Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 84

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 188480 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus Techland: Let the testing commence.
« Reply #180 on: June 07, 2014, 09:49:29 pm »

((GWG, before you ask, all cameras surrounding the area were taken offline with the power junction.  It is utterly impossible to get a view inside without sending something.

Pyro, I think GWG's saying that if we review the footage the cameras got directly before being destroyed, we could get info about what destroyed them.  If no cameras got any footage, then that means the power was probably destroyed first, in which case we know the damage was targeted and intentional.

Additionally, GWG has a point about the connection.  The cameras were probably transmitting through a cable or something.  Remote radio signals could be blocked by all the metal and stone down there.

...Holy crap, I, of all people, am attempting to defuse a GWG argument.  What's next, GWG admitting he's wrong about something?))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 07, 2014, 10:19:30 pm »

Additionally, GWG has a point about the connection.  The cameras were probably transmitting through a cable or something.  Remote radio signals could be blocked by all the metal and stone down there.

((That was also my point, actually. It doesn't matter that communications work inside underground facilities - the facilities themselves are likely inaccessible, and the only way to get down there is from the surface, through the network of tunnels the fleshworm had dug for itself. My cellphone tends to die out on the first basement floor of our shopping center because of all the concrete. Military radio is more powerful, but even penetrating radiation can't skip through concrete indefinitely. And I got the impression that the damaged area, is way, way down there.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 07, 2014, 11:16:06 pm »

((That was also my point, actually. It doesn't matter that communications work inside underground facilities - the facilities themselves are likely inaccessible, and the only way to get down there is from the surface, through the network of tunnels the fleshworm had dug for itself. My cellphone tends to die out on the first basement floor of our shopping centre because of all the concrete. Military radio is more powerful, but even penetrating radiation can't skip through concrete indefinitely. And I got the impression that the damaged area, is way, way down there.))

((If we go with this, then any kind of drone makes zero sense - you'd lose contact basically immediately. You'd have to give them an entire AI suite (like a low-grade Stevebot) if you wanted any semblance of usefulness. Or a drone with a QEC system, which is known to be bulky, but not entirely impossible. I was actually planning on taking, first the scout eyes, then whatever kind of drone or whatever we come up with, close to the area in question personally, probably asking Saint to come with me. This is assuming the facilities are accessable, which they should be - how else do we get resources out and bots in already (keep in mind, Aresteve has said the normal repair bots can't fix it - and repair bots themselves would need to be supplied and occasionally replaced). I think the facilities are accessible, probably in a similar fashion to the mines in the infested colony we went through on a mission - airlock-sealed (probably multiple times, as you go deeper, from pressure issues) from the normal facilities because it's not exactly all that liveable down there. This is assuming that, while communications are wired throughout the complex, there are not also wireless points relayed through - at least in the normally accessible areas. For normally inaccessible areas, we might just have to set up a wireless point routed through the wired communications if it did not already exist (it might - that would allow for simplified layouts that would be easier to lay as the deep facilities get deeper, you simply lay cabled communications with wireless relays along them, and let cameras and such connect through them. As well, the presence of repair bots makes that more likely - unless you think they're constantly tethered to a wired network?).))
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 11:23:03 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 07, 2014, 11:50:27 pm »

((Repair bots work from within the structure, which likely has relay points. I was planning to use relays as well, but each relay increases lag and you always run the risk of suddenly going out of range - which is where the drone OS kicks in and allows the unit to maintain itself while you use other units to extend your range.

I'm going on the worst-case assumption that the facility can't be realistically accessed from within. If raw materials and supplies can be shunted between here and there, it doesn't mean that there is any people-accommodating access. It also makes sense for remote, sealed off facilities to have their own assembly lines for maintenance drones. So unless you want to take a ride on a screw conveyor or whatever equivalent Hephaestus uses for vertical transport of materials, I suspect we're going to have to tackle the problem from the outside. Which means Remote-Sod Relay Spelunking.))

