Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 84

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 188086 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus Techland: Let the testing commence.
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 03:34:09 pm »

((I think you guys are talking in person, so Saint can't hear, but eh.  This is kind of important.))

Quote from: From Steve Saint to Simus and Anton
"I suggest we only manufacture sods with robotic bodies for the time being.  After all, if we're intending to hunt down an enemy with an organochemistry amp, sods would be a very easy target for them.  Robotic sods can easily be disabled by us if they're compromised, and their bodies would be somewhat usable even with their brain disconnected.

I will begin adapting some of my old programs to a proper remote control suite as soon as I am finished with this suit."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 03:46:16 pm »

Simus goes up to the control room and takes a seat at one of the monitor banks, for the isolation rooms, and monitors Saint - if anything seems to be going wrong, she sends the knock-out electrocution order to his implant.

Not going to plan it out first, Anton? After all, if there is an Urban Executor or Shadow Walker lurking about, any sods we create for security could be suborned. I say we create a security plan before we start making anything - it shouldn't take long, but would probably be a lot better than immediately pumping out some footsoldiers and growing it from there.

And Saint, I've got you on camera - but once you're done with this, let's put testing aside until we finish security matters, yes?

((Also, just so you guys know, PW has said (In an OOC manner) that Leo was acting of his own accord. Might find that out when we interrogate him.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 04:29:17 pm »

Not going to plan it out first, Anton? After all, if there is an Urban Executor or Shadow Walker lurking about, any sods we create for security could be suborned. I say we create a security plan before we start making anything - it shouldn't take long, but would probably be a lot better than immediately pumping out some footsoldiers and growing it from there.
"Normally I would agree, but fact of the matter is, we do need some bodies on the ground, one way or the other. Even just to guard the inside of sensitive rooms. If we make automated scout drones to do the patrolling, we still aren't going to hunt a Shadow Walker down just by ourselves, and Sods should have sufficient training to recognize - and report - any mind control, so they are the best we can get for the task. What it all adds up to is the notion that, if any security plan we devise is bound to end up requiring Sod security personnel anyway, I think it's prudent to set the production lines in motion now, rather than later - that way we can have the troops ready by the time we come up with the plan. I agree with Saint on robotic Sods, however. Less maintenance."
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 05:23:20 pm »

If they can recognize attempts at suborning them, then go ahead, for now - and yes, I agree with Saint as well - make them just brains in robotic bodies, the rest of the body can be recycled in the pits.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2014, 06:21:54 pm »

((This is my PTW.

Just wanted to remind you that you could have ARESTEVE handle some of the security stuff. He might not be as smart as Steve, but he should be good enough.

And I'm guessing manipulators need either human brains or the flesh of the god.

Gonna wait a bit for time to pass but messages from Flint telling people what's going on from his perspective will start arriving eventually. Not yet though, since we're probably still in stasis.

EDIT: Oh, and you also got the builderbot data from the snowglobe mission and the sharkmist data from mission 8 you could use to build large structures.))

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 04:54:02 am by Parisbre56 »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2014, 08:10:50 pm »

((PTW for this thread. Just to watch the fun, and I might also need to RP the feral Xan clone thing I left behind in cas you guys send it out to convert biomass on the planet into itself to fight the flesh overload or something.
Just sayin.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 08:32:57 pm »

And Saint, I've got you on camera - but once you're done with this, let's put testing aside until we finish security matters, yes?

((I'm so happy that talking is a free action.))

"Thanks, Simus.  And about that plan... do you have any ideas?  We have a massive area to search, if we want to try and find the Operative, so it's simply not feasible without using sods.  My opinion is that we should find some way to get into Leo's mind, and check if it really was tampered with.  We can't simply interrogate him, because the Operative may have made him think that it was his idea.

Aside from that, the best plan I can think of is to use sods, watched directly by us, to herd the various workers somewhere that we can keep a constant eye on them.  Tell everyone that if they leave this area, they will be shot, and set sods to patrol and do just that.  And don't station sods anywhere that a civilian who isn't in a restricted area could see.  Lock all doors, and only allow ourselves to open them.  It won't prevent an Operative with good camoflage getting around, but it would make life significantly harder for them.  Also, linking our view feeds might be a good idea, so that if one of us is compromised they can't do anything too severe."

