Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 84

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 188140 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus Techland: Big Brother is Watching
« Reply #1020 on: March 06, 2015, 11:30:37 am »

Still better than a jetpack that can't get beyond visual range at all.

I mean really, what's wrong with the jump rockets?  You can go from ground to orbit to ground to orbit to ground without running out of fuel.

If it's that important to have a piloted flying craft, why not build a proper aircraft, anyway?  I'm sure you could make a pretty nifty helicopter.

Uhhhh

The MK III rockets will, if you thrust continuously at the right angle, get you to space. If you think they'd get to orbit (11kms-1 for earth-like planet) and then deorbit AND make a powered landing, I'd like a source.

I believe on mission 15, the Ju-Jitsu Doc burned about half his fuel just to rocket himself up above the stratosphere at top speed, so even with a more calculated ascent, orbit is not for you. Going up is easy. Going sideways is where you need a spaceship.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: March 07, 2015, 07:04:34 am »

Quote from: Message from Miya
-Priority message-
-To: all Hephaestus personnel-
-Authorization code: 'Dezarkudep_1425327331'-

It has come to my attention that recently there has been an incident on the Paracelsus' Sword while I was away on mission. while I'll spare you the details right now, one of the things that happened was that some newbie named 'Dan', and I'll be quoting my primary source here, 'went full fleshhorror on us'. And while I'm not yet 100% certain, it seems fairly probable that the person in question was none other than Xan, who as you might know made a deal with the Doctor in order to gain fleshwarping powers. And if I'm not mistaken, he made a copy of himself and put it in the freezer on Hephaustus.

Now, from the reports I've read it seems that the first iteration of this Xan individual also went berserk and started mutating and expanding rapidly when he was on the mission to explore an ancient site on the pole of the previous planet we visited. This led to the death of at least 3 ARM troopers and Steve having to sterilize the site via kinetic orbital bombardment. This also means that, whatever was hidden beneath the ice there, was lost forever thanks to that.

Once his clone was defrosted after the incident, he apparently made another clone and sent one to the Sword again, with one still being on Hep as far as I know. The clone on the Sword again became unstable during an unrelated event, and in the end the Doc himself had to deal with him. After inquiry, he told me that "The original made duplicates. Imperfect ones. Degeneration through successive copies. Caution recommended. Becoming unstable."

Now, I might just be paranoid here, but it seems to me that once the Doc himself advises caution, it's time for us to seriously reconsider how we proceed on this case. So, I'm issuing an order that no matter what happens, nobody may defrost Xan without explicit permission from me or Steve. After you guys had to deal with the aftermath of the Urban Executioner's overload, I don't think any of you are anxious for another one of those.

Secondly, I'd like you to send the clone over to the Sword, and ensure he stays frozen the entire trip, and won't automatically defrost once he gets here. It is imperative he is not capable of creating another clone of himself here or on Hep, before we've assessed what to do with him. I'm not sure whether his instability is stemming from the powers the Doc poisoned him with, or if he was this mentally unstable all along, but I'm not taking any chances. In the same vein, I'd strongly advise you to devise a test to detect traces of his being and to scan the entirety of the current Hep personnel and command staff, in case he hid a part of him in somebody or some place. If possible, send along the means for such a test to the Sword as well ASAP.

I'll be awaiting your response until you have had the time to discuss the matter among yourselves.

Was signed,

Miyamoto De Bergerac

((For the record, I'd like for us to handle this case as IC'ly as possible. So, if people could perhaps wait with opinions and comments and such until the case is handled, so as make deciding in character easier for the various (Hep) players, that'd be great.))
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 07:08:06 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: March 10, 2015, 08:37:22 am »

Quote from: MSanctor to: Simulacrus Ferratum-Inanis
Dear Simus,
I thank you deeply for your kind offer. It would not be a mistake to say that I am very, very interested in that position. That said, I believe that you deserve to know that I have currently to attend a small event of my own, planned and prepared long beforehand. I believe that I am in a very rare position of opportunity to get great help provided to the Movement; there is, however, a considerable chance of my death - final death. I believe that I must take this risk, for the sake of us all and the ARM.
Yet. For the sake of everyone I could save by working on Hephaestus. For the sake of the Movement. For your sake - I promise to try and come alive out of it. But if not... please, remember me with a kind word - for I am determined to die doing the right thing.
Sincerely yours,
Dr. M.Sanctor

P.S. I'll contact you in a few days of Sword subjective time if I live.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: March 10, 2015, 11:45:06 am »

Quote from: Brother Lars to Charles
Brother Charles,

I have a request from General Miyamoto that I feel your talents would be of great assistance with.  Do you have some time to discuss?

