Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 62

Author Topic: Bizarre Magical Items  (Read 85068 times)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: Silly/Useless Magical Items
« Reply #225 on: September 15, 2017, 02:10:30 pm »

Ring of Knowledge: Contains a vast assortment of ancient memories. The first time it is equipped each day, the user gains all contained knowledge for 5 minutes. When the effect ends, the user forgets the entire past 5 minutes, and a randomly-chosen assortment of memories and memory fragments are taken from them to add to the stockpile. Due to the nature of acquisition, almost everything contained is useless trivia, no longer relevant, missing context to the point that only the person who lost that memory in the first place can extract any benefit, or simply incorrect.
Eh?
Eh!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 15, 2017, 03:06:19 pm »

The intangible artifact:

This object might as well be a semi-real manifestation of magic itself. Depending on the person "looking" at it, it can appear to be anything, but always appears to be the same thing to that person. (EG, they always see it as whatever they see it as.) The object radiates magic with unbelievable intensity, but essentially does nothing else.

As stated, the object is intangible. It has no real physical substance, and can only be seen, and "felt" (in terms of its magical aura.)

It has been hypothesized that it appears as an item the person viewing it greatly desires, but this is not entirely true. Rather, if there are any rules governing the appearance observed by somebody, only one seems to hold: It always appears as something "familiar" to the observer. (EG, it could be a pocket watch to somebody on earth, or an unusual eating utensil to somebody from another planet.) The object is always just laying around, and seems to migrate from "person to person" without rhyme or reason, as if it has a mind of its own, but the people it chooses to be seen by are always people that physically interact with each other in some way. One day, it will be there, sitting on your bed, and you will be unable to move it, touch it, or affect it in any way, but it will be there, in your place of residence, and there is nothing you can do about it. (It might not appear on your bed, it might appear in your refrigerator, or in your fish tank-- the location, and the form you perceive it as, are quite random.)

For those it has affected, it often becomes the focus for crude jokes about the inappropriateness of the perceived item, and where it is placed, (Sometimes it is perceived as a NSFW type item, for instance) or even arguments about what it actually "is." (as it appears as different objects to different people, and more than one person can "see" it at once.)

When attempts to photograph it happen, the photographs themselves take on similar mysterious properties, but are likewise "useless". (EG, a person taking the photograph of "the object", will always see the resulting photograph as being one of the object, but when shown to another random person, that person will see the object as something completely different. Such photographs do not exhibit magical auras, suggesting that this is not illusion magic, but is actually the result of the photograph accurately depicting the object.)

There is no way to tell which person exposed to the object will become its new "owner".

Attempting divination, such as "Identify item", results in the caster appearing to "zone out" for several seconds, with their mouth agape, but otherwise fails, as if the object is not real.

Attempts to psychically contact the item results in zero contact, as if the object does not exist, or has never been in contact with a mind at all. (this includes attempting to derive its psychohistory.)

The magical aura of the object cannot be used in any tangible way, but it does seem to attract magically enabled, intelligent, and curious minded people to itself like a siren song.

People affected by the object are not harmed by it in any way, excepting for being ridiculed or teased by people they know for "always leaving that thing laying around", due to its often "inappropriate"  (thematically, situationally, decorum, or otherwise) appearance.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 15, 2017, 04:47:52 pm »

Oil of Ultimate Slipperiness: this magical oil is so slippery, it will slide away from anything trying to touch it. Poured on the ground, it will actually be pushed away from underfoot even before any weight is put on the leg; slipping on it is almost impossible. Lubricating a machine is similarly difficult, as it simply won't stick to the parts that need to move smoothly. Burning it is possible, but it is no different from mundane oil in that aspect.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 15, 2017, 05:27:08 pm »

The intangible artifact:
-snip-
This reads more like an SCP entry.

The List of Unanswered Questions: Unorganized list of all questions in the universe that have been asked, but never answered. Answered questions vanish from the list.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 15, 2017, 06:45:41 pm »

Butter Fingers: A candy bar shaped like a hand. When eaten, the eater's hands become extremely slippery and will inevitably drop anything the eater tries to hold.

