Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 84

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 188151 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus Techland: Let the testing commence.
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2014, 09:34:37 pm »

((I'm not going to respond until you've opened the package, GWG - 'tis better that way.))
((Irritated grumble.
I've lost enough time already...but fine, have it your way.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2014, 06:32:48 am »

Anton Chernozorov

Anton tinkers in the robo-arm some more, and suddenly remembers he should probably keep everyone else aware of what he's planning.

"XO, this is Chernozorov. I've visited our local AI overlord and got some answers on our future ability to manufacture amps. We're not going to make them anytime soon, several things will have to be shipped in from off-world, and we're going to need an entirely separate facility that's as isolated as possible. At my behest, Ares has selected a suitable location and compiled the schematics of the facility into a VR scene that I think we'll need to review. It seems we'll need to dig around for space construction equipment, because frankly the requirements and safety precautions make it sound scarier than giving Grate his pill machine back.

Also, Ares has made a report on all of our existing security equipment installed around the complex. It's in VR, and we should probably start our efforts to improve the base security from there.

The sooner we get the immediate concerns out of the way, the sooner we'll be able to do the stuff we really decided to stay here for.
"

Anton gathers up the disassembled arm, stashes it in a nearby box, and goes to VR.

Enter VR. Start with examining Aresteve's report on base security measures. Note blind areas, any inoperable lockdown doors, etc. Scan for weaknesses in general.

Examine the asteroid facility for amp construction, more out of curiosity than anything. See how much can be built before the required missing parts are shipped in.

Open Tinker, because can't resist. Open the schematic for the Red Hand. The generator or generators used for the spark gap is extremely overpowerful to run the tiny hand laser emitter (it cost me 3 token, and I modified it further), so see exactly how big a weapon can be powered with it. Test a laser rifle, a cutting laser, and a HEP. See if the emitter of the laser rifle can be remade for a reduced profile, so that it can be mounted directly onto the device instead of the hand laser, running at very low power for the electrolaser mode.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2014, 08:27:14 am »

"It seems we'll need to dig around for space construction equipment, because frankly the requirements and safety precautions make it sound scarier than giving Grate his pill machine back."
"That happened once, it's not happening again. Stop treating me like a dumb kid!"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2014, 11:12:22 am »

"That happened once, it's not happening again. Stop treating me like a dumb kid!"

"Heh, sorry, sorry. I just lack any more suitably destructive events to compare to at the moment. This includes that time when a massive radioactive death crystal laser spider decided to flush itself down a blackhole."
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2014, 11:13:38 am »

Grate sighs. "I'm never living that down, am I?"

For-Fun Project:
Design a sort of belt-fed shotgun built into a gauntlet. (The belt should also be covered by part of the gauntlet.) Also design incendiary shotgun shells. I don't know enough about shotguns or incendiary rounds to see anything terribly problematic with that, so that should be sufficient.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 11:15:13 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2014, 11:39:33 am »

((Incendiary rounds for shotguns certainly exist.  I mean, shotgun shells are kinda like the minecraft of the handloading world- there's so many types of insane loads...  Maybe you could make some form of high-power dragon's breath.  I mean, it's a terrible round from an effectivness standpoint, but it's certainly impressive and cool, which seems to be what you're focusing on.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2014, 11:51:55 am »

((Incendiary rounds for shotguns certainly exist.  I mean, shotgun shells are kinda like the minecraft of the handloading world- there's so many types of insane loads...  Maybe you could make some form of high-power dragon's breath.  I mean, it's a terrible round from an effectivness standpoint, but it's certainly impressive and cool, which seems to be what you're focusing on.))
((you could simply take redshot and make it airburst.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2014, 12:01:55 pm »

"It seems we'll need to dig around for space construction equipment, because frankly the requirements and safety precautions make it sound scarier than giving Grate his pill machine back."
Yeah, treat him like a dumb adult!~

Dynamic AUX bonus: +/-1

"Simus, there's an issue with your plan to scan brains.  Amazingly, we lack any advanced diagnostic equipment; We can't run any brain scans.  I'm going to head to the command center, and look at our camera coverage for now.

