Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58

Author Topic: Vanigo's Empire Game- Turn 72; Game over man  (Read 47612 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Vanigo's Empire Game- Turn 71
« Reply #840 on: August 06, 2014, 08:05:06 pm »

I made an arena for testing stuff.

You should check it out.

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=drJsF44q
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: August 07, 2014, 05:13:32 am »

As much as I'd like to take it to the bitter end, I'm happy if you want to call it quits there. I've had an incredible journey from top dog to underdog all the back to top dog again. At my lowest point, Boyd City and Verdantia both had enemy armies in them and I would have been out of the fight, but I diplomated my way out and used the cease-fire to build up my strength.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: August 07, 2014, 01:03:51 pm »

I do still need your turn though if we are going to continue.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: August 07, 2014, 01:12:08 pm »

Yep, just working on it

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: August 07, 2014, 01:31:41 pm »

Hold the phone, how did Istania get the Earth tile when they don't have any consecutive territory?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: August 07, 2014, 02:39:20 pm »

Spoiler: Turn 71 (click to show/hide)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: August 07, 2014, 04:26:50 pm »

Hold the phone, how did Istania get the Earth tile when they don't have any consecutive territory?
You can claim tiles if you have a boat adjacent to them.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: August 07, 2014, 04:30:03 pm »

Ah, I thought you had to have your boat be adjacent to one of your own tiles.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: August 07, 2014, 04:34:58 pm »

Turn 72
Spoiler: Turn 71 results (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Battle Details (click to show/hide)
-----
Admin interface
Player interface

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Vanigo's Empire Game- Turn 72
« Reply #849 on: August 07, 2014, 05:32:04 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: August 07, 2014, 05:48:15 pm »

As much as I'd like to take it to the bitter end, I'm happy if you want to call it quits there. I've had an incredible journey from top dog to underdog all the back to top dog again. At my lowest point, Boyd City and Verdantia both had enemy armies in them and I would have been out of the fight, but I diplomated my way out and used the cease-fire to build up my strength.

Naw, I think I'm good. The amount of time and effort it's taking me to plan this kinda stuff out isn't worth it at this point; I'd rather start a new game, or just focus on other things.

I cede victory to NQT.

Though I will note, however, that had I been in from the very beginning, this could well have gone very differently(damn starting position. >.>). Ah well. Fact of the matter is, NQT understood the game better from the outset, using tricks even to turn 70 and the like with those sacrificial horsemen(seriously that needs to be changed somehow because I get that it's supposed to be a rearguard action but if I can kill them with a single shot or whatever it's just dumb that they manage to stop armies 20 times their size), access to better mana(I would argue that Water>Other Mages, with the huge boost to magic defense, but...), understanding how to effectively steamroll and how to take advantage of his enemies, etc. In the next game, though? You'll have to be ten times as crafty if you hope to win, NQT. Strategy games are what I do.

All that said, do you plan on running another game, Lemon? Please? Maybe an assymetrical map, where navies are more important, with the way we figured out how to make this work? I would say distribute resources unevenly while ensuring everyone still has at least some of each, but it doesn't really end up working that way, in these games. You have to go through stages of advancement and resource-assimilation; first is food, second is wood, then stone and iron, then more stone and wood as you become self-sufficient within your cities, then more advanced materials like reagents, mana, horses, mithril, etc., and finally just the wars with your neighbors.

I almost thought this game might turn into a 1984 scenario where we ended up with Na Draoithe, Istania, and Greenland, the only object of contention the mithral at the map's core and the mana at the edges. Both surrounded by water....
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: August 07, 2014, 05:59:09 pm »

I cede victory to NQT.
I accept your ceding.

using tricks even to turn 70 and the like with those sacrificial horsemen(seriously that needs to be changed somehow because I get that it's supposed to be a rearguard action but if I can kill them with a single shot or whatever it's just dumb that they manage to stop armies 20 times their size),
It's a trick that all player can use though. I think understanding and utilising differing movement speeds adds an additional tactical layer to the game.

access to better mana(I would argue that Water>Other Mages, with the huge boost to magic defense, but...),
Somewhat true, though i took longer than everyone else to gain my mana.

You'll have to be ten times as crafty if you hope to win, NQT. Strategy games are what I do.
Challenge accepted!

in these games. You have to go through stages of advancement and resource-assimilation; first is food, second is wood, then stone and iron, then more stone and wood as you become self-sufficient within your cities, then more advanced materials like reagents, mana, horses, mithril, etc., and finally just the wars with your neighbors.
See, here I disagree. I didn't bother with wood at the start of the game, going straight for stone and iron so I could build axemen to conquer my slow neighbours. If I just sat there and resource-accumulated before waging war, I'd have lost the game to you or Kashykk who were better at building rich farm lands.

I'd be up for an asymmetric map next time, perhaps with lots of narrow oceans to encourage barge use.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: August 07, 2014, 06:07:19 pm »

It's a trick that everyone can use, but not everyone was aware of it, and it's both pretty cheap and I would actually think it detracts from some of that tactical layer; instead of having to worry whether or not you could take the city, you could just offer up a weak old unit as a sacrifice. But I think it's just the way I prefer to play; I like to out-snowball my opponents and go for a direct approach, and I'm rather good at snowballing.

No, I mean you need wood in order to build things like Libraries. If someone gets a Bowyer up and running before you can get your axemen to them, they can outstrip you easily in terms of army production, since Longbowmen need half as much iron as axemen yet are at least as effective.

I'd rather a more continental style approach, so that we actually see some bloody naval combat. Not just straits, though straits can be fun because they make for interesting scenarios; barges and the like turn into boat bridges, which is even more awesome because that's a thing in real life. Only for rivers, typically.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: August 07, 2014, 06:23:54 pm »

I'd rather a more continental style approach, so that we actually see some bloody naval combat. Not just straits, though straits can be fun because they make for interesting scenarios; barges and the like turn into boat bridges, which is even more awesome because that's a thing in real life. Only for rivers, typically.

I can build up a map if you want that.  Someone else will need to run the game, though.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 06:32:07 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: August 08, 2014, 12:17:23 pm »

I enjoyed this game, kinda sad that I got out strategy'd though. I'd be up for another game, I don't mind playing it or running it, although if I ran it I'd like to make the map myself.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58