Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 55

Author Topic: Roll to Become a Hero - Christmas Event, First Challenge: Siege!  (Read 85922 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Become a Hero - Turn 28: Investigations
« Reply #405 on: September 15, 2014, 08:15:25 pm »

"Hm. Divine runes... fading? That doesn't add up. Either they should be completely broken or... the person who inscribed them has fallen out of favor. Something may have happened to the caster, but this is a tomb. Something is most certainly wrong here, we need to head inside."

Search through Wild Magic book for possible information regarding the Goddess of the Woods. If nothing can be found, a new spell will do as well. Head inside near the back of the group if they open and enter.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 15, 2014, 08:21:37 pm »

REMEMBER HARDER!

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 15, 2014, 08:42:35 pm »

Read the plaque. Try to read in detail, for any more information about Alerd, Vandis, or Balkman. Or maybe hidden info about the tomb or something.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 17, 2014, 06:25:21 pm »

Look around for any additional entrances or anything notable at all, really.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roll to Become a Hero - Turn 29: Tale of the Hero Alerd
« Reply #409 on: October 04, 2014, 05:10:49 pm »

Chronus
You begin reading through the book once more in the hopes that it might contain information on the Goddess of the Woods, or at the very least another spell that might be of use to you. However by the time you finish reading you find that the book does not mention this Goddess at all, in fact it doesn't seem that any god is connected to Wild Magic as far as the author could tell. As for a spell if there was another one hidden within the book you couldn't find it in your reading though from your dealings with Memnok's book it could likely be hidden within codes throughout the books and its diagrams.

David
You stare at the symbols in frustration for a few minutes before a realization hits you, the Goddess of the Woods was the only goddess that the Eldast rebels shared with the old regime when they rebelled to create the Kingdom of Eldast. Unfortunately after they managed to gain freedom her sect slowly began to fall out of favor, and lessen in number until worship of her basically ended with the fall of her last champion, the Demigod Archer Knight Alerd. This would explain the fading of the seal on the doors, but you suspect the Goddess wouldn't entirely abandon the tomb of her greatest champion even if she was weakening with the fall of her sect ...

Trevor Abbot
You decide to go in search of other entrances to the tomb while the others spend their time examining this one, with that in mind you take a stroll around the hill while keeping an eye out for even the slightest differences. You find no hidden secondary entrances or anything of the sort, but you do find Jase stooped over a plague that appears to talk of Albert, the hero who is entombed in this very hill.

Look at Jase's turn for the exact details of what is on the plague.

Aeryn Vutran
Turning your eyes from the door to the frame you find the seal's pattern continues on the frame as well in fact it would appear that the door frame's pattern is far more complex, and more a series of layered patterns instead of a single pattern. Sadly this simply proves the complexity, and power of the seal before you, but holds nothing of use to your party ...

Jase Bladeheart
Here lies the Tomb of the great hero Alerd, champion of the Goddess of the Woods, liberator of the Red Wastes, and Martyr of the Battle of Harigan's Pass where he and his seven companions were slain as they fought to protect the Kingdom of Eldast. Born a peasant farmer's son Alerd took up the bow the day most of his village was slain in the early days of the Eldast Rebellion in an attempt to keep the former Kingdom in power, seeking revenge he took his father's bow and set out to join the rebel forces, a task that he never truly accomplished. Alerd was interrupted during his journey to swear fealty to the All-Father's mortal song, King Elidan, running into a force of the Old Kingdom's troops Alerd's rage consumed him and the hero struck out. In the end he managed to slay all of them, but the battle had taken its toll on his body and he began to slip away only to be saved by the Priestess of the Woods Vandis and the Fallen Knight Balkman.

Alerd's actions, and Vandis' unending prayers to Goddess of the Woods to save his life drew the Goddess' attention and so she struck a deal with the dying Alerd, become her champion, die upholding her glory, and she would grant him the power he needed. The power to achieve the desire for revenge that ran deep within him, and that many among his party said tormented him till the day of his death. After that day Alerd became the Champion of the Goddess of the Woods, in return she placed some of her own blood within his body, and imbued the bow that he wielded with her divine wrath so that he may smite her enemies.

The three years that followed that day were filled with battles as Alerd began to wage a fierce war against the Old Kingdom as he strove to free the Red Wastes, as his exploits spread and his deeds grew in number brave people from the Wastes flocked to him. With this the Brotherhood of the Forest was born, a group of warriors devoted to the Goddess of the Woods, and their leader but even these events were not the reasons for his title of hero. The title of Hero was granted to Alerd after his death for his valiant and outstanding actions in the Battle of Harigan's Pass.

The Old Kingdom desperate to survive laid one last plan to win the war, it gathered its forces together to create an army of over one hundred thousand men and marched for Harigan's Pass while Elidan's main armies were tied up with a distraction war in the south leaving the land they'd freed virtually unprotected. Hearing this Alerd gathered the Brotherhood of the Forest, a group numbering barely one thousand in number, and set out to hold back the Old Kingdom's assault as riders drove south to warn Elidan. Knowing that the Brotherhood would need time to fortify the entrance of Harigan's Pass if they were to have any hope of holding the Old Kingdom's troops back long enough for Elidan to arrive Alerd marched into the pass with his seven companions to the face the Old Kingdom's army alone, many of those who were working to fortify the Pass witnessed the last stand of Alerd and his companions.