I suggest that, after our security affairs are over, better medical facilities be a top priority."

Head to the command center, and check out our camera coverage.  How complete is it?  Only important chokepoints and rooms?  Complete coverage over everything?  Something in-between?  Ask Aresteve for data on Urban Executor's changling masks, and how to easily detect them.  Will a small facial incision or needle prick reveal one?  Small electroshock maybe?

Also, use my dynamic AUX bonus to create a simple program which links all of our camera feeds, so we can see each other's activities.  DO NOT activate it, but try to design it so that it doesn't need a roll to be activated.[/b]

((FYI, the camera linking isn't my idea.  It was PW's the AM's method of dealing with the serial killer mission.))
Cameyes would work to scan heads.

Alternatively, you can just manufacture the machines.

And the changeling masks are pretty obvious if you just grab their face. If the underlying structure feels weird and angular, you've got a winner.

Open that, then. Also ask Simus for the pill machine back.

((Anyone care to share with me what's in the box? Or who it's from? Or anything like that?))
Inside the box is a Gilgamesh action figure, fully articulated and everything! It's got a note attached to it.

Dear Grate,

Remember that weird pill machine you had some time ago? Well, I gave that thing to Simus. After talking it over, we decided it'd be best this way. You may not remember, but last time you used it... very bad things happened. So we decided she should keep an eye on it. She said you might still be allowed to use it, but you'll have to talk to her to find out the details.

To make it up to you, I give you this Gilgamesh doll. I made it nice 'n sturdy, so you should be able to play with it without it breaking apart. I hope you'll have as many awesome adventures with him as I did with the real one.

Stay safe kiddo.

Was signed,

Miyamoto De Bergerac

Anton Chernozorov

Anton tinkers in the robo-arm some more, and suddenly remembers he should probably keep everyone else aware of what he's planning.

"XO, this is Chernozorov. I've visited our local AI overlord and got some answers on our future ability to manufacture amps. We're not going to make them anytime soon, several things will have to be shipped in from off-world, and we're going to need an entirely separate facility that's as isolated as possible. At my behest, Ares has selected a suitable location and compiled the schematics of the facility into a VR scene that I think we'll need to review. It seems we'll need to dig around for space construction equipment, because frankly the requirements and safety precautions make it sound scarier than giving Grate his pill machine back.

Also, Ares has made a report on all of our existing security equipment installed around the complex. It's in VR, and we should probably start our efforts to improve the base security from there.

The sooner we get the immediate concerns out of the way, the sooner we'll be able to do the stuff we really decided to stay here for.
"

Anton gathers up the disassembled arm, stashes it in a nearby box, and goes to VR.

Enter VR. Start with examining Aresteve's report on base security measures. Note blind areas, any inoperable lockdown doors, etc. Scan for weaknesses in general.

Examine the asteroid facility for amp construction, more out of curiosity than anything. See how much can be built before the required missing parts are shipped in.

Open Tinker, because can't resist. Open the schematic for the Red Hand. The generator or generators used for the spark gap is extremely overpowerful to run the tiny hand laser emitter (it cost me 3 token, and I modified it further), so see exactly how big a weapon can be powered with it. Test a laser rifle, a cutting laser, and a HEP. See if the emitter of the laser rifle can be remade for a reduced profile, so that it can be mounted directly onto the device instead of the hand laser, running at very low power for the electrolaser mode.

In general, much of the under layers,the deep manufacturing and mining systems, are sealed off and autonomous. Drones keep things repaired, machines handle every step of the process, and materials are piped in from other sections. Everything is hermetically sealed, often times lacking a livable atmosphere, and pitch black. The only security these sections have is at the emergency maintenance hatchways that lead down into them. The most recently opening of one of these hatches took place nearly 75 years ago as part of a routine check, if the records are correct. Although, it is noted that there was a large degree of damage done to one of these sections recently and that it was exposed. Apparently drones have been ineffective at repairing it and the damage is spreading. Hm.

