Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fort lag when adventurers visit repeatedly  (Read 1052 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fort lag when adventurers visit repeatedly
« on: May 16, 2014, 11:48:29 am »

I have heard this in sidelong conversation and rumors, but can't seem to find any hard description of exactly what circumstances cause it.

Supposedly, if you make a fort in fort mode, then visit it repeatedly with adventurers, it will start getting horribly laggy over time. Or something like that? Or do you have to reclaim in between to make it happen?

I tried it myself but couldn't replicate. Maybe I'm just not visiting enough times, or I might be doing something else differently. Can anybody shed light on this?  It is relevant for certain community fort ideas.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Fort lag when adventurers visit repeatedly
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 05:52:42 pm »

In my experience abandoned forts are laggy the first time I visit them because of all the crap lying around (at least I think that's what causes it)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 09:52:56 pm »

The idea is it gets laggiER the more adventurers visit, or something?

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 10:57:46 pm »

I believe it had something to do with the monster population that inhabited the abandoned fort refreshing without the prior one being removed each time you re-visited.
I've no idea if it was ever 'fixed', though, you'd need one of the resident experts to assist you there.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 06:14:11 am »

I think it's monster+cave people items etc being regenerated. After enough times the surface will be covered by wild animals.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 06:21:04 am »

You should see what happened with one kobold cave after I had cleared it of kobolds, horrible lag rest with thousands of animals crammed into the site zone. XD

The number of animal men and items also increases on each visit.

Thankfully, this is supposed to be fixed in the next version.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 04:19:22 pm »

Ah.  In the meantime or if it isn't fixed, could you then fix it in a maintenance fashion by reclaiming occasionally in fort mode (using dfhack to keep things where they are with "lair" perhaps, or in the next release if it isn't actually fixed, just un-retiring) and just hack-murdering and autodumping all the animals that have accumulated?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 02:27:19 am »

Using DFhack to set the site as a lair works. Used it a couple times on kobold caves to keep that bug from happening.