Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 55

Author Topic: Roll to Become a Hero - Christmas Event, First Challenge: Siege!  (Read 85906 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roll to Become a Hero - Turn 23: A Book of Lore!
« Reply #330 on: June 27, 2014, 06:31:57 pm »

Chronus
As soon as the fighting ends you turn away from your allies, and head over to the dead Axeman's corpse to liberate it of the curved axe and strip the furs off of him to use as your own armor. It'll be effective, but man do the things smell ... Once you've done that you find a suitable location and start writing out some more on your essay on human weaknesses.

Gained Curved Handaxe, and Northern Furs.

Jase Bladeheart
With Chornus already looting a corpse you decide to join in, and head over to Valmar's corpse to grab that bearded great-axe and the two throwing axes he has on him for use later. After you finish grabbing the weapons you head further into the keep searching for any loot, or chests the bandits might have stowed away in the back, of course what you find on the first floor surprises you quite a bit as you're met by a room filled with crude structures built out of freshly chopped wood and roughly forged nails hold dozens of casks of alcohol. All the walls are covered in barrels except the section of exposed stairways leading up.

Gained Bearded Great-axe, and 2 Throwing Axes.

Clair Gemini
You give the ingredients to Lucy before walking over to a particularly clean section of the table, and brushing aside a few dishes before placing the book you found on the table in front of you. The cover is worn, and faded and the pages yellowed with age as you open it up to the first page to delve into any secrets it has within.

... The fire's were spreading like wildfire through the small village contained within Castle Galden's outer walls, militiamen and knights could be seen in the courtyard, and on the walls far below where they fought side by side against the undead that seemed to pour in from every side. The main gates were nothing more than smoking chunks of wood on twisted hinges, and the perpetrator of this massacre could be seen strolling through those same gates, the Necromancer Galdath the Grey Death himself. My master, and the lord of Castle Galden, Knight Baron Jarich ordered me to go to the gallery above the tower's shrine and told me to record all that I see so here I am with my master kneeling before a plain low pedestal dominated by a stone statue of the God of War with a golden, leather bound book at its feet.

I watched as the battle stretched on in the courtyard below, the soldiers fought to their last breath against the foul monstrosities of the Necromancer but even their valiant efforts could do naught but stem the tide for a short while. The time passed slowly after the courtyard fell silent, a few sparse minutes felt like hours as I waited for him to come up the tower, to challenge my Master and certainly slay him for no matter how much the people regaled Jarich as a hero his time was coming to an end. The God of War demanded a high price for the power he bestowed, and the valiant Knight had paid it willingly in order to save the lives of all he could, even as the doors blew open jarich remained kneeling deep in prayer with his hands on his sword hilt.

The Necromancer closed on him, whether it was vanity and a desire to torment his defeated foe, or thinking that Jarich had given up living to willingly die the Necromancer stayed his hand, and close to enjoy his moment. The grin on his face quickly turned to surprise as Jarich spun around faster than humanly possible, his sword a blur in his hands as it began a deadly dance only being held back by patches of shadow that appeared to stop the blades. The Necromancer had sacrificed his one advantage by closing, and as he was forced back the twisted abomination slipped up allowing the Knight Baron to get his sword in past his guard and into Galdath's chest.

Of course the blow did not come without a price, as the Knight's sword impaled the necromancer, the necromancer's shadow spears pierced Jarich a dozen times over. Dying the Knight Baron gasped out his last words,

'While I may die here to day Galdath, so shall your victory turn to ashes in your mouth, to the God of War I give my blade and my soul to trap you here on this world, but not whole as you might wish. With this sword I severe your wretched soul into three shards, one shall rest with the First King who was the chosen champion of the God of War, one shall rest under the watch of the moon deep within a forest that will push away those who come seeking for it, and the third ... the third shall remain here with me. Doomed to stay trapped within my body, and trapped within the tomb of my city, this is the last request I make of you the All-Father and the God of War ...'

