Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 55

Author Topic: Roll to Become a Hero - Christmas Event, First Challenge: Siege!  (Read 85862 times)

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Become a Hero - Turn 9: First Quest Finished, Shopping Time!
« Reply #195 on: May 23, 2014, 11:29:28 am »

"Well, Dave, the Mayor's library may something on it."
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 23, 2014, 11:45:09 am »

"Thank you. I must be off. I hope to see you soon Clair."[/glow]
To the Library!     

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 23, 2014, 02:58:40 pm »

Attempt to see if I can't change the spells color to blue, gold or white. A necromantic spell surely wouldn't be recognized if it was a 'heroic' color. Make sure I don't leave any traces of experimentation, and to not hit any plants or rats or anything.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roll to Become a Hero - Turn 9.4
« Reply #198 on: May 25, 2014, 05:32:03 pm »

Lucy Verim
You scour the rather small library looking for more books on herbalism, but in the end come up with nothing as the library seems to be completely devoid of such books. Shrugging you decide to look for books about the local area which you also fail to find, perhaps the Mayor kept such books in his private study, but you do manage to find a rather old looking map on the back wall that shows this area of the kingdom.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

David
Thanking Clair you make your way to the town library, but as you try to enter a guard stops you and shakes his head before speaking up,

"Only adventurers, or sell-swords who've completed at least one request for aid in the Kingdom are allowed within, come back when you've served our nation and its people well."

Chronus
Looking around to ensure no one is around you close the book, and place your staff in front of you as you repeat the words to the withering blast spell though as you cast you will the spell's visible color to change. When you finish, and launch the light forward though instead of the red described in the book its a pale white that reminds you quite a bit of blank paper, the orb disperses against the wall in front of you much to your joy.

Jase Bladeheart
"A bout sounds like a much better way to train than just stabbing at my shadow. Might I ask your name? Mine is Jase."

The woman smiles as you agree to spar, and draws the blade from her back which turns out to be a sword almost five feet in length of a pale grey steel that gleams as it catches the sunlight, the edge is razor sharp except for a small notch about a foot up from that handle that forms a blunt circle large enough to fit most spear shafts. Gripping the sword's hilt with two hands she turns sideways, levels it at your head, and replies,

'I go by a number of names, for now you can call me Shay. Now enough talk, let's see the freshly blooded adventurer's skills, or perhaps you'd prefer to forfeit already?"

Before you can even respond to her words she's already in your guard, you knock the blade aside with your shield and bring the shaft of your spear swinging in but the woman drops to the ground sending you stumbling off to the side with the momentum. Spinning around you jerk your shield up to block the blow you know is coming but your reaction is a few short seconds to late as halfway through raising your shield the flat side of the blade smacks your ribs sending a slight jolt of pain up your side.

With a slight growl you smash outward with your shield forcing her to block the blow with her blade or risk a few broken ribs as you stab upward with your spear stopping just short of her throat. With a grin on your face you start to say something only to notice the feel of cold steel against your throat looking down you find the smaller of the blades at her hip against your throat, your shield had been stopped by the longer sword which she'd shoved point first into the ground. Somewhat astounded you lower your spear which prompts her to sheath the blade and pull the longer one from the ground to clean the dirt off of it, as she does so she looks up at you with a grin.

'Most people are stumped by that same move more often than not, tricking someone into thinking that the visible weapon is occupied lets you slip a hidden one in before your opponent can notice. At least that's part of how my Master at Arms taught me to fight, if you're going to fight stack all the advantages you can in your favor, you'll never know when you might need them. Any who I must take my leave Jase, perhaps we'll see each other again.'

With a slight smile the woman slides the sword into it's sheath and walks off towards the street beyond.

1 More Update before a new Quest must be chosen!

Quote from: Delmar's Smithy
Iron Longsword [Atk: 4, Atk. Speed: 2, Melee, Two-Hander Cost: 40 Gold]
Light Dirk [Atk: 3, Atk. Speed: 1, Melee, Throwing Weapon, Cost: 20 Gold]
Iron Shortsword [Atk: 3, Atk. Speed: 2, Melee, Cost: 30 Gold]

Oaken Round Shield [Block Chance: 20%, Cost: 15 Gold]

Chainmail Vest [Armor: 1, Cost: 25 Gold]

Iron-Tipped Arrows [Atk: 3, Cost: 5 Gold]
Small Game Arrow [Atk: 2, Cost: 3 Gold]

Quote from: Three Herb Apothecary
Weak Health Poultice [Heals 4 HP, Cost: 10 Gold]
Spider's Bane Herb [Cures Poison, Cost: 8 Gold]
Herbal Bandages [Cures Intense Bleeding, Cost: 10 Gold]
Rough Bandages [Cures Minor Bleeding, Cost: 5 Gold]

Mortar & Pestle [Allows the making of Potions and Poultices, Cost: 20 Gold]
Bag of Ingredients [Used to make potions, Cost: 5 Gold per Bag]
Beginner's Guide to Herbalism [Used to learn potion recipes, Cost: 15 Gold]