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 02:50:46 am »

Charles silently enters his room and flicks on the safety of his rifle before removing its magazines and detonators. Though he was unskilled in such matters, (nearly shooting a teammate during his first mission an admittedly embarrassing testament to that), he knew enough to take this precaution, not that these were the thoughts now on his mind.

The recent events seemed to sum up his experience thus far: months of stillness, monotony and - dare he say - progress, punctuated with brief hours of dread, spiced with the anxiety that perhaps, it would all be for naught. The battle itself, the counterattack and the denouement that followed seemed, peripheral, detached, as if they were no different than the fleeting, double-parenthesized text that occasionally graced his sight. Or rather, the delusional phantasmagoria, perceived by what he now calls sight.

Come to think of it...
Charles researches, using whatever information sources he is permitted to use, the Seven-Eyed Sheep and the other, more disturbing hallucination he had when he tried summoning it.
((I won't be online that regularly, so for anyone who needs it, feel free to use Charles as a speech-rolling facility.))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2014, 12:37:52 pm »

((Steve wouldn't be bugged by the suit at all, really.  He'd probably find it neat.))

First, send this text:

Quote from: From Steve Saint to Simus and Anton
I am in containment cell H-3, although I have not locked myself in.  The Nyars box contained a... bodysuit made of human skin.  I intend to try it on.

If I do not send a message stating that I am fine within the next, oh, minute, please ask Steve to shock me into unconciousness, then try to find me and remove the suit.

Now put the suit on.  Wait for a moment, trying to feel if it's raping my mind or something.  If it doesn't, send a message to the other two that I'm fine, and go head to my private room's VR console.  Lock the door.  And charge an AUX bonus. 

If it does try to rape my mind, but I win, explain such to S&A, and tell them I'm going to learn to conquer it.  Sit there and charge a will bonus.

Question: Naked or clothed?

Are you gonna get naked and put it on or do it clothed.

This is important.

Anton Chernozorov

For now, Anton, we have about six major jobs to do, in order of importance - internal security, external security, rounding up what's left of that fleet we partially captured for repairs, refits, or scrapping, bringing the equipment stocked in the Sword and other ARM ships' armouries up-to-date, then research and design - using everything at our disposal, from artefacts we might receive from Steve to things we can put together like your RT, and finally supplying the ARM with everything from ships to grenades to footsoldiers. Most of these jobs can be done in tandem, but if we've got a potential Urban Executor or Shadow Walker, then internal security takes precedence above all else.
"Yeah, I agree. So... all hands to the fleshpits? And feet, and livers, and whatever else goes into Sods around here. We better take a survey of the area and see how many security squads we need."

As per work clothes, what did you have in mind?
Green/grey overalls made of thick nonflammable fabric, tool vest with as many pockets and pouches as physically possible, steel-toed boots, welding goggles, black fabric left glove with rubber grips, Red Hand.

Get four four-Sod squads manufactured, along with their gear (use existing gear if available), even mix of Laser and Gauss rifles, wearing distinctive security uniforms and any light military armor available (either in stock or to manufacture). No opaque faceplates. If the facilities can handle their transfer into synthoid bodies automatically, do that. Otherwise have them manufactured and transferred into synthoid bodies by whichever method is available.
Leave setting them and their controllers up as actual security to Simus, she is better at such matters.

Finally ascertain if any of our small ships survived the space battle, besides the Party Wagon which didn't participate. See if the Merchant is still intact after the bombardment, and what kind of resources it would take to make it ready for orbital salvage ops.

Go to ARESTEVE and inquire on the missing component required for amps and manipulators. What is it, where could it be found if not mined. If nothing else, kinetic amps are going to be needed, and certain weapons like the Plasma Projector rely on automanipulators.

Examine the base facilities for any sort of medical bay, since we might need it. Get acquainted with the staff, if any. Requisition a synthoid right arm (shoulder down) for examination, report the requisitioning to Simus if granted.

Render any help Saint might require should his suit turn on him.

