Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 84

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 188214 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus Techland: Big Brother is Watching
« Reply #975 on: February 10, 2015, 07:36:54 am »

It's already based on a spacesuit in principle. You could tack extra tanks on without issues for underwater ops (mass not being as much of an issue), assuming it ever... gets off the ground.

And ninja'd.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: February 10, 2015, 07:55:25 am »

Orders for available science team (according to wiki): start interrogating headless, or at least try to find a way to communicate with it. Do some light, non-invasive medical tests. Order them to be extremely careful (both in terms of patient safety and containment), even if that means working slower or not doing certain tests.

Orders for available construction team (according to wiki): build another stevebot production facility

And finally, question: if we coated a Hammer cannon round with those anti-spess magic rods, would that allow the round to negate a cap ship's automanip defenses and hit it anyway?

(If another Hephead wants to change crew assignment, go ahead, just mention it to pw you're altering it).

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: February 10, 2015, 02:11:23 pm »

((Ah, woops, I hadn't updated the Heph page since the first.  I actually assigned that Science crew to researching a MMI back on the second, although headless is also a good project.  We do have a construction crew, so that part's fine.  I updated the wiki page, so it's now up to date and accurate.))

Just to make sure, we actually don't have a free science crew- I'd just forgotten to update the wiki page.  Turn will come later.

Medium armor design (Badgerplate?):

1.Okay, so we've determined with the Battlesuit thing that a layer of either of the hex armors is equivalent in cost to a layer of BS plate.  Now, I want to make a really thin variant of that BS's armor, basically medium armor for infantry, like Milnoplate.

2.To do this, I want to take the inch thick layer of hexbug and make it a third as thick.  Before I commit to this, test how tough it is against impact.  Before, you said this is thick enough to resist a gauss cannon, but shatter in the process.  I assume that means it can resist standard gauss rifle rounds?

3.Now, test the weight of it.  Full milnoplate would cancel out the strength of an exoskeleton, but what percentage of that weight would a chestplate and helmet of this weigh?

4.Test a 1/6 inch layer of hexsand against a cutting laser.  This is a third the thickness that can resist a plasma projector, so I guess it does fine?

5.Test the weight of a full suit (which uses plates to cover most of the body, but not joints) made of this, as compared to full Milnoplate.

6.Lastly, test a half-thickness layer of battlesuit plate, for completeness.  It resists gauss rifles and laser rifles fine, right?

7.I'm just gonna assume a full suit of this weighs half as much as full Milnoplate.

Back to the Battlesuits

8.I wanna replace the Battlesuit's endo/exo/whateverskeleton system with one of the improved skeleton's from Radio's research project.  Can we get any benefit from this, and if so, to what degree?  +1/3 to str/end?

9.Same for the heavy robobody, which I'll assume is to the same degree unless you say otherwise.

((Did I forget anything?))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: February 10, 2015, 07:33:46 pm »

((Okay, time to get onto stuff Charles is actually competent at.))
  • Ask ARESTEVE whether Lars and Miyamoto can be contacted yet to review the propaganda video
  • Inquire about whether there are any colonized planets near Hephaestus or the nearest jump-point
  • Get the demographics and other population data of Hephaestus
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: February 11, 2015, 03:50:00 am »

((I've nothing to do while the MkIII-A is in limbo, so just tossing these into the action queue:))

The Plasma Stake weapons still work, right? Get two prototypes manufactured - one with single-load mechanism, one with 5-round loader. A crate of 20 single reloads and 4 five-round magazines as well. Add everything to the shipping manifest for the next Sword supply run.

The science team that was working on the High Energy Blast Cannon has been at it for two weeks now (13 days as of this post, but full two weeks when the update will be). Can we have a progress report? Not necessarily a result, just a report.

On that note, how about we just use per-week checks for unspecified research? I.e., instead of setting a predetermined completion date for stuff like development of new technologies or improvement of existing ones, there is a roll made for every week of RL time that the team is working, and the result determines the progress the team makes in the task. More teams assigned either shortens intervals between checks or gives roll bonus. Kind of like how inventing works in GURPS. Think it would be more fair/accurate/easy to work with?

