Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 84

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 188139 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus Techland: Big Brother is Watching
« Reply #855 on: December 11, 2014, 06:30:18 pm »

Well lets see. That machine gun is custom, and propellant based, which is increasingly rare, so probably 3 token for the gun body. 1 for the camera and circuitry needed to set up remote firing and siting through a wristpad.  Motorized ball joint stand is like 1 too, since it's fairly simple. That magazine is a bit difficult since the combination things needed to make it work as you want is sorta complex. I mean, Drum magazines area already complicated with their spider gears and all, but mix in explosive backing and making the thing essentially a claymore and you have something not cheap. A magazine itself is gonna cost 1 token, and thats empty. Filled with straight ammo, 2 token and full with the ClF3 ammo, 3.
((So, 3-4 tokens then?))

Charles sends the conversion kit to Simus for review.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #856 on: December 13, 2014, 12:05:12 pm »

Well lets see. That machine gun is custom, and propellant based, which is increasingly rare, so probably 3 token for the gun body. 1 for the camera and circuitry needed to set up remote firing and siting through a wristpad.  Motorized ball joint stand is like 1 too, since it's fairly simple. That magazine is a bit difficult since the combination things needed to make it work as you want is sorta complex. I mean, Drum magazines area already complicated with their spider gears and all, but mix in explosive backing and making the thing essentially a claymore and you have something not cheap. A magazine itself is gonna cost 1 token, and thats empty. Filled with straight ammo, 2 token and full with the ClF3 ammo, 3.
((So, 3-4 tokens then?))

Charles sends the conversion kit to Simus for review.

Well, simus and the council.

YO, COUNCIL.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: December 13, 2014, 12:47:04 pm »

((Emp, could you please summarize all the relevant info into a single post? This would be mighty convenient.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: December 13, 2014, 07:30:42 pm »

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 07:58:45 pm by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: December 15, 2014, 01:26:55 pm »

Revival of the Testament Underbarrel Shard Grenade launcher.  Basically, I want to make a grenade launcher attachment for the Testament LSW, which uses the Testament's ammo to form the grenades.

1.First, I want to test what happens when a sphere made from the crystal material gets shot by a Testament shard midair.  Does it detonate normally?  Create a directed blast?  Split into segments before detonating, ruining it's lethality?  If a shard can effectively airburst a sphere, test that below, but otherwise test a sphere shot into a hard wall.

2.As an aside to the above, have the VR run through all the basic crystalline shapes that can easily be produced and launched, and test their reaction.  If one has better midair detonation properties than a sphere, replace all below instances of "sphere" with that shape.

3.Next, I want to test the actual effects of different sizes of spherical shards.  I want to test the rough kill radius of the below spheres when they detonate:

4.A sphere equal in volume to nine Testament shards (18 per Testament magazine, due to extra shards being used to airburst)

5.A sphere equal in volume to nineteen Testament shards (9 per Testament magazine, due to extra shards being used to airburst)

6.A sphere equal in volume to twenty nine Testament shards (6 per Testament magazine, due to extra shards being used to airburst)

7.(If you didn't give me the effective radius of effective killing for the above three questions, please do so.  I want answers like "Two meters" "three feet")

((Yes, this would have problems which I will have to fix.  I have ideas, but I wanted to check if the basic idea is sound before I launch into detailed design of the attachment.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #860 on: December 16, 2014, 04:39:52 am »

>Incoming transmission
>Priority:Gamma Red: EYES ONLY.
>Attention: Hephaestus project heads, the next shipment of materials will include additional personnel as well as special specimens. Project lead Anton is hereby ordered to work as liaison and to help in the perpetration of any necessary facilities. He along with these personnel and the new specimens shall be part of a new project, under the code name MOROS. Secrecy and ease of action are paramount in this venture. As such, actions undertaken by Project Lead Anton in relation to this project are to be considered of equal importance, and immunity from scrutiny and consequence, as my own. Fear not, you will be kept up to date on the generalities of the project, but for the sake of security, the exact details must remain at least partially obfuscated.