Quote from: Samus' General Goods
Torch [When lit provides light for ten turns, Cost: 5 Gold]
Basic Lockpicking Kit [Provides no bonuses but allows for picking of locks, Cost: 15 Gold]
Length of Rope [Allows the process of not falling to your death, Cost: 10 Gold]
Blank Book [Contains 20 Blank Pages, Cost: 15 Gold]
Scribing Tools [+1 bonus to stuff like recording observations, writing scrolls, etc., Cost: 15 Gold]
Flint & Steel [Allow lighting of fires, Cost: 5 Gold]
Skin of Oil [A wineskin filled with oil, Cost: 5 Gold]
Rag [Can be tied to things, Cost: 2 Gold]
Whetstone [Used to sharpen weapons, Cost: 10]

Spoiler: Chronus, Dermonster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lucy Verim, Lyeos (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Clair Gemini, scapheap (click to show/hide)

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 25, 2014, 05:34:42 pm »

Go get food, check on Jase, perhaps take a quick nap?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 05:40:14 pm by Lyeos »
Take a closer look at this text!

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 25, 2014, 05:38:29 pm »

I go tho the apothecary and buy The Beginner's Guide to Herbalism. I then begin to catalog the local flora and fauna useful in potion making.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 25, 2014, 05:40:03 pm »

I go tho the apothecary and buy The Beginner's Guide to Herbalism. I then begin to catalog the local flora and fauna useful in potion making.
You have no gold.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 25, 2014, 06:00:19 pm »

Go back to the tavern/inn, get some food if the bartender will allow it even though I have no gold. Check the quest board for new quests. Wait for the others to come back so we can pick a new quest.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 08:03:34 pm by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 25, 2014, 06:02:15 pm »

In that case I squawk like an imbecile and shit on my desk.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 25, 2014, 07:50:32 pm »

Head on over to the mayoral library and see if I can't find something about basic 'normal' magic that I can use as a cover for my necromantic spells. Who's to say if a flash of white light is a magic missile or a Necrotic blast? Ask around about available tasks as well, maybe if I get to them first I can get the pick.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roll to Become a Hero - Turn 10: Quest 2!
« Reply #205 on: May 25, 2014, 10:56:39 pm »

Chronus
Once you arrive at the library you comb the bookshelves for books on other forms of magic, and after several minutes of searching you find a small book further to the back called A Reference to the Numerous Varieties of Magic which seems to be a basic guide describing all the schools of magic as the Kingdom sees fit to show them. Shrugging you put it back, and make a mental note of where the book is so you can come back to look at it next time.

With that done you head out into town, and ask around for any tasks that might be available, the only work that you find is that the blacksmith requests any old weapons and armor you find while the herbalist any rare herbs, or plants. The rest of the people tell you to check the request board since that's where all the major work is posted for adventurers to deal with.

Missions/Quests Available

Bandit Troubles - Recently a group of bandits has taken up home in the decrepit remains of a fort made to safeguard the highway leading to the capital, they've been using this position to terrorize caravans and travelers on the road. The mayor and numerous caravan guards are requesting you go silence the bandits to make the road safe again.
   Reward: 60 Gold Per Character, 4 XP for Quest Completion

Greenskin Extermination - For a few years now a tribe of goblins has taken residence in a nearby cave system where they've harassed the village and the outlying farms killing numerous people, countless animals, and burning dozens of harvests worth of crops. The people of the village have had enough and are offering a large reward to the group that can clear out the infestation and bring back proof of some sort that they are truly dead.
   Reward: 50 Gold Per Character, 4 XP for Quest Completion

Trolls of Greyskull Pass - Greyskull Pass, named due to the rather large cave near by the pass, is a major artery between Breton and the town of Martermill to the south which gets a lot of its food from Breton and the northern farming hamlets which send their food through the pass. Recently however caravans carrying the food south were attacked by a band of trolls which has taken up residence in the mountains nearby raiding hamlets and caravans for food, and treasure. The Lord of Martermill offers a large prize to any group which can rid the Pass of the trolls.
   Reward: 80 Gold Per Charater, 5 XP for Quest Completion

Alerd's Tomb - Alerd's Tomb is a small area of catacombs built into the mountains west of Breton where the knight hero Alerd was buried centuries ago, upon his entombment there with his seven companions the last of their band sealed the tomb with powerful magic. Rumor has it that the seal on the door has weakened, and that perhaps now those brave enough could enter and claim Alerd and his seven companions gear for themselves.
   Reward: 6 XP for Quest Completion

Spoiler: Chronus, Dermonster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lucy Verim, Lyeos (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Clair Gemini, scapheap (click to show/hide)

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 25, 2014, 10:58:07 pm »

Alerd's tomb! Grave robbing is the best type of adventuring.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Become a Hero - Turn 10: Quest 2!
« Reply #207 on: May 25, 2014, 10:59:27 pm »

Voting for bandit troubles, actually, on the off chance that we get to attempt some diplomacy and gain meatshields NPC companions?

Plus, no more undead, please... Not yet.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 25, 2014, 11:01:32 pm »

What's wrong with undead D:

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 25, 2014, 11:02:55 pm »

What's wrong with undead D:
I'm feelin' that we're not exactly well-equipped for magic enemies yet. 'Specially considering that necromancer. Plus bigger (XP) reward likely equals bigger danger, and only two people leveled up, sooooo...
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 55