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #980 on: February 11, 2015, 12:31:55 pm »

Orders for available science team (according to wiki): start interrogating headless, or at least try to find a way to communicate with it. Do some light, non-invasive medical tests. Order them to be extremely careful (both in terms of patient safety and containment), even if that means working slower or not doing certain tests.

Orders for available construction team (according to wiki): build another stevebot production facility

And finally, question: if we coated a Hammer cannon round with those anti-spess magic rods, would that allow the round to negate a cap ship's automanip defenses and hit it anyway?

(If another Hephead wants to change crew assignment, go ahead, just mention it to pw you're altering it).
Interrogation and examination of headless beginning.

Steve bot ho

Remember that our cannons use space magic to fire. Insulating a shell against space magic would make it hard to fire. Not to mention that firing a moving field like that...oh dear. Just stick a knife in reality's belly and yank upwards why don't you.

((Ah, woops, I hadn't updated the Heph page since the first.  I actually assigned that Science crew to researching a MMI back on the second, although headless is also a good project.  We do have a construction crew, so that part's fine.  I updated the wiki page, so it's now up to date and accurate.))

Just to make sure, we actually don't have a free science crew- I'd just forgotten to update the wiki page.  Turn will come later.

Medium armor design (Badgerplate?):

1.Okay, so we've determined with the Battlesuit thing that a layer of either of the hex armors is equivalent in cost to a layer of BS plate.  Now, I want to make a really thin variant of that BS's armor, basically medium armor for infantry, like Milnoplate.

2.To do this, I want to take the inch thick layer of hexbug and make it a third as thick.  Before I commit to this, test how tough it is against impact.  Before, you said this is thick enough to resist a gauss cannon, but shatter in the process.  I assume that means it can resist standard gauss rifle rounds?

3.Now, test the weight of it.  Full milnoplate would cancel out the strength of an exoskeleton, but what percentage of that weight would a chestplate and helmet of this weigh?

4.Test a 1/6 inch layer of hexsand against a cutting laser.  This is a third the thickness that can resist a plasma projector, so I guess it does fine?

5.Test the weight of a full suit (which uses plates to cover most of the body, but not joints) made of this, as compared to full Milnoplate.

6.Lastly, test a half-thickness layer of battlesuit plate, for completeness.  It resists gauss rifles and laser rifles fine, right?

7.I'm just gonna assume a full suit of this weighs half as much as full Milnoplate.

Back to the Battlesuits

8.I wanna replace the Battlesuit's endo/exo/whateverskeleton system with one of the improved skeleton's from Radio's research project.  Can we get any benefit from this, and if so, to what degree?  +1/3 to str/end?

9.Same for the heavy robobody, which I'll assume is to the same degree unless you say otherwise.

((Did I forget anything?))
So no headless interrogation?

1. Ok.
2. Yes, something that thin could resist gauss rounds.
3. Depends on your definition of full. If we're copying milno's set up though, no, it would be lighter.
4. Hexsand is basically entirely immune to laser fire. Directed energy just doesn't really work against it.
5. It's lighter
6. Yes.
7. More or less.
8-9 Did we ever really go over the capacities and drawbacks of those skeletons? I don't remember ever actually talking about them.

((Okay, time to get onto stuff Charles is actually competent at.))
  • Ask ARESTEVE whether Lars and Miyamoto can be contacted yet to review the propaganda video
  • Inquire about whether there are any colonized planets near Hephaestus or the nearest jump-point
  • Get the demographics and other population data of Hephaestus
They can be.

There are, though the majority aren't really useful to us beyond maybe contributing men and some materials.

Don't worry about that crap here. Assume everyone is loyal enough to keep working. Or scared enough at least.

((I've nothing to do while the MkIII-A is in limbo, so just tossing these into the action queue:))

The Plasma Stake weapons still work, right? Get two prototypes manufactured - one with single-load mechanism, one with 5-round loader. A crate of 20 single reloads and 4 five-round magazines as well. Add everything to the shipping manifest for the next Sword supply run.

The science team that was working on the High Energy Blast Cannon has been at it for two weeks now (13 days as of this post, but full two weeks when the update will be). Can we have a progress report? Not necessarily a result, just a report.