If you have any questions, please send a message with the subject line MOROS via the usual channels.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #861 on: December 16, 2014, 12:55:04 pm »

Revival of the Testament Underbarrel Shard Grenade launcher.  Basically, I want to make a grenade launcher attachment for the Testament LSW, which uses the Testament's ammo to form the grenades.

1.First, I want to test what happens when a sphere made from the crystal material gets shot by a Testament shard midair.  Does it detonate normally?  Create a directed blast?  Split into segments before detonating, ruining it's lethality?  If a shard can effectively airburst a sphere, test that below, but otherwise test a sphere shot into a hard wall.

2.As an aside to the above, have the VR run through all the basic crystalline shapes that can easily be produced and launched, and test their reaction.  If one has better midair detonation properties than a sphere, replace all below instances of "sphere" with that shape.

3.Next, I want to test the actual effects of different sizes of spherical shards.  I want to test the rough kill radius of the below spheres when they detonate:

4.A sphere equal in volume to nine Testament shards (18 per Testament magazine, due to extra shards being used to airburst)

5.A sphere equal in volume to nineteen Testament shards (9 per Testament magazine, due to extra shards being used to airburst)

6.A sphere equal in volume to twenty nine Testament shards (6 per Testament magazine, due to extra shards being used to airburst)

7.(If you didn't give me the effective radius of effective killing for the above three questions, please do so.  I want answers like "Two meters" "three feet")

((Yes, this would have problems which I will have to fix.  I have ideas, but I wanted to check if the basic idea is sound before I launch into detailed design of the attachment.))
Eh, lets ignore that and do this quickly; we can determine amounts of fluid used later.

In looking at this, the biggest problem is gonna be forming these things. You're essentially gonna end up with two rifles taped together, since the launcher part will be of equal size to the regular rifle. The easiest way to do this, the one that requires the least effort and is the most compact, would essentially involve hollow grenade rounds made of thin metal, this round would then be injected with the fluid, electrified to harden it, and then fired. This would mean the thing needs both the rifle ammo and its own shells, but doing it like that would basically mean the thing would already be done; it would just be a gauss grenade launcher like Simus' with a few extra parts.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: December 23, 2014, 02:20:37 am »

pw, would you terribly mind if I put our various crews to work? Just so that something would keep being done.

If not:
-set 1 construction team to produce a stevebot assembly line
-set 1 construction team to building a new fleshpit
-set 1 science team to researching the glowworm gun
-set 1 science team to researching the various artifacts created by Gratesplosion. The mustard gas of melting and such

((If any of the actual Hep eggheads (Hepheads?) wants to use any of these for something, they can overrule this. It's really just to keep them busy (since wait times are measured in days, not turns).))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: December 24, 2014, 09:33:29 am »

pw, would you terribly mind if I put our various crews to work? Just so that something would keep being done.

If not:
-set 1 science team to researching the various artifacts created by Gratesplosion. The mustard gas of melting and such

((If any of the actual Hep eggheads (Hepheads?) wants to use any of these for something, they can overrule this. It's really just to keep them busy (since wait times are measured in days, not turns).))

Put that team on building the Compactor ship we prefabbed components for - such that it has space for the manipulator when it arrives (if we don't already have it).

Actually, with automanipulators on this scale, is making it so that the ship can accept any manipulator of the same size as the compactor possible (and be able to swap it out after it's done) possible, or does this need to be specialized. Also, what else could a manipulator on that scale do?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 09:58:19 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #864 on: January 02, 2015, 02:38:59 pm »

Shipyard is done by the way. The orbital one.

If not:

Lets see
New fleshpit will take 2 weeks
Whats the glowworm gun again?
Can do. Might take a while.

If not:

Put that team on building the Compactor ship we prefabbed components for - such that it has space for the manipulator when it arrives (if we don't already have it).

Actually, with automanipulators on this scale, is making it so that the ship can accept any manipulator of the same size as the compactor possible (and be able to swap it out after it's done) possible, or does this need to be specialized. Also, what else could a manipulator on that scale do?

They'll start assembling it.