Mask of the Wolf: A wolf mask. When worn, transforms the wearer into a wolf... completely. As in it changes the brain into a wolf brain as well. Also only transforms the wearer, doesn't transform the wearer's clothes.

Electric Guitar: A super awesome electric guitar that's useless without electric power.

Mask of the Bear: A bear mask. When worn, gives the wearer an obsession with toilet paper.

Pepper Spray: Causes peppers to grow quickly when sprayed on them.

Conductor's Whistle: Summons a train to the user's position. As in, causes a train to fall out of the sky on the user if they don't dodge.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 15, 2017, 08:57:01 pm »

Oil of Ultimate Slipperiness: this magical oil is so slippery, it will slide away from anything trying to touch it. Poured on the ground, it will actually be pushed away from underfoot even before any weight is put on the leg; slipping on it is almost impossible. Lubricating a machine is similarly difficult, as it simply won't stick to the parts that need to move smoothly. Burning it is possible, but it is no different from mundane oil in that aspect.

That's halrious, would it jump away if someone tried to toss a bucket onto it?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 16, 2017, 01:23:16 am »

No, the bucket would simply sink/fall to the bottom immediately, barely even touching the oil. There's simply not enough force involved to cause a splash. Afterwards, if the bucket landed upright and the pool was deep enough, the oil would flow into the bucket due to gravity.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 16, 2017, 02:29:19 am »

Scroll of poly morph potato into potatoe

This scroll contains all the knowledge and magical power to transform any one known about potato, anywhere, into another type of real potatoe.  This effect is permanent and irreversible, although the scroll is consumed when used.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 16, 2017, 02:34:06 am »

Does this scroll also transmute the size of the resulting toe shaped tuber? Also, is the effective kind of "toe" up to the caster to decide? (EG, "I transform this tiny 2 ounce new potato into a 500kg epic elder beast "potatoe", after throwing it at the evil mordak!"-- type scenario.)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 16, 2017, 09:21:23 am »

Hatchet of pain: an ordinary hand ax that cries out in pain when it strikes an object.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 16, 2017, 03:14:28 pm »

Grimoire of Endless Knowledge: Always contains the knowledge you seek, but you forget what you've read as soon as you stop reading, and cannot communicate whilst reading the Grimoire.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 16, 2017, 04:37:36 pm »

Glittering Golden Paint(cursed):  this magical paint really does contain traces of gold and the ability to convert nonliving objects painted on into gold, however it also has an adverse effect on those objects, where in no one used it said objects are actually gold,  this mimetic affect will manifest as people potentially attacking one might sell them such golden items, or peoples teeth becoming unusually brittle when the attempt to bite such item.

If paint is applied to the outside of living creatures or peoples their skin and all of the hair on their body will take on a golden Sheen, and instantly any skin injuries will be healed,  nonetheless for the next five hours. They will see themselves as disgusting and NPC's will act as if they have a terrible plague.

Digesting said paint has unpredictable side effects ranging from the user developing a perfect voice that makes people's ears bleed nonetheless, to their insides actually becoming gold causing that to die a horrible death and their corpse burned and dumped into a deep hole.

The Ovine Pajamas: wearing this for the pajamas, always one size too small for the user one can transform into a sheep, as long as the pyjamas continue to stay attached to them, given the PJ's are designed for a humanoid this causes serve difficulties moving as a sheep  intense to rip them leading to the user too instantly transform back.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 16, 2017, 07:24:38 pm »

Perpetual Flask of Beer: A flask that is bigger on the inside and contains an infinite amount of beer that has no doubt gone bad by now.

Wand of Healing: Shoots a bolt of green light that causes rapid cellular division. Heals wounds and causes cancer.
~~~
Spoiler: ??? (click to show/hide)
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 16, 2017, 08:27:15 pm »

OOC: beer can go bad? I thought it was already a fermented beverage.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 16, 2017, 11:26:42 pm »

OOC: beer can go bad? I thought it was already a fermented beverage.
All consumables except honey go bad iirc.
Why?
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 62