Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 84

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 188168 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus Techland: Let the testing commence.
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2014, 02:06:28 pm »

((Actually, Saint is constantly wearing an MK1 suit and an exoskeleton, despite being a robot.))

Without the suit, of course.  I would imagine the heat fins would burn through it if I tried to squeeze the skin over an MK suit.

((Wonderful, the only doctor we have available for brain transfers is probably about to die.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2014, 02:30:29 pm »

Anton Chernozorov[/b]

Right now the method of transfer into Robodies is basically You, and whatever medical skill you can muster.  So, unless you want to manually shuffle brains into bodies, you might want to set up something before hand.
((Yeah, that will likely have to wait until we have something better set up.))

Belay that production order.

No. Not really. You can salvage a few but, none are still moving. Wait, whats the merchant? Is that a different name for the party wagon? Help.
((The Merchant is the large cargo transporter we salvaged, it lacks cargo pods and needs booster rockets to get into orbit. I was thinking of outfitting it with a massive amount of missiles back then, but scrapped the idea and the ship was left untouched. We did repair it I think, but we did nothing besides that to it, so it was probably still sitting in the salvage yard.

Right now I want to know if it can be used to start gathering the various debris in orbit.))

You've got a basic medical bay,  nothing special. Right now it's completely automated with no staff. Ever seen Prometheus? Sorta like that one machine.  And when you say "Synthoid arm" do you mean just a standard Robot arm?
((Yep.))

One standard robot right arm from the shoulder down please, to go.

Aresteve's node is down several hundred meters via a special service elevator. Down in the small black cell that holds the access node is a Synthflesh avatar of the Computer, who is standing over by the wall, writing on the metal with a bit of chalk. As you walk in, he turns his head to look at you, and pauses, mid stroke.

>Hello. Anton right? I'm afraid I don't know the missing component. I'll consult with my older brother.

He freezes for a second, then loosens back up. He turns back to his drawing.

>He says you don't have the facilities for it. He says that the Sword acquired the material needed to produce them during the...China 9 incident?

Aresteve looks at you with a furrowed brow.

>Does that mean anything to you? Hmm. Well, he provided plans for the basic facilities. Some parts will have to be ordered in. Precision duplicator automanipulator seems to be the major piece, production wise, but the real trouble is the containment systems. They're very complex. The entire production line needs to be completely isolated, and I mean completely. Electrical, Gravity, radiation, organic interference, neural proximity...no sentient beings allowed within a 2 kilometer radius while the shield is open. And...oh dear.  The containment protocol is quite harsh as well.

Anton scratches his chin.
"So, it's a very dangerous thing to have around. Assuming we do expand our production line in that direction, will it be possible to somehow have this production facility off-world? I'm assuming most of the requirements don't intersect with what we already have here anyway, so we'd be building a whole new complex just for it. And by the sound of it, something like a separate orbital facility, perhaps in a stationary orbit so we can keep track of it all the time, would be the best choice. Can we manage something like that with our current capacities, assuming we do get the necessary components?"

Query Aresteve.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2014, 03:19:07 pm »

You want to try and research a hallucination?
((Specifically reports of hallucinations seen by multiple people, but yes.))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2014, 06:13:34 am »

I wonder if amps (which are about the size of a poststamp I think) would show up on a (medical) scan such as MRI or X-ray or something. If yes, you have a handy and easy way of testing your work force, and the perfect excuse (mandatory medical check for all workers).

Might be worthwhile to look into it.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2014, 09:00:43 am »

I wonder if amps (which are about the size of a poststamp I think) would show up on a (medical) scan such as MRI or X-ray or something. If yes, you have a handy and easy way of testing your work force, and the perfect excuse (mandatory medical check for all workers).

It'd be too easy for the UE/SW to simply 'replace' a worker that's already been cleared.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2014, 09:28:28 am »

It'd be too easy for the UE/SW to simply 'replace' a worker that's already been cleared.

Not if you kept those you already checked apart from those you haven't. And made sure you went over everybody one-by-one, not letting those already checked leave until the rest are done. Not sure how many workers there are though, might be quite the operation.

Even if that's too unwieldy, if the scanner doesn't need to very powerful to pick up an amp, you could just install them at various chokepoints. Kinda like hidden airport scanners. Or do random searches with hand scanners to try and catch him by chance. Or a combination of these.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2014, 09:34:44 am »

Hey, I just remembered something: Doesn't the organic amps leave noticeable changes in brain chemistry/makeup? If you do a med check on Leo, you could probably tell if he's been tampered with...
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2014, 11:11:18 am »

-snip-

Actually, that is a good idea. And as far as I know, we don't have so many workers to make it take a long time (according to PW, Hephaestus can practically run itself with ARES/ARESTEVE, and only had a skeleton workforce when we invaded).
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2014, 12:03:40 pm »

You want to try and research a hallucination?
((Specifically reports of hallucinations seen by multiple people, but yes.))
Hmmm. Well, just searching for "Man what have mouth in chest"  is gonna give you lots of stuff, the problem being that it's gonna be hard to parse out what is nonsense and what, if anything, is useful data. After all, you're gonna pull up every forum post by every drug addled teen talking about what he saw under the effect of the newest designer drug and how it "Like totally blew his mind, man".

((Actually, Saint is constantly wearing an MK1 suit and an exoskeleton, despite being a robot.))