As per that automanip, the ship should be able to accommodate anything as long as it physically has room. Automanips aren't terribly resource intensive once they're made; especially if not being used in combat. As per other manips on this scale...well this one is designed to take physical matter and crush it into a singularity. Think about the amount of energy involved in that and then start applying it to other things, and you'll get an idea.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: January 02, 2015, 03:03:02 pm »

Whats the glowworm gun again?
Can do. Might take a while.

Glowworm gun is the thing that ate Kisame's arm on the cultist mission, the thing that syvarris was experimenting with a little while ago, and is now safely locked in a secure room.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: January 02, 2015, 06:08:33 pm »

Because I can't let it go:

1.Why would the crystal grenade launcher need hollow shells to form the rounds?  At worst, couldn't you form the rounds in a sealable chamber, then move them into the barrel/open the chamber into the barrel and then fire?

2.Why does the launcher part need to be as large as a rifle?  It wouldn't need a long barrel, because it doesn't necessarily have to be very accurate, and it shouldn't need a large/strong magnetic repulsion unit, because it's launched at such a low velocity.  Further, to my knowledge, the Testament is fairly small, but just has a massive magazine.  'Taping' a small barrel and magnet on it shouldn't be too much of an issue.  Especially if it can be designed so that it uses the Testament's normal magnetic propulsion.

3.Since you compared it to the Brisant (Pyro's grenade launcher), I'll state the differences.  This is an attachment, whereas the Brisant is a standalone device.  It should be much lighter, cheaper, less accurate, and weaker in general.  The purpose of this device is to meet at least two of the following requirements: Be cheaper than the Brisant, Use cheaper rounds due to PSL fluid's remarkable price, and Be capable of airbursting.  The first and last are probably mutually exclusive, and which one I would go for would originally have depended on what your answers to the questions in my previous post were.

Different, more interesting weapon:

5.Bring up the file for the MYTHRIL PENETRATOR!  If you don't remember, that's the vibrating mythril rapier that some guy designed to poke through Battlesuits with.  Specifically, I want just the tip of the thing, exact length TBD.

6.Use VR magic to accelerate that tiny mythril needle to high speeds, while imparting a spin, and fire it into the front of a Battlesuit.  Increase the length/velocity of the needle until it penetrates into the cockpit, or I realize that this isn't a workable idea.

7.Once I have that, get a crystalline projector, and fire it at the very rear of the needle just before the needle is launched.  If the crystal fails to grow inside the cockpit once the needle has penetrated, try firing slightly later, or adjusting the size of the needle.  Is it possible for the needle to penetrate, carrying the crystal, then allowing the crystal to grow, eviscerating the inside of the cockpit?

For the Council, and fellow tinkerers, to explain the above: I want to make a CON weapon that is capable of defeating a battlesuit.  There's only really two types of weapons that can do this effectively: Shoulder fired weapons, like an automanip launcher or ludicrous explosive launcher, or the Piezoelectric Shard Launcher.  The former cost eight or nine tokens, the latter thirteen.  The former get one shot per six to eight tokens, the latter gets 7.5 to the token.  The former are good at doing anything that requires a big boom, the latter is good at destroying anything that can be damaged by a big hole.

Basically, if you use CON, need to kill a battlesuit, and are price-minded, you're never ever gonna buy anything aside from the PSL.

My device would hopefully be an alternative, and something to bridge the massive gap.  It would be basically useless against anything that isn't a battlesuit, due to overpenetration, and it would probably cost a token per round, at least.  However, it would hopefully be a good bit cheaper than a PSL.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: January 03, 2015, 03:30:59 am »

((I think the problem with a CON weapon that can cheaply defeat battlesuits is that we'll start seeing a lot more battlesuits that need to be defeated. Well, a "problem". :P

I had a rather different idea in mind for a CON weapon of a similar purpose, but I guess I need to get back into this game to really get it to work.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #868 on: January 03, 2015, 05:09:32 am »

>Whenever anyone has a moment, I have a few things that need official approval before being shipped out.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: January 03, 2015, 12:11:48 pm »

What needs approval, Aresteve?

Can we get ETCs for what's being worked on by crews and reports from finished projects? We've not had reports from science crews since what, Radio's nonspecific armor research? I know several artifacts have been researched but you've not given us reports.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 84