((Edit: amended action to specify synthoid sods))

Right now the method of transfer into Robodies is basically You, and whatever medical skill you can muster.  So, unless you want to manually shuffle brains into bodies, you might want to set up something before hand.

No. Not really. You can salvage a few but, none are still moving. Wait, whats the merchant? Is that a different name for the party wagon? Help.

You've got a basic medical bay,  nothing special. Right now it's completely automated with no staff. Ever seen Prometheus? Sorta like that one machine.  And when you say "Synthoid arm" do you mean just a standard Robot arm?

Aresteve's node is down several hundred meters via a special service elevator. Down in the small black cell that holds the access node is a Synthflesh avatar of the Computer, who is standing over by the wall, writing on the metal with a bit of chalk. As you walk in, he turns his head to look at you, and pauses, mid stroke.

>Hello. Anton right? I'm afraid I don't know the missing component. I'll consult with my older brother.

He freezes for a second, then loosens back up. He turns back to his drawing.

>He says you don't have the facilities for it. He says that the Sword acquired the material needed to produce them during the...China 9 incident?

Aresteve looks at you with a furrowed brow.

>Does that mean anything to you? Hmm. Well, he provided plans for the basic facilities. Some parts will have to be ordered in. Precision duplicator automanipulator seems to be the major piece, production wise, but the real trouble is the containment systems. They're very complex. The entire production line needs to be completely isolated, and I mean completely. Electrical, Gravity, radiation, organic interference, neural proximity...no sentient beings allowed within a 2 kilometer radius while the shield is open. And...oh dear.  The containment protocol is quite harsh as well.

Simus goes up to the control room and takes a seat at one of the monitor banks, for the isolation rooms, and monitors Saint - if anything seems to be going wrong, she sends the knock-out electrocution order to his implant.

((Also, just so you guys know, PW has said (In an OOC manner) that Leo was acting of his own accord. Might find that out when we interrogate him.))
Standing by and spying on potentially naked people.

Charles silently enters his room and flicks on the safety of his rifle before removing its magazines and detonators. Though he was unskilled in such matters, (nearly shooting a teammate during his first mission an admittedly embarrassing testament to that), he knew enough to take this precaution, not that these were the thoughts now on his mind.

The recent events seemed to sum up his experience thus far: months of stillness, monotony and - dare he say - progress, punctuated with brief hours of dread, spiced with the anxiety that perhaps, it would all be for naught. The battle itself, the counterattack and the denouement that followed seemed, peripheral, detached, as if they were no different than the fleeting, double-parenthesized text that occasionally graced his sight. Or rather, the delusional phantasmagoria, perceived by what he now calls sight.

Come to think of it...
Charles researches, using whatever information sources he is permitted to use, the Seven-Eyed Sheep and the other, more disturbing hallucination he had when he tried summoning it.
((I won't be online that regularly, so for anyone who needs it, feel free to use Charles as a speech-rolling facility.))

The other hallucination...Mr. Sideways mouth? You want to try and research a hallucination?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 12:43:56 pm »

((Syvarris is in a robobody, so I don't think he wears clothes.))
Sig! Onol

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2014, 01:32:17 pm »

((It would be really funny if it turned out there is no UE or SW left on Hephaustus, and you guys spend a lot of time chasing specters of your own paranoia.

For the flesh horror thing, you could always design some scout robots and have them go map out the caverns and such, so you'll have an easier time locating, isolating, and destroying it if need be.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2014, 01:35:30 pm »

((The caverns that it's making? Remember it's tunnelling through the ground on its own.))
Sig! Onol

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2014, 01:39:18 pm »

((The caverns that it's making? Remember it's tunnelling through the ground on its own.))

((I know, so that's why I proposed to let a few autonomous robots do it. We're not sure how big or mobile it is, and with a job like this, you'll want to be thorough. Missing a piece just means you have to deal with it again later, but this time it'll be wiser to your strategies. There's really no half-assing this.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2014, 01:40:16 pm »

((Well, there is, it just leads to horror movie territory.))
Sig! Onol

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2014, 01:43:31 pm »

((Well, there is, it just leads to horror movie territory.))

((For some reason, I suspect they'll want to avoid such a situation.))

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 84