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 08, 2014, 01:04:23 am »

((You know, what you're saying would make perfect sense... if it were the mining systems themselves where the issue is. As far as I know, that's not the case - the issue lies in the areas where the mining systems have already excavated - which, as far as I would think, are pretty much a large network of relatively spacious tunnels (perhaps not even that - depending on how the mining operations work, it could look like a relatively developed facility - although with concrete or whatever walls/supports/what-have-you) with systems like power, communications, and transport going through them.

Of course, you know the only way to find out which of us is correct (if either of us are correct) is to ask the GM, yes?))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 08, 2014, 01:35:14 am »

((You know, what you're saying would make perfect sense... if it were the mining systems themselves where the issue is. As far as I know, that's not the case - the issue lies in the areas where the mining systems have already excavated - which, as far as I would think, are pretty much a large network of relatively spacious tunnels (perhaps not even that - depending on how the mining operations work, it could look like a relatively developed facility - although with concrete or whatever walls/supports/what-have-you) with systems like power, communications, and transport going through them.

Of course, you know the only way to find out which of us is correct (if either of us are correct) is to ask the GM, yes?))
((Yep. I already asked Aresteve whether the damaged area is accessible from within the facility, and Simus is about to scout out the area with drones, so I'd say we're all set to find out. ^_^))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 08, 2014, 09:51:04 am »

((You're acting like they were destroyed a long time ago. They are being destroyed now. Or being taken offline - I believe there was mention of a power junction being destroyed or damaged. Either way, the result is the same - and no, there wouldn't be record, since it's happening in the present.))
((Hm. My mistake on the first part.
But yes, there should still be records of them being destroyed, because you have to destroy them before they stop sending information, yes?))

I think it's fair to say that none of us really understands what's going on. piecewise, could you give a detailed description of what we know of the issue with Aresteve's answer to Sean?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 08, 2014, 09:53:13 am »

((You're acting like they were destroyed a long time ago. They are being destroyed now. Or being taken offline - I believe there was mention of a power junction being destroyed or damaged. Either way, the result is the same - and no, there wouldn't be record, since it's happening in the present.))
((Hm. My mistake on the first part.
But yes, there should still be records of them being destroyed, because you have to destroy them before they stop sending information, yes?))

I think it's fair to say that none of us really understands what's going on. piecewise, could you give a detailed description of what we know of the issue with Aresteve's answer to Sean?
((Sean's gone off with the Sword. Aresteve will be answering Anton. ;)

Also, Action post edited with a question, repeated here. Will we be able to do abstracted long-term research? As in, specific goals but nonspecific means? For instance, if I were to try and develop a new kind of high-strength synthetic myomer, to replace synthflesh for use in large bipedal mecha (i.e. a piloted equivalent of the Avatar, kinda like a Gundam), would I be able to do so? Since there isn't really any real-world science to base it on, can I just build a lab and say I try to do it, and just treknobabble the working principles later?))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 08, 2014, 09:55:29 am »

((Oh, you know what I meant. I just couldn't remember Anton's name.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 08, 2014, 11:55:42 am »

((For instance, if I were to try and develop a new kind of high-strength synthetic myomer, to replace synthflesh for use in large bipedal mecha (i.e. a piloted equivalent of the Avatar, kinda like a Gundam), would I be able to do so? Since there isn't really any real-world science to base it on, can I just build a lab and say I try to do it, and just treknobabble the working principles later?))
((I understand that this is just an example, but it is a terrible idea.  Synthflesh is the best material you could ask for in mecha, because it's magic and flips off square/cube law.  The more synthflesh you have in an organism, the stronger and more magic it gets, to the point that a titan breaks physical laws.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 08, 2014, 12:11:56 pm »

((For instance, if I were to try and develop a new kind of high-strength synthetic myomer, to replace synthflesh for use in large bipedal mecha (i.e. a piloted equivalent of the Avatar, kinda like a Gundam), would I be able to do so? Since there isn't really any real-world science to base it on, can I just build a lab and say I try to do it, and just treknobabble the working principles later?))
((I understand that this is just an example, but it is a terrible idea.  Synthflesh is the best material you could ask for in mecha, because it's magic and flips off square/cube law.  The more synthflesh you have in an organism, the stronger and more magic it gets, to the point that a titan breaks physical laws.))
((And has a mind of its own that grows with size and is incredibly unstable, and incredibly expensive to the point where healing the damage is better than replacing damaged parts. Anton prefers simple machines to exotic parabiological exudate of slightly eldritch origin.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 08, 2014, 12:41:18 pm »

And has a mind of its own that grows with size and is incredibly unstable,

Not really.  With the proper inhibitors, it's pretty dang stable.  Miyamoto has control over his body, and his is pretty powerful.   After all, he UWM has had centuries to refine and perfect those systems.

and incredibly expensive to the point where healing the damage is better than replacing damaged parts.