Faithfully,
Brother Lars

(Repost from on-ship thread; don;t know if Empiricist checks it)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: March 11, 2015, 05:43:19 am »

((I do, I just don't check as often as I used to due to my weird university timetable messing with my sleeping patterns.))
Quote from: Charles to Brother Lars
Yes, I happen to have plenty of time at the moment and would be honored to assist with whatever matter this correspondence is about.

Sincerely,
C. Leroux
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: March 11, 2015, 08:07:22 am »

Excellent.  General Miyamoto says our prior propaganda work is well suited to converting the masses.  Now, however, we need something more suited toward the elites of planets.  We may need to do some research into what these elites are looking for and how we can best get our message to them.  I believe you had been studying background information, so, Steve willing, I hoped you could assist.

I am requesting a list of ideal planets from the General.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: March 11, 2015, 10:52:58 am »

Quote from: From Steve Saint to Miyamoto De Bergerac, CC'd to Fellow Hephaestus workers
First, confirmation: Yes, Xan has left a clone here, which is currently frozen in a very secure location.  I was present when it was awoken last, and watched the creation of the current clone.  I agree that Xan presents a great risk if awoken, especially now that I'm aware of the circumstances of his deaths.

Second, questions.  Why do you want us to send Xan to the Sword?  While I wouldn't be unhappy to get rid of it, I think it would be far more dangerous to keep it over there, and even destroying it would be simpler here.  Unless you intend to have the Doctor or Armory Master do something, I see no benefit to sending the clone over.  If there is any danger to keeping it on Hephaestus, it would be trivial for us to build an insulated containment facility on some asteroid.

This is compounded by your second request, for a detection device of some kind; While I'm not sure if we'd be able to build such a thing at all, it would likely be much easier to create if we had Xan itself available.

Lastly, I must ask: How important is the detection device?  Do you have any reason to suspect that Xan has left traces, or is it simple caution?

((Nik, if you want to be part of the RP, consider yourself one of the hephaestians CC'd.  We can just say that this stuff was handled after he got here, and handle the introductions later.  Fluid time and whatnot.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: March 12, 2015, 04:15:56 pm »

Quote from: From Steve Saint to Miyamoto De Bergerac, CC'd to Fellow Hephaestus workers
First, confirmation: Yes, Xan has left a clone here, which is currently frozen in a very secure location.  I was present when it was awoken last, and watched the creation of the current clone.  I agree that Xan presents a great risk if awoken, especially now that I'm aware of the circumstances of his deaths.

Second, questions.  Why do you want us to send Xan to the Sword?  While I wouldn't be unhappy to get rid of it, I think it would be far more dangerous to keep it over there, and even destroying it would be simpler here.  Unless you intend to have the Doctor or Armory Master do something, I see no benefit to sending the clone over.  If there is any danger to keeping it on Hephaestus, it would be trivial for us to build an insulated containment facility on some asteroid.

This is compounded by your second request, for a detection device of some kind; While I'm not sure if we'd be able to build such a thing at all, it would likely be much easier to create if we had Xan itself available.

Lastly, I must ask: How important is the detection device?  Do you have any reason to suspect that Xan has left traces, or is it simple caution?

((Nik, if you want to be part of the RP, consider yourself one of the hephaestians CC'd.  We can just say that this stuff was handled after he got here, and handle the introductions later.  Fluid time and whatnot.))

Response? Response!

I wanted him here because I am not fully certain yet what to do with him. There's a few options, and there's a chance it won't be solely up to me to decide his fate. However, what I do know is that I don't want him to leave a clone, or a trace, anywhere if I can help it. I think a great deal of his recklessness may stem from a feeling of immortality by proxy of clones existing. But yes, there is a chance I'll need the doc's or the AM's assistance, so that's another reason.

As for the detection device, you still have quite some time before the next shipment leaves, so some dedicated R&D should be able to finish on time. And you can always ask the Doc, his creator, for help. If all else fails, I might allow you to take a very small tissue sample from it.

And the detection device is not of 'vital' importance, in the way that us Sword people have more safeguards that would help dealing with an outbreak of sorts, while you guys are much more vulnerable in that sense. So it'd be in your best interest really. But yes, I do suspect that an entity so concerned with it's own continued existence would try to surreptitiously plant its seeds wherever it could. It's what I would do, if I were him.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: March 12, 2015, 09:03:26 pm »

((I'm head of expansion, right?))

Quote from: From HoE Steve Saint to Gen. Miyamoto De Bergerac & Heph Heads
I am still.... uncertain why you want us to send Xan to the Sword.  You say that there's several options, but you haven't said what they are;  Is it too dangerous to let us know about them? 

From what you've told me, I don't see any benefit to sending Xan to the Sword, aside from the Doctor, who is a... unreliable variable.  As I mentioned before, we can build a remotely operated facility on an asteroid to contain Xan, and be in no real danger--even if it managed to escape, it's highly unlikely that it would be able to travel and do any damage before being entirely destroyed.  Bringing it aboard the Sword, however, will put everyone there in danger if it escapes containment.  While I do agree that the people aboard the Sword make it easier for you to solve an outbreak, it is much easier for us to prevent one.