For three days Alerd and his companions fought against the enemy alone in the open pass, the first to fall was the Hedge Knight Martin who charged head first into the heart of the army to draw attention from his wounded companions. Next was the thief known as Garth who took a dozen arrows in order to save Alerd's life, after him came the warrior Jarik who was pierced ten times by the lances of charging knights and yet fought on to the bitter end. The fourth to die was Elis, a fire mage who died as she shielded the party from the onslaught of the Old Kingdom's mages, and then the fifth was the Priestess Varis herself who was cut down as she saved the Fallen Knight's life. Then Balkman himself fell, his body riddled with arrows and covered in blood from hundreds of cuts, and yet he had raised a hill of corpses beneath his feet before being swiftly followed by the Priest of War Hemlin who was struck down as he attempted to protect the Fallen Knight's corpse.

Finally Alerd was alone, his companions lay dead before him and yet he faced down the Old Kingdom's army all the same, with god-like speed and accuracy he let loose a hail off arrows. When the arrows ran out he screamed in rage, a yell that even those Alerd had left behind could hear, and charge into the midst of the army with a bow in one hand and a dagger in the other. He was like a force of nature that tore through the front ranks, when his bow shattered he released it without so much as a hint of hesitation, and when his dagger shattered as well he laid into his foes with fists and teeth. By the time the Old Kingdom's forces finally stopped him the Pass was littered with corpses, and even as Alerd knelt skewered on twelve lances he let out one last act of defiance as he broke the shafts and tore the throat out of the commander who had come to gloat about finally ending him.

Mere hours after Alerd's death King Elidan arrived, and drove back the forces of the Old Kingdom. When his eyes fell upon Alerd's body he picked it up, and with tears flowing from his eyes carried the fallen hero back to the entrance where he declared that from this day forth Alerd would be considered the first of Eldast's heroes, he would be remembered as the brave Martyr of Harigan's Pass. In Elidan's own words Alerd was a god among mortal beings, an existence that all should pay respects to for he fought on beyond the point that anyone else would have died to secure freedom for his people, and vengeance for the cruelties the Old Kingdom had perpetrated. To honor Alerd Elidan ordered this tomb constructed for him and his companions to be buried within, and personally carried the Hero's body to its resting place here.

All hail Elidan, and forever shall the Martyr be remembered.

Spoiler: Chronus, Dermonster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lucy Verim, Lyeos (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aeryn Vutran, Sinvara (click to show/hide)

----

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 04, 2014, 05:16:20 pm »

"Whoever wrote that plaque did not have a great grasp of the language. Hey, see if one of you can't just knock this damn thing down."

Combine Oil container and rag to make Molotolv cocktail.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 04, 2014, 05:18:28 pm »

"Whoever wrote that plaque did not have a great grasp of the language. Hey, see if one of you can't just knock this damn thing down."

A bolt of lightning hits Chronus and deals 9999 damage.

:| I try dammit. I do really need to find someone to help me with editing though, because I appear to not be very good at it :\
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 05:32:16 pm by adwarf »

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Become a Hero - Turn 29: Tale of the Hero Alerd
« Reply #412 on: October 04, 2014, 05:18:46 pm »

Waitlist me, please, when time comes I'll make a sheet.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 04, 2014, 05:28:59 pm »

Go back to the others. Maybe offer a prayer to the Goddess of the Woods on the way to allow us entrance, just to see if anything happens.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 05, 2014, 05:35:39 pm »

Give the general area around the plaque a quick examination for anything notable. Since I don't really have anything better to do.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 06, 2014, 06:52:28 am »

"Um guys. This may be a bit more dangerous than expected... Or less. I'm not sure how hard we expected this to be."
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 06:57:30 am by The Froggy Ninja »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 23, 2014, 10:55:20 pm »

I'm sorry for the absence of updates, but I started taking a break from the forums and stuff to try and relax for a bit, and power through some writer's block I had. Recently some personal stuff has been happening so I won't be updating this for a week or two while that gets dealt with, and when I manage to get the drive back for actually writing. Sorry in advance about the short hiatus, and thanks to all of you who've been playing this since its been a lot of fun for me to run.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 06, 2014, 08:26:36 pm »

((It's cool. I also recently took a break from the forums.))

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roll to Become a Hero - Turn 29.1: Tale of the Hero Alerd
« Reply #418 on: November 07, 2014, 08:48:00 pm »

Chronus
While the others mess around near the entrance to the tomb you decide to take the time to experiment, and attempt to create a firebomb from the oil skin and one of your rags which you lightly coat in oil from the skin before jamming half of the rag into the container. Satisfied with your handiwork you tie a string around it and hang it off your belt for when you have need of it, all you'll need to do is light the rag, and then send your makeshift firebomb flying.

Lost Oil Container, and Rag. Gained Improvised Firebomb.

Trevor Abbot
You search around the plaque for anything else worthy of note, and find nothing.

Jase Bladeheart
As you make your way to the entrance you offer a prayer to the Goddess of the Woods, but after waiting a few moments you feel nothing change and assume your prayers have gone unanswered.

Aeryn Vutran
Aside from the root that has shattered part of the door frame you find no cracks, or other signs of damage from outside of the tomb though you expect you could only really get a handle on the damage time has had on the tomb from inside the thing where you can hopefully find the supports.

Spoiler: Chronus, Dermonster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lucy Verim, Lyeos (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aeryn Vutran, Sinvara (click to show/hide)

----

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 07, 2014, 08:51:43 pm »

Gah, updates are so far apart I forgot what all I've found out so far.

Can someone just bum rush the damn door? Get a tree trunk or something.

Beirus, you have a shield, get on it.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 55