The more traveled parts have video monitoring, although it is not complete. The feeds are scattered around, usually at intersections or doorways or higher security areas. There are also tiered security doors: Clearance levels A through G to keep certain areas of limits to those of lower security clearances. It seems unlikely that someone could traverse any extended area of the passages without a camera picking them up at some juncture.

The Newer sections, the rebuilt ones, have near total camera coverage and tiered security doors as well as motion sensors, bio-lock systems and other security measures, including ARESTEVE controlled "Counter Measures", which aren't explicitly detailed.

The Amp Production area is basically just a single production line, a long, straight building which plops out finished amps or manipulators at the end. Most of it is actually quite mundane, standard metal shaping, view screens, electronics, assembly, etc. There are just two parts that are curious: The containment system and the fleshpit.

The containment system is basically just a large sphere of layered metals and self contained systems. The construction details are extremely specific and an annotation, you assume from steve, has been plastered all over several sections.

>If this is wrong, you'll all die.

The outer layer of the sphere appears to be designed to insulate the contents from any outside interference, while the inner layer...you're not sure of its function, to be honest. It's basically one long, hexagonal section repeated over and over around the entire inner surface. The machines and power systems all resting atop one another like a layercake and then, below it, in a hollow section at the center,  is a long, sharp probe which is labeled a "Olslaov Spear". At the very center, suspended amongst all these spikes is a black sphere simply labeled "Source". The containment sphere appears to have two settings; Passive and Active. Passive is much lower power level, though it still probably uses more energy then needed to power the entire control structure that You and your comrades built here on Hephaestus.  The active state appears to only be able to be used for short periods, draining high capacity batteries as the power source and then letting those fill back up before being used again. The "Active" state appears to be the only time the production line can be used, at least to produce the starting substance.

The fleshpit is odd to you because of one particular thing: Normally when you see cloning systems they're labeled as such. The entire process happens in the tube, using artificially created germ cells. These machines are labeled "Incubators" and you don't see any systems for manufacturing the germ cells.

Grate sighs. "I'm never living that down, am I?"

For-Fun Project:
Design a sort of belt-fed shotgun built into a gauntlet. (The belt should also be covered by part of the gauntlet.) Also design incendiary shotgun shells. I don't know enough about shotguns or incendiary rounds to see anything terribly problematic with that, so that should be sufficient.
Only problematic things would be the following:
1. Weight.
2.Recoil
3. Lack of barrel would mean the thing is highly inaccurate over anything more then a few feet, since it would be firing in sort of a rough cone rather then a tight cluster.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2014, 12:43:51 pm »

Yeah, treat him like a dumb adult!~
Grate glares through the fourth wall.

Inside the box is a Gilgamesh action figure, fully articulated and everything! It's got a note attached to it.
Dear Grate,

Remember that weird pill machine you had some time ago? Well, I gave that thing to Simus. After talking it over, we decided it'd be best this way. You may not remember, but last time you used it... very bad things happened. So we decided she should keep an eye on it. She said you might still be allowed to use it, but you'll have to talk to her to find out the details.

To make it up to you, I give you this Gilgamesh doll. I made it nice 'n sturdy, so you should be able to play with it without it breaking apart. I hope you'll have as many awesome adventures with him as I did with the real one.

Stay safe kiddo.

Was signed,

Miyamoto De Bergerac
Grate stares at the action figure and sighs.
"Why does everyone treat me like a kid? And a little kid. 'Oh, it's nice and sturdy, you can throw it against walls and chew on it and everything and it won't break.' If it's the thought that counts, this gift sucks."
Grate throws the action figure at a wall and lies down on his bed.
"I'm supposed to be a member of the team. I'm supposed to be helping, I'm supposed to be doing stuff. But everyone's treating me like I'm someone's little brother. Keeping dangerous stuff out of my reach while they toy with the laws of physics. Giving me an action figure, as if that could replace the one useful thing I have. All I've got now is this stupid toy, mediocre shooting skills, and immortality. What am I supposed to do with that?"

