Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Great GreatWyrmGold Discussion Spillover Thread  (Read 2061 times)

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
The Great GreatWyrmGold Discussion Spillover Thread
« on: May 16, 2014, 01:52:53 pm »

To get the discussion out of the BM 47 thread, this thread has been made.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Great GreatWyrmGold Discussion Spillover Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 01:55:13 pm »

...Wouldn't that discussion be better sent to the Game Thershold, or the Banter thread? Things like these tend to get locked and banned by Toady pretty quickly with GWG. No offense meant, but you do like to argue Gold.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 02:27:29 pm »

How do you tell honest-mistake answers from mafia-coverup answers? Hope that the mafia give obviously flawed reasons?

What's the boundary between "panicky" and "not panicky"? Wouldn't it logically depend on the personality of the actual player? Isn't all of this making it so subjective as to be almost useless?
On telling honest-mistake answers from mafia-coverup answers: A major part of this is determining whether the answer makes sense for the specific player as town.  That, however, is only part of the process.  Observing the player's behaviour before and after the answer, and how it works with the answer (and, for that matter, all other answers they give, and the activities around them in the game), is another part.

To be quite honest, you're not going to catch the scum very often with just a single question.  Scum gets caught through accumulation of evidence.  Accumulation of oddities and of discrepancies.  Scumtells are mostly behaviours noted to be worth investigating.

On the panicky/not panicky boundary: You are correct that it depends on the personality of the actual player.  Everything does.  Pretty much everything in Mafia depends on the context of the game, the actions within the game, the roles available in the game (perhaps the player is a cop?), and the players in the game.

On subjectivity: Subjective, in this case, does not mean useless.  It means context, at the personal level and the game level, must be kept in mind and used in investigation.

RangerCado: Perhaps. Game Threshold is not the right place for this sort of discussion, and I'd rather not flood the Banter thread.  I shall at least try to keep this a calm and respectful discussion.
FUCK YOU JACK
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 03:13:50 pm »

Not including the rule in the OP was an oversight.  Basically the policy should be something like
 http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30908

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 06:16:47 pm »

PTW cuz I give a hoot

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 06:40:06 pm »

Maybe introducing GWG to Mafia.Tiruin was a not so great idea.
They both like to argue their points in a similar fashion. Neither will drop it until there is a clear cut winner, in my experience.
This may just be their architectures, though. I don't remember GWG being as argumentative last year.

GWG: 1) The rule that you don't talk about a game in other threads IS a written rule, it's in the New Player's Guide, in the Basic Tutorial, and in the Banter threads. Especially the Banter threads.
2) The reason for such a rule doesn't truly matter. The reason for any rule doesn't truly matter. One can see a sign with a rule on it, and generally assume "OK, so whatever is banned by the rule was once making a problem, so they made a rule about it".
3) I am being silly when I say you're argumentative. However, chill, dude.

Tiruin: Do not wake the dragon. :P
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 06:52:15 pm »

How do you tell honest-mistake answers from mafia-coverup answers? Hope that the mafia give obviously flawed reasons?

What's the boundary between "panicky" and "not panicky"? Wouldn't it logically depend on the personality of the actual player? Isn't all of this making it so subjective as to be almost useless?
On telling honest-mistake answers from mafia-coverup answers: A major part of this is determining whether the answer makes sense for the specific player as town.  That, however, is only part of the process.  Observing the player's behaviour before and after the answer, and how it works with the answer (and, for that matter, all other answers they give, and the activities around them in the game), is another part.
To be quite honest, you're not going to catch the scum very often with just a single question.  Scum gets caught through accumulation of evidence.  Accumulation of oddities and of discrepancies.  Scumtells are mostly behaviours noted to be worth investigating.
So, what you're telling me is that the important parts were parts not even mentioned in your summary of how to scumhunt?

On the panicky/not panicky boundary: You are correct that it depends on the personality of the actual player.  Everything does.  Pretty much everything in Mafia depends on the context of the game, the actions within the game, the roles available in the game (perhaps the player is a cop?), and the players in the game.
So, isn't providing something so very, very subject to individual personalities as a scumtell...a bit misleading?

On subjectivity: Subjective, in this case, does not mean useless.  It means context, at the personal level and the game level, must be kept in mind and used in investigation.
And how does one use this stuff? That seems like important information.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 07:01:49 pm »

Talking about ongoing games gives you an unfair advantage or ruins the game in many cases and it is banned.  End of discussion.  Either follow the rules or get out.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 07:04:04 pm »

Plus, we already have a thread for miscellaneous discussion.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 07:07:07 pm »

Talking about ongoing games gives you an unfair advantage or ruins the game in many cases and it is banned.  End of discussion.  Either follow the rules or get out.
I didn't actually respond to your comments about that rule. You're such a good reader!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 07:17:45 pm »

This was done before and got locked.  Take it to PMs (note I haven't followed the original thread)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 07:21:22 pm »

Alright, got it.  Shutting down thread.
FUCK YOU JACK
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.