As for the detection device, I think you misunderstood my question.  Yes, I think an intelligent entity trying so hard to avoid death would leave seeds and traces intentionally.  However, as we both know, Xan was an insane idiot.  I want to know if you have any concrete reason to suspect such things, aside from the fact that it's a possible risk.  We'll work on the detector regardless, but if it's likely that there's seeds, then it is of maximum priority, as opposed to merely high priority.

Additionally, we don't actually have that long before the next shipment is sent.  The transport needs to be sent early, because we try to have it arrive before the Sword.  Jump lag is variable, so if the transport jumps at the same time as the Sword, it could very well arrive months late, after the Sword has come and gone.   ((I was under the impression that Heph would unfreeze at the same time the next mission bundle started, so we can't actually research anything before the shipment goes out.  If I'm wrong, ignore this bit and tell me, please.))

Finally, this statement greatly troubles me: "I think a great deal of his recklessness may stem from a feeling of immortality by proxy of clones existing."  This implies that you intend to allow Xan into a situation where it retaining recklessness means something.  While I of course can't prevent you from doing anything, I ask you to seriously consider what possible benefit this could bring.  Xan has proven itself to be dangerous multiple times in the past, and has only been getting more dangerous; Not only is it becoming more unstable, it's apparently becoming more subtle as well.  A previous incarnation might not have spread seeds, but there's no proof that a future incarnation won't.

((Ugh, I kept typing 'he' or 'him', but Saint doesn't think of Xan as a person.  Does Saint's writing style strike anyone as off?  Or even different from mine?  I'm honestly not sure whether it is, but it feels like it to me.  It's supposed to sound... formal?  Pretentious?  Something like that.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: March 13, 2015, 06:32:44 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

((Dunno, check Pyro's post. I'm not entirely sure it's official yet, and it's not on the wiki yet as far as I know.

Not too dangerous, but I'd like to keep them to myself for the time being.

Consider it like this: if we destroy him, we can do that both here and on Hep. There is some danger in the transport, but I'm sure you guys can take the necessary precautions. Line his stasis pod with nukes if you have to. However, if we let him live (perhaps in some altered form), we'll need to bring him to the Sword either way, unless you still think he could prove useful (for the record, I think between the Doc and our new allies, we'll have all the biotech support we'll need).

I don't have specific suspicion he has planted anything, but it'd be folly not to doublecheck. Oh, and are you acquainted with the concept of obfuscating stupidity?

((I thought we could just work with fluid time and say that you'd get that detection device sent along with the rest. Plus it seems PW might change the way Hep projects work, so I dunno.))

And believe me, I'm all too aware of his growing position as a liability more than an asset. But as I said, it might not be entirely in my hands, depending on how it goes. Sorry for the vagueness, but it's the best I can do right now.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: March 13, 2015, 04:21:01 pm »

((Apologies for the delay, I'm a bit busy at the moment between society activities and assignments. I'll assume Lars forwarded Miyamoto's message.))
Start with identifying those planets where the political leadership, the target of these messages, could even remotely be swayed. Because I kinda doubt our chances of converting a magister lounging on Earth-3. Then, you can adapt your content to the target audience where success is most likely. After that, once you see what works and what doesn't, you can use what you learned to try and crack harder targets, so to speak.
Understood. If I recall correctly, worlds that are further away from the core are easier to sway as it is harder for the UWM to respond to any occurrences in them. I suppose we'll be making personalized messages to their leaders? They don't have to defect immediately, so we can get information and the UWM won't send a taskforce their way.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: March 13, 2015, 10:03:09 pm »

I would assume.  Perhaps lay the groundwork for missions like the Q'baja delegation.  If they are even interested, it would be worth it, for an enemy considering joining you is less dangerous.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: March 23, 2015, 03:40:53 am »

So start off small and try not to force a decision? Sounds good, probably easier that way all things considered. Do you have any particular target planet in mind? Or do we need to find a suitable 'testbed' first?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: March 23, 2015, 12:16:37 pm »

I do not have a list yet.  The Most Glorious Steve is telling us of new missions now, though, so I will request a blessing of information from him when he is not busy.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: March 26, 2015, 12:42:27 pm »

Quote from: MSanctor to: Simulacrus Ferratum-Inanis
Dear Simus,
I live, and I am coming to Hephaestus. I work for the Doctor once again and am coming with him, so I do not know how long I will stay nor whether my new duties will interfere with the job you offered me. But as long as I can, I am happy to offer my service to you as well.
But even if I cannot, I am happy just knowing I will see you again soon.
Yours,
Dr. M.Sanctor
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 84