Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20

Author Topic: The Guild of Random Ruin Explorers (Tactical RPG)  (Read 25235 times)

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
Re: The Guild of Random Ruin Explorers (Tactical RPG)
« Reply #210 on: June 01, 2014, 04:26:48 pm »

((Don't see anything in the op against waitlisting with a new character. Or the same one, maybe want to patch that out.))
((I don't want to patch out the players rejoining.))
((I was more focusing on same characters, it laziness on the player's side.))
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 01, 2014, 04:52:46 pm »

1 Explain how our entrance was loud?

2 Explain why our characters sat there for an hour according to the post and didn't even see them coming or hear them?

3 And we were and still are running away. Nirur stated that the only way ALL of us would get away and survive is by running north, and two guys tanking a hit each. Since we all didn't ONLY go STRAIGHT up, we die.

4 And in all honesty? Would you have used the veto power of being called leader? And why wasn't the higher level character given leader status instead?

5 Too many inconsistancies and unfair situations at all.
Since I'm on the wait list, I decided to join in this discussion. Points have been numbered for convenience. Sorry if I sound argumentative.

1 You teleported in and immediately killed 4 people. That would probably make a little bit of noise at least.

2 I agree with this one.

3 DF has taught me that there are many situations where this isn't any way out, you're lucky that there was at least one this time.

4 No, but there's a reason I'm not the leader.

5 There's only been one inconsistency, and why did you expect it to be fair? The funnest games are the unfair ones.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 01, 2014, 04:56:35 pm »

Cado Hell yeah I would abuse my leader veto power, if I had one. Also, judging by the fact that the ground around your arrival was dirt, the fact that the local was dazed probably means it made some noise, along with the sounds of battle and all. And What higher level character? You were all level 1, the only higher level characters were in a different dimension, so how could they tell you what to do?

And I think.. This isnt a game where we're magical heroes. There is no Holy sword that cuts the dark, theres only people who can only take so much damage before they die. Sometimes in situations like these, the best thing we can do is run or die. That's how it is.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 01, 2014, 05:03:57 pm »

>Chauner moves northwards towards escape off-map. He shall tell of the great deeds of the first venturing party, even if he is the only survivor!
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 01, 2014, 05:28:07 pm »

Uh... Such a heated up discussion. All in all, we could have annihilated them. But with a speed drop it was impossible to meet groups one after another. And that leads straight to the point that only one of us could have taken some beating. Which is neither good nor bad, probably we should have included one heavy tank in the party for that purpose.

As for suggested course of action - "run north while using meat-shields!" - well, yes, it was a good decision to make. But I wouldn't outrun the horde anyway and others would only take unnecessary beating trying to protect doomed cause.

This ambush was quite a good lesson... Both about needed preparations and about (realistically) hellish situations we might find ourselves in.

P.S. Specter attacks on the same turn, as you have changed close-combat magic to be used freely with movement.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 01, 2014, 05:36:37 pm »

Battles over. Write-up tomorrow, and if anybody else has a guild action, get them in. Everyone else lived, no further resources expended. Decide if you're going to go somewhere else (battle will be designed for four people) or just scroll home.

You also stated that the only escape was all of us running north while 2 people tank a hit.
No, I said that I only made sure there was at least one way.

I saw three paths to winning here:
1) Everyone run to the nearest map edge, killing the things that die in one hit on the way, and either hoping they all get out before the horde kills one of the slow people, or have the fast melee people take the rear and take hits for the slow people.
2) One person other than the necromancer sacrifices themselves to stay behind, hoping the bottom-tier skeletons focus on them as the closest being, so the rest can get away easily. (I did say that some monsters behave differently. These skeletons do focus on the closest target. Had the battle gone on, Boldbold would have only been hit by two, as the ones in front got in the way.)
3) The necromancer with the suicide-summon stays behind to sacrifice herself as a distraction.

Explain how our entrance was loud?

Explain why our characters sat there for an hour according to the post and didn't even see them coming or hear them?

And we were and still are running away. Nirur stated that the only way ALL of us would get away and survive is by running north, and two guys tanking a hit each. Since we all didn't ONLY go STRAIGHT up, we die.

And in all honesty? Would you have used the veto power of being called leader? And why wasn't the higher level character given leader status instead?
1) What Ochita said, plus you exploded a skeleton from the formation on arrival. (The only bones on the map are just outside the crater, in position to have been part of the formation).

2) Game mechanics. You'll have plenty of chances to start combat near unprepared people who should by all rights have spotted you long before.

3) You had the decided vote, and didn't cast it. I didn't want to lose interest in this, and there had been more than 24 hours without a post. I thought it would be fun to have an "escape" battle instead of everything just being "kill everything."

P.S. Specter attacks on the same turn, as you have changed close-combat magic to be used freely with movement.
The players turn comes next. Marks will be five hexes away, out of both spell and melee range for the 3 hex/turn monster.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 05:44:02 pm by Nirur Torir »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 01, 2014, 05:41:28 pm »

Hey guys?

Keep in mind. It's a game. These aren't real characters. I'm actually glad Nirurmade it clear this wasn't one of those games where no-one ever dies and they don't have to actually try and stay alive because everything's basically thrown at their feet. This is a game where characters die, you have to look at everything beforehand, and you never, ever, put in an action without conferring with the rest of the group first, because it could get you/them killed, with just one mistake.

Although if we seriously get no loot that will be frustrating because we'll have wasted our time and a former guild-member for nothing.

Next battle, me and the healer are coming. No buts about it; this will not happen again. Which means we need our healer and our tank.

EDIT: Also remember, that once we have enough money, resurrection is presumably possible.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 01, 2014, 05:45:23 pm »

Regarding loot, the group is all level 1s. You picked the easier dungeon instead of the one with the magical item. The loot you're getting off skeletons can be sold for a bit over 1g each right now, with a merchant I on the job and no infrastructure. No, I do not consider it cruel to deny you from getting a few such drops. This battle is giving xp, and everyone here is now ready for level 2, once everyone's back home.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 01, 2014, 06:27:46 pm »

I'll roam as a soul-eating ghost for now. Don't think that you'll need any new applicants for a bit.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 01, 2014, 06:33:32 pm »

Eh, That's true. We've been making money in other ways anyway.

Though I have to wonder what's supposed to be in the dungeon that all these skeletons and whatnot were guarding, then.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 01, 2014, 06:34:40 pm »

I wonder if you can hire more applicants now.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 01, 2014, 06:36:12 pm »

I think we need to buy a building for that.

Speaking of which, someone's guild skill should really be 'architect' or 'carpenter' or something else to do with construction to make that cheaper, as I foresee that being rather important.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 01, 2014, 06:37:34 pm »

well, my guild skill is construction (though I wasn't picked).
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 01, 2014, 06:41:51 pm »

Well i guess it time to get new player right *wink wink*nudge nudge
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 01, 2014, 06:52:55 pm »

Though I have to wonder what's supposed to be in the dungeon that all these skeletons and whatnot were guarding, then.
That's a keep, not (just) a dungeon. Given that all of the known inhabitants of this world are xenophobic cultists, they're probably guarding a shrine or nothing in particular.

I wonder if you can hire more applicants now.
I think we need to buy a building for that.
I think he meant to replace our poor necromancer.

Which I'd normally think would have to wait until they return and we find out, but some crazy lady let me see at least some of the battle. I might already know about it.

Odd jobs to make money, just to make sure you got it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20