On that note, how about we just use per-week checks for unspecified research? I.e., instead of setting a predetermined completion date for stuff like development of new technologies or improvement of existing ones, there is a roll made for every week of RL time that the team is working, and the result determines the progress the team makes in the task. More teams assigned either shortens intervals between checks or gives roll bonus. Kind of like how inventing works in GURPS. Think it would be more fair/accurate/easy to work with?

I don't see why they wouldn't.

Alright.

They've found a way to drastically reduce energy wastage and as such heat generation. Unfortunately doing this requires keeping the reflection array cold. Very cold. Less then 10 Kelvin cold. They're trying to find a way to keep it cold like that without massive cooling systems.

I wouldn't mind that, but someone would probably have to remind me, what with all the crap going on.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: February 11, 2015, 06:25:08 pm »

Nope, sorry, I got that wrong, syv is correct.

Question: what is being produced on Hep right now that isn't explicitely stated by us? For example, are we mass producing weapons for shipping? Can we assume approved new items/weapons/prototypes will be mass produced?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: February 13, 2015, 07:55:33 am »

Anton Chernozorov

Is any more input needed from me on the matter of the electric jetpack suit? Besides saying that no, making into into a vehicle won't do?

On the High Energy Blast Cannon (snappier acronym needed stat), is there enough testing data to replicate it in VR? If so, I'd like to quickly pop into VR and fire a 1/2 compressed shot, and a 3/4 compressed shot at a regular UWM Battlesuit to see what it does. Aimed center mass in both cases. If the system knows how HEP blasts and hexsand interacts, try both settings against a wall of hexsand - how is it affected, if at all?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #983 on: February 13, 2015, 12:29:37 pm »

Nope, sorry, I got that wrong, syv is correct.

Question: what is being produced on Hep right now that isn't explicitely stated by us? For example, are we mass producing weapons for shipping? Can we assume approved new items/weapons/prototypes will be mass produced?

Standard weapons, materials, ARESTEVE's projects are being made, but not mass produced. Things like Hexplate and Blue Radite batteries aren't being mass produced yet, but they're being manufactured. Steve bots and brains too, obviously. It used to be that the manufacturing power was heavily going into the ship yard or the space magic thing, but those are completed for the moment.

Anton Chernozorov

Is any more input needed from me on the matter of the electric jetpack suit? Besides saying that no, making into into a vehicle won't do?

On the High Energy Blast Cannon (snappier acronym needed stat), is there enough testing data to replicate it in VR? If so, I'd like to quickly pop into VR and fire a 1/2 compressed shot, and a 3/4 compressed shot at a regular UWM Battlesuit to see what it does. Aimed center mass in both cases. If the system knows how HEP blasts and hexsand interacts, try both settings against a wall of hexsand - how is it affected, if at all?

Boomstick.

Well, it can simulate Battlesuits, and your shots do some pretty damn good damage. I forget how they did against ship armor, but it's gonna be somewhat similar. Battlesuit plate is better, or at least more efficient at absorbing and deflecting energy, but it's not perfect.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: February 13, 2015, 01:55:48 pm »

((I was rather figuring you'd extrapolate from the last test done with HEP versus a battlesuit, though it's not inconceivable you don't even remember that took place. Here's your quote on the matter (it was done as part of a battery of tests):

A. Fire the following at VR Sods/generic VR people:

1. Laser Rifle
2. Gauss Rifle
3. Crystalline Projector
4. Sibilus Rifle
5. Cutting Laser
6. High Energy Projector
7. Piezoelectric Shard Launcher (original, not Testament)

B. Then do the above again, but with battlesuits. (Don't aim specifically for joints, I don't know about that weakness IC.)
<snip>

b.
1.Not much
2.Not much
3.Burrows slightly, but better at restraining then dealing real damage. Unless you catch a joint, then it can wrench it right off.
4. One shot? Not much.
5.Suit is very resistant to lasers, so even the cutting laser doesn't do much more then heat a glowing line across the armor. Assuming a swipe, not a concentrated beam over a good period.
6. Heats it red hot and throws it 20 feet backwards. Might shatter a layer of armor if the armor is already damaged.
7. Has good penetration but not so much that it would be really dangerous unless you got very lucky.
Emboldening mine.

