"XO, I can't reach any video feeds from the damaged area underground. If we're going to go there and check it out, we'll have to go in blind. Or at least armed with nothing but our best guess. All the more reason to start with remotes."

Go into VR. Open the Artee project and copy its support CPU systems and programming.

Start a new project, "Combat Telepresence". Take a standard robot body, sans brain case and brain support systems. Outfit it with the CPU setup from the Artee, along with as powerful a comms array as will fit in the freed-up cavity inside the body.

Alter the programming of the support CPUs to handle the walking and aiming with a bipedal body. Make it so the body can be remotely controlled like a drone, handling standard navigation around obstacles and simple aiming and firing via an extension of my upgraded drone OS.

Introduce a new control mode wherein the CPUs will interface with a special VR program, effectively placing whoever uses the program in direct control of the remote body - visuals and sound recreated from the body's sensors, and movement synchronized between VR and reality. Have the CPUs compensate for comms lag (i.e. so that the body doesn't fall over when walking), and attempt to maintain the body's position if the comms are cut. Use Saint's work on similar systems if it is available.

If the base principles work out, exit VR and have a prototype manufactured and calibrated for testing.

((The problem is that you're trying to use the existing PSL mechanics to achieve this, when I explicitly stated that the idea would require creating a new kind of metamaterial. The PSL is alien-tech derivative, it's never going to do exactly what we want without seriously overhauling its operating principles.))

(If you're wondering, I do roll for stuff like this)

The ARTEE AI and drone firing OS seem to have compatibility problems. The ARTEE, already not optimized for bipedal movement, keeps getting thrown off balance by the jerky motions the arms make when using the drone os, which is used to a stable hovering base and a much less mass behind the weapon.

The dang things keep swinging their arm out and falling over, and the ARTEE program isn't good enough to correct in time to prevent it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2014, 01:18:43 pm »

(If you're wondering, I do roll for stuff like this)
((I wouldn't have it any other way. ^_^))

Anton Chernozorov

"Мда. That's certainly a thing. A thing that shouldn't happen, but a thing nevertheless."

Anton contacts Saint through the comms.

"Saint, this is Chernozorov. I could use a hand here with rewriting the base AI of an Artee to work in a biped. I seem to recall you doing some work in a similar direction, and the thing I'm doing here is likely to go much better and much quicker with your help."

Strip the quadruped movement libraries from the AI entirely, and start writing new ones from scratch. If Saint chips in with his own research, gladly accept the help. Absolute minimum requirement is the ability of the body to navigate a typical building interior - turns, slopes, staircases, low obstacles.

Write a feedback subroutine that determines the position and orientation of the held weapon from the positioning of the arms, and sends that to the drone OS as aiming data. At the same time the drone OS gives the desired aiming direction and sends it to the body's motion AI, so that incompatibilities are minimized and each side works with what it's used to working with.

Keep working, and don't forget about the VR control mode.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 12:17:45 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 84