With that a ripple of pure shadow exploded from Galdath alongside a piercing scream as a purple orb flew up to the top of the room before shattering into three pieces, the first of which flew off to the west at high speeds followed by the second heading to the east, and the which found its way to the Knight Baron's body. With tears in my eyes I obeyed the last order my Master had given me, to ensure that those soul shards remain untouched until one can come forth to destroy them, and I turned and stepped through a red rimmed portal. Within seconds I was on the far side of the lake already on my way to the First King's tomb, I had much to do ...

Lucy Verim
You take the ingredients from Clair, and stow them away in whatever it is exactly that manages to hold all the loot and gear you've come into possession of recently. When that's done you decide to go looking for food, which isn't hard considering that the tables in front of you are laden with a feast, probably in honor of the most recent caravan or merchant the bandits had managed to rob before you put a stop to the lot of them. Of course its not like the food is worth much, you could certainly eat it though.

David
You set about walking around the outside of the fort with your book in one hand, and your quill in the other as your draw a map of the fort's layout and some basic information regarding the current conditions of the location as well. By the time you're done with writing that down you begin to think about what you can once its done, assuming you can find a willing engineer, workers, and the money for it the report may well allow for the restoration of the fort and perhaps further structures that might be plausible to develop the fort as a whole.

Trevor Abbot
You spend a few minutes before heading further in with Jase, what you find on the first floor of the tower surprises you quite a bit as you're met by a room filled with crude structures built out of freshly chopped wood and roughly forged nails hold dozens of casks of alcohol. All the walls are covered in barrels except the section of exposed stairways leading up.

+3 Iron Tipped Arrows

Spoiler: Chronus, Dermonster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lucy Verim, Lyeos (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Clair Gemini, scapheap (click to show/hide)

-----

Spoiler: Bandit Greatswordsman (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bandit Swordsman (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Valmar Redfang (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bandit Axeman (click to show/hide)

----

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Become a Hero - Turn 23: A Book of Lore!
« Reply #331 on: June 27, 2014, 06:35:10 pm »

Actually, go retrieve my bolts, then grab a bite to eat, yes!
Take a closer look at this text!

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 27, 2014, 06:58:25 pm »

((Ooh, now I want to find that shrine to see if I can be chosen by the God of War. Like a War Paladin.))

"Hey, I found alcohok. Maybe we can take some of these casks back and sell them. Or we could give some to the tavern owner as thanks for all those free meals."

See if there is anything hidden behind the casks. If not, or if it looks like the casks might fall, go check out the next floor.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 27, 2014, 06:59:19 pm »

Go gather up the rest of the lootable items into any sort of carryable container I can find. Then go study my book somewhere quiet.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 27, 2014, 07:29:23 pm »

Continue mapping and assessing.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roll to Become a Hero - Turn 24: One Report to Build the Fort
« Reply #335 on: June 29, 2014, 04:35:56 pm »

Chronus
You spend a few minutes gathering all of the gear off the dead bandits into a pair of old wooden crates that were off to the side of the hall. When that's done you make sure no one is looking, and make your way up to the top of the outer wall's tower to learn more from the Necromancy Guide you'd found back in the clearing. You read through a dozen more pages of the book, but in the end its all just very obvious statements about the inner workings of magic or theories on why Necromancy works for those who take the time to learn it.

Jase Bladeheart
You spend a few minutes checking behind the casks as best you can with them weighing far in excess of what you could possibly move, from your examinations it would appear that everything behind the casks is solid wall. With that done you follow after Trevor and head up to the second and third floors, both of which appear to be rooms filled with barrels of a myriad of types of ale, wine, and liquor stolen from traders along with stores of food just the same as the first. Ignoring those you head up past the fourth floor which appears to be nothing more than a barracks with cots, beds, and pallets strewn all about the room as if the bandits had once numbered far more than the ones you killed.

On the fifth floor you're met by a large bechamber with a single large canopy bed and several chests scattered around the room, it is likely the bedchamber of the Redfang.