I'm guessing the force delivered will be similar, but since it's focused on a smaller area the effect will be much greater.
Earlier we assumed/calculated the 3/4 beam to be half a meter across (assuming the HEP itself makes one 2 meters across like the original pyramid), so it can actually target some specific area on the battlesuit. Suppose a 3/4 shot is aimed at the top of its torso - would it be enough to comically toss it cartwheeling backwards, in addition to the damage the shot itself inflicts? :P))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: February 14, 2015, 09:37:08 am »

Could you give me a quick idea of how many solar systems/planets are easily/realistically reachable from Hep, and what they are like? Eg "there's 40 systems reachable, 30 are empty and the rest are small colonies, except for one that's more developed and garrisoned".

While working, Miya remembers he still has something he shold check up on, and contacts Charles.

"Hey Charles, Miyamoto here. How's it going? All still going well on my favorite dirtball in space?

Anyways, I'm calling you to ask if you've made any headway with those propaganda videos."

Also, review Charles' video.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 06:35:18 pm by Radio Controlled »

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: February 14, 2015, 06:25:38 pm »

"Yes sir, I have made a general video that is ready for review, though if you have a specific planet in mind I could probably do something better targeted."
Charles sends Miyamoto and Lars the propaganda video for review.

He also asks ARESTEVE if it has anything he might find of interest *cough*magic beginning to exist*cough*.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 10:22:47 pm by Empiricist »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: February 14, 2015, 07:14:52 pm »

"Yes sir, I have made a general video that is ready for review, though if you have a specific planet in mind I could probably do something better targeted."
Charles sends Miyamoto and Lars the propaganda video for review.

"Excellent. I'll review them soon. How hard was it to make these? And did you learn anything interesting while researching them?"

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: February 14, 2015, 10:22:00 pm »

"Not too difficult seeing as this is just a general video that doesn't really target anyone in particular, plus ARESTEVE provided most of the data required.

As for anything I learned, the information regarding the Silent Worlds seems quite interesting seeing as they cannot be confirmed to be truly dead and may instead just be occupied by fellow humans in a no longer recognizable form, I suppose you could say that it provides a certain amount to relief to know that regardless of the UWM or ARM's actions, some formerly human entities may still survive and prosper."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: February 15, 2015, 11:28:13 pm »

Hephaestus maintenance:

1:What exactly does our Stevebot production facility do?  Is it like another fleshpit, for me to beancount SBs?  Or does it just give us a generic "We got stevebots now" perk?

2:Relatedly, we still have whatever facilities were used to make the original stevebots which we had during the Heph defense, right?  How does their production capacity compare to the shiny new one?

3:Nobody ever decided on when the science crew that's working on Anton's energetic slug projector or whatever is gonna be done.  He seemed to want to have a weekly roll to determine progress, but I'm not gonna be the guy to keep track of that.  :P

Answer:

4:We never did go into how Radio's exoskeles would improve stuff.  You'd have to talk with him.  How much are you okay with the new exoskeletons improving over the old ones?

Armor:

5:So, for the medium armor: I want to build it on top of the sharksuit.  Cover the entire sharksuit with a layer of hexsand armoring, like Anton's Mk.III alternative.  Hexsand over sharkplate is resistant to shattering and falling off, so try and maintain that ability.

6:Next, take all the torso and head protection from the Milnoplate design.  Reduce thickness to half that of BS plate, and put it on top of the suit.

7:Dub the completed suit the Badgersuit, until somebody gets annoyed and renames it. ;)

Heavy Robotic Body stuff:

8:This is bugging me: There's two types of HRB that I've designed; one with only three layers of battlesuit plate, and one that has a single BS layer on top of the two single-type resistant armors.  Theoretically, the former is better at withstanding sustained small arms fire, while the latter is better at sustaining heavy anti-battlesuit weapons.  Noting that this suit is meant to support infantry in places that battlesuits can't go, ask ARESTEVE which option he thinks is better long term.

((We've got a free construction crew.  Dunno what to do with it.  tired.  Also, wondering what I should do about the new head system on the wiki page.  Is this something that won't be official till Nik arrives, or is it immediate without any RP or what?

Also, gonna look up what stuff I've designed, for the shipping manifest page.  For now, I can remember: Sharksuit, Assault suit, Badgersuit, Heavy Robotic Body.  I feel like there's something I forgot.))
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 84