Without the suit, of course.  I would imagine the heat fins would burn through it if I tried to squeeze the skin over an MK suit.

((Wonderful, the only doctor we have available for brain transfers is probably about to die.))
The suit just sort of hangs limp on your robot lack of flesh. hmmm.

Anton Chernozorov[/b]

Right now the method of transfer into Robodies is basically You, and whatever medical skill you can muster.  So, unless you want to manually shuffle brains into bodies, you might want to set up something before hand.
((Yeah, that will likely have to wait until we have something better set up.))

Belay that production order.

No. Not really. You can salvage a few but, none are still moving. Wait, whats the merchant? Is that a different name for the party wagon? Help.
((The Merchant is the large cargo transporter we salvaged, it lacks cargo pods and needs booster rockets to get into orbit. I was thinking of outfitting it with a massive amount of missiles back then, but scrapped the idea and the ship was left untouched. We did repair it I think, but we did nothing besides that to it, so it was probably still sitting in the salvage yard.

Right now I want to know if it can be used to start gathering the various debris in orbit.))

You've got a basic medical bay,  nothing special. Right now it's completely automated with no staff. Ever seen Prometheus? Sorta like that one machine.  And when you say "Synthoid arm" do you mean just a standard Robot arm?
((Yep.))

One standard robot right arm from the shoulder down please, to go.

Aresteve's node is down several hundred meters via a special service elevator. Down in the small black cell that holds the access node is a Synthflesh avatar of the Computer, who is standing over by the wall, writing on the metal with a bit of chalk. As you walk in, he turns his head to look at you, and pauses, mid stroke.

>Hello. Anton right? I'm afraid I don't know the missing component. I'll consult with my older brother.

He freezes for a second, then loosens back up. He turns back to his drawing.

>He says you don't have the facilities for it. He says that the Sword acquired the material needed to produce them during the...China 9 incident?

Aresteve looks at you with a furrowed brow.

>Does that mean anything to you? Hmm. Well, he provided plans for the basic facilities. Some parts will have to be ordered in. Precision duplicator automanipulator seems to be the major piece, production wise, but the real trouble is the containment systems. They're very complex. The entire production line needs to be completely isolated, and I mean completely. Electrical, Gravity, radiation, organic interference, neural proximity...no sentient beings allowed within a 2 kilometer radius while the shield is open. And...oh dear.  The containment protocol is quite harsh as well.

Anton scratches his chin.
"So, it's a very dangerous thing to have around. Assuming we do expand our production line in that direction, will it be possible to somehow have this production facility off-world? I'm assuming most of the requirements don't intersect with what we already have here anyway, so we'd be building a whole new complex just for it. And by the sound of it, something like a separate orbital facility, perhaps in a stationary orbit so we can keep track of it all the time, would be the best choice. Can we manage something like that with our current capacities, assuming we do get the necessary components?"

Query Aresteve.

Belayed.

Yes, though you'd probably be dragging it into close orbit and then scaving it and taking the pieces down in smaller chunks, since it's all too big to just land with now.

One robot arm, hold the fries. Order up.

Aresteve points across the room and the holodisplay for the node lights up and begins displaying a map of the Hephaestus system. It zooms in near the planet and highlights several objects.

>Hephaestus has several large bodies orbiting it. I believe this one

The display zooms in on one of the highlighted objects until you can see it as a large asteroid.

May be what you are looking for. It is in a Trojan orbit around the L5 Lagrangian point of the planet. The object is of a large enough size and mass to allow the creation of a facility without fear of interrupting the orbit.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2014, 01:20:15 pm »

PW, can amps installed in a person's brain be detected using standard (medical) scanning techniques such as MRI or X-ray? If yes, is it possible for an amp to be installed in such a way that it would be hidden from such procedures?

(Hope you don't mind me asking this here, but I figured I'd check before they start making plans for naught.)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2014, 03:03:45 pm »

PW, can amps installed in a person's brain be detected using standard (medical) scanning techniques such as MRI or X-ray? If yes, is it possible for an amp to be installed in such a way that it would be hidden from such procedures?

(Hope you don't mind me asking this here, but I figured I'd check before they start making plans for naught.)
Yes, they can be detected like that. They are, after all, a chunk of metal in your head.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2014, 03:25:58 pm »

"Hrm.  This suit seems to have no discernable effect, at least not on this body. Oh well.  Simus, do you have any suggestions on what I should do to help your security operations?  If not, I'm just going to work on some programs and try designing something in VR."

Take off the skinsuit :(.  Put my MK1 and sub-exo back on, then head to my room and store the suit.  Afterwards, head to our medical area and examine what equipment we have available.  Charge an AUX bonus.

Actual VR stuff to come later today when I have more time.

((Remember, Saint's our only fleshtech at the moment.  MRI might be a med or AUX roll.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2014, 04:28:05 pm »

Don't worry about it - I'm sure we'll get test subjects that aren't robots at some point - it might react better to them. As for anything you can do, you have medical experience, yeah?

Aresteve, how many workers are left on the planet, that you can tell?
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2014, 05:11:47 pm »

Search instead for hallucinations seen by multiple people.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2014, 07:08:55 pm »

Don't worry about it - I'm sure we'll get test subjects that aren't robots at some point - it might react better to them. As for anything you can do, you have medical experience, yeah?

"Yes, I used to work in a hospital before being, ah, recruited by ARM.  I haven't had any real practice since then though.  What do you need me to do?"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 84