Seriously. What the heck?
Sorry, Cael, but until I figure out how to weaponize a freaking action figure, I'm gonna need to keep that alien power source.
What else do I have? Grate's got decent technical skills, but as the pill machine, the action figure, and basically everything so far has shown, he doesn't have any respect.

An action figure. What the heck?

Only problematic things would be the following:
1. Weight.
2.Recoil
3. Lack of barrel would mean the thing is highly inaccurate over anything more then a few feet, since it would be firing in sort of a rough cone rather then a tight cluster.
Neat. Um. I'll get back to that project, once I get over the fact that Grate's teammates evidently think that an action figure is a suitable replacement for a highly versatile and potentially game-changing Nyars artifact.

Grate fiddles with the action figure for a bit to figure out if there's anything special about it. Hidden compartment containing another note? Secret lasery functions? Anything?
Yeah, I didn't think so. Grate's probably going to be tossing the action figure away before getting out the power source thingy.
"Hi. I heard you were sentient. Can you understand me?"
If this fails to do anything, Grate sticks his hand on the thing before repeating his question.
Sig

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2014, 12:54:32 pm »

((Respect is something to be conquered GWG.))

Does the core look something like this?
Spoiler: Horrible drawing (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Photobucket doesn't display it for some reason. Will wait until photobucket stops having errors or use another image hosting thing.

EDIT2: Fixed.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 02:36:34 pm by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2014, 12:55:16 pm »

((Dead image link))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2014, 01:53:55 pm »

"It seems that examining people for a changling mask would be very, very simple.  You don't even need medical skill- just grab their face, and look for strange angular bits.  Although, come to think of it, cameyes would work for scanning heads for amps, and you are the only person we have with cameyes, Simus.  We could simply have everyone walk through a particular hallway with you watching, and the operative would be quite obvious.  After that we could quarantine the workers in a particular section, and tell aresteve to watch for any movement anywhere else in the complex.  If we block sight of you with something transparent to X-ray the operative won't even have a chance to see you."

Did I get to write that program that links our video feeds?  Also, puppet Charles into charging a dynamic speech bonus, and looking for a good section of the facility for quarantining civvies.  Then go head to my room and get into Tinker:
Spoiler: Tinker things (click to show/hide)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2014, 02:09:19 pm »

Actually, yes, that could work. But it will have to wait a moment - I need to see to the fourth member of our group.

Simus heads down to Grate's quarters and stands in the door.

You forgot something in your list. You've also got a large amount of freedom to do most things on the largest manufacturing planet in known space. And I don't mean just using it like a playground, which is about as far as most people would probably let you - I mean using it as what it is. I didn't pick you just to let you be away from the front.

Now, about that pill machine. I know that, by all rights, it is yours. I also know that used wrong, it can cause a lot of destruction. And when used right, we have no idea yet - we've not gotten the chance to find out, have we? However, considering what has been done with it already, I'm considering it a kind of semi-hot lab item. Meaning, you can still use it, as can all of us, but you have to ask and tell me what you're putting in it, and it has to be done under supervision. And those rules apply to all of us, not just you.

((So... did my message get through, PW?))
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 08:28:33 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2014, 04:42:07 pm »

Simus heads down to Grate's quarters and stands in the door.

You forgot something in your list. You've also got a large amount of freedom to do most things on the largest manufacturing planet in known space. And I don't mean just using it like a playground, which is about as far as most people would probably let you - I mean using it as what it is. I didn't pick you just to let you be away from the front.

Now, about that pill machine. I know that, by all rights, it is yours. I also know that used wrong, it can cause a lot of destruction. And when used right, we have no idea yet - we've not gotten the chance to find out, have we? However, considering what has been done with it already, I'm considering it a kind of semi-hot lab item. Meaning, you can still use it, as can all of us, but you have to ask and tell me what you're putting in it, and it has to be done under supervision. And those rules apply to all of us, not just you.
"...You all heard that?"
Sig

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2014, 04:57:34 pm »

I did. The others - other than Aresteve, of course, probably not. Saint might have, but he was working on something else.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 84