Lucy Verim
You retrieve the bolts and set about devouring some of the leftover food completely ignoring the carnage around you.

+2 Heavy Bolts

David
You further your report by assessing the conditions of the outer walls, and listing weaknesses, and potential faults in the foundations which go a long way towards fully completing your work. You get the feeling that its roughly halfway done, a little more work and it'll be ready for use though what benefits it will have is still uncertain that's to be sure ...

Trevor Abbot
You head up the stairway past several more floors of ale barrels, and food to the top where you encounter the Redfang's bedchamber filled with chests and a single massive bed. With a slight smirk you set about searching all the chests to determine their contents ...

Quote from: Chest Contents
43 Gold
Large Ruby Gem
Small Sapphire Gem
Star Pendant [The star is shaped from a foggy white crystal.]

-----

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 05:33:13 pm by adwarf »

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 29, 2014, 04:47:53 pm »

MOAR OBSERVATION!

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 29, 2014, 04:53:34 pm »

Well! Time to start arranging these bodies in humorous positions, namely sitting them on seats as though they were eating and fell asleep, dropping their heads on the plates. Then, I suppose it's best to get ready to leave with the others.
Take a closer look at this text!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 29, 2014, 04:57:31 pm »

Who's up for making this our future base of operations?

Study those pages a little further. Such obvious musings have no place in such a dark book, there must be deeper meaning.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 29, 2014, 05:18:30 pm »

Yeah, future base.

Go check the chests as well. Grab the ruby. Leave the pendant to Trevor if he wants it, hold on to it if he doesnt.

((I want to use the gem to have a Catalyst weapon forged if I can.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 29, 2014, 05:35:03 pm »

That's why I'm taking notes.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Become a Hero - Turn 24: One Report to Build the Fort
« Reply #341 on: June 29, 2014, 06:09:40 pm »

Take a closer look at the pendant and check for any discernible magickiness.

(And yeah, using this as a base could be nice.)
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 04, 2014, 03:51:51 pm »

"Interesting..."
Pass time, my coworkers seem to have looting in hand
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roll to Become a Hero - Turn 25: Possible Base Secured
« Reply #343 on: July 07, 2014, 05:32:17 pm »

Chronus
You contine to read the book, and attempt to decipher some meaning from this Memnok's earlier musings, but you quickly realize Memnok was quite serious on those parts. His theories all revolve around a singular point, some time in history this Goddess of Death committed what many might take to be a great sin as she sacrificed her very soul in a ritual that connected the human world and the realm of the for eternity. Towards the end of these theories you finally find something of use scribbled across a dozen pages you find the method for summoning spirits of the dead, in fact Memnok references it numerous times as he used it to question the dead to try and find out how his powers worked.

On the very last page you read before you find your attentiveness lapse Memnok seems to stress that summoning spirits is a very risky process, many are tormented souls who would rather harm those who summon than aid them. He also mentions something of rumors of a way to bind spirits to pacts but he has yet to find it at this point in the book if he ever did.

Jase Bladeheart
You give the chests a once over before deciding on taking the ruby for yourself leaving the pendant only if Trevor doesn't wish to take it.

Large Ruby gained.

David
You manage to finish up your report with another two hours of examinations of the Fort's layout and structure, at the end of which you've managed to collect what should be a complete and mostly accurate recreation of how the fort once was along with a few ideas for expansions upon what the fort once was.

Trevor Abbot
You spend a good twenty minutes examining the pendant, but after all that time you have nothing, perhaps the item is magic or perhaps it isn't, but frankly you can't even begin to imagine where to start testing it for such magical properties.

-----

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 05:46:52 pm by adwarf »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 07, 2014, 05:37:44 pm »

Go on up/downstairs and try to heal Trevor. Attempt to make an essay on healing methods.

(Can you note in my inventory what the things I make can do please? It's rather annoying that I can't tell what in specific a bandage does at a glace. Also I don't have my new spell in my spell list.)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 05:40:11 pm by Dermonster »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 55