It is an organism.  Think about what you just said- is healing a human arm easier than growing a whole new arm, and attaching that one?

Beyond that, it's way harder to damage in the first place.  You can shoot an avatar with a 20mm anti-tank rifle, and the round will bounce off or barely penetrate.  A normal synth body will have a hole blown in it.  A titan wouldn't even have a mark on it.

Lastly, Synthflesh is highly expensive, sure.  What makes you think a myomer many times stronger than titanium is going to be cheap?

Anton prefers simple machines to exotic parabiological exudate of slightly eldritch origin.

And yet, exotic parabiological... exudate, is our biggest advantage over the UWM.  Actually, no, stuff that is more volatile and dangerous, and less well understood, is our biggest advantage.

Beyond all that, mecha, if you go by simple real-world physics, is hilariously impractical, cost-inefficient, and overall useless.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 08, 2014, 01:13:07 pm »

And has a mind of its own that grows with size and is incredibly unstable,

Not really.  With the proper inhibitors, it's pretty dang stable.  Miyamoto has control over his body, and his is pretty powerful.   After all, he UWM has had centuries to refine and perfect those systems.
((And should something fail, what will happen? Also, the UWM was mostly lounging on its laurels for all these centuries. They already had Avatars during the Altered Wars, did they not?))

It is an organism.  Think about what you just said- is healing a human arm easier than growing a whole new arm, and attaching that one?
((I think about half the current roster of the ARM provides a decent answer to that question. Why wait days for biological regeneration when a synthoid replacement can be grafted on in minutes? Machines are harder to service, but easier to repair.))

Beyond that, it's way harder to damage in the first place.  You can shoot an avatar with a 20mm anti-tank rifle, and the round will bounce off or barely penetrate.  A normal synth body will have a hole blown in it.  A titan wouldn't even have a mark on it.
((For the record, the Avatar is covered head to toe in armor, and has a flexible armor cloak on top of that. A synthflesh body would be a better example, and 20mm anti-tank is about on par with the gauss rifles we have in the Armory.

The idea is the same with the mech - have it armored so that it can tank near anything, but if it does get damaged its repair is a matter of replacing the lost limb and recycling the leftovers for the production of a new one.))

Lastly, Synthflesh is highly expensive, sure.  What makes you think a myomer many times stronger than titanium is going to be cheap?
((Because, presumably, it won't have to be grown, and will use conventional resources in its creation.))

And yet, exotic parabiological... exudate, is our biggest advantage over the UWM.  Actually, no, stuff that is more volatile and dangerous, and less well understood, is our biggest advantage.
((No. ARM's biggest advantage is the element of surprise, and the willingness and drive to develop and acquire new technologies and immediately put them to use in the fight. Things we can't understand and control don't have much chance of being put into mass production, and we won't win this war on super prototypes alone.))

Beyond all that, mecha, if you go by simple real-world physics, is hilariously impractical, cost-inefficient, and overall useless.
((I empathically disagree on that point, on the grounds that suitable technologies have not yet been created in the real-world. Energy-efficient and highly durable myomers would make mecha viable battlefield units, being one of the few technologies that can not directly apply to any form of combat vehicle but an articulated biomorphic machine, unless you propose a return of the catapult.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 08, 2014, 02:35:26 pm »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 08, 2014, 02:43:46 pm »

No time to join the discussion in earnest unfortunately, so I'm just goin to leave this link to a statue of a life-size Gundam. Because people tend to forget how dang big those are.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/yahooeditorspicks/galleries/72157629672277244/

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 84