Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So,singleplayer steampunk airship games?  (Read 10252 times)

blazing glory

So,singleplayer steampunk airship games?
« on: May 16, 2014, 12:37:31 am »

Any exist?

I have suddenly gotten a craving for one,however all of them seem to be multiplayer.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: So,singleplayer steampunk airship games?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 12:40:05 am »

Guns of Icarus is the main game on the market. It's heavily co-op focused with teams of 4ish split into varying rolls like pilot, gunner and engineer.  It's currently 75% off.
There's also Air Buccaneers which is more focused on the 1v1 combat rather than just manning an airship. I played it a long time ago and found it to be a complete mess but it might have gotten much better. I'll have to add it on my list of games to retry.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 12:45:15 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 12:43:14 am »

Does Hammerfight count? 

Used to have a great one on MAME, but can't remember the name for the life of me.

blazing glory

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 12:45:14 am »

Guns of Icarus is the main game on the market. It's heavily co-op focused with teams of 4ish split into varying rolls like pilot, gunner and engineer.
There's also Air Buccaneers which is more focused on the 1v1 combat rather than just manning an airship. I played it a long time ago and found it to be a complete mess but it might have gotten much better. 

Yeah,looking at them is where I got my craving,unfortunatly both of them are multiplayer only.

Actually I'd probably be happy with any game that allows you the choice of boarding the enemy ship or firing cannons/ballista/artillery.

Does Hammerfight count? 

Unfortunatly not,I've played it,and won it.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 12:50:14 am »

Yeah,looking at them is where I got my craving,unfortunatly both of them are multiplayer only.
My apologies, I missed the part where you wanted singleplayer only. I believe there's some kind of early version of Guns of Icarus that had a singleplayer mode floating around. The devs have also stated they have plans to add a singleplayer/story mode to Guns of Icarus Online at some point.

I remember some jRPG on the gamecube that has some kind of cult following. Looking it up it seems to be called "Skies of Arcadia". I briefly played it ages ago and found it pretty inoffensive, might be worth a look at if you know your way around around an emulator.

ZebAbirul

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly neighborhood lurking extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 12:51:25 am »

Although it may not be steampunk, I would highly recommend Sid Meier's: Pirates! The ship to ship combat is very good and the game is *just* simple enough without being all together too easy.

blazing glory

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 12:53:55 am »

Although it may not be steampunk, I would highly recommend Sid Meier's: Pirates! The ship to ship combat is very good and the game is *just* simple enough without being all together too easy.

Played it on the Wii,stinks in my opinion.

blazing glory

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 12:57:06 am »

My apologies, I missed the part where you wanted singleplayer only. I believe there's some kind of early version of Guns of Icarus that had a singleplayer mode floating around. The devs have also stated they have plans to add a singleplayer/story mode to Guns of Icarus Online at some point.

I remember some jRPG on the gamecube that has some kind of cult following. Looking it up it seems to be called "Skies of Arcadia". I briefly played it ages ago and found it pretty inoffensive, might be worth a look at if you know your way around around an emulator.

I managed to find the early version you mentioned,called flight of Icarus,Little bit old but maybe I'll give it a try,unfortunatly I can't really use emulators,all the websites look like they harbor a virus or something.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 01:02:56 am »

Stratosphere would fit. It's pretty old and not exacly about airships... but i think you should check it out anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHqRnfv1aTU

Basically you manually build a flying island/fortress out of power generators batteries and large assortment of weapons/gadgets and try to survive the tough as nails campaign.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

blazing glory

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 01:12:38 am »

Oh well,just hope someone makes a good single player airship game in the near future.

Thanks for your attempts to give me assistance.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 01:25:45 am »

The only problem is Stratosphere is nearly impossible to find. From what I saw, while it's offered for sale by some retailers, at least the one on Amazon will cancel because they don't actually have the product any longer.

blazing glory

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 01:34:58 am »

Well,while searching around on steam I found a game that may or may not scratch that itch I've been having,called Windforge,while it's not exactly what I might've been looking for (seeing how it's sidescrolling) I'm willing to take a chance with it.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 01:48:41 am »

My Skies of Arcadia senses were tingling. Best game. Ever.
Bloody shame the marketing was crap and it died before they got the PC version out.

On topic, I've seen promising things about a 2D indie game called Windforge. Its... sort of steampunk. Singleplayer and currently in... beta I think? It has ship customization building and an open world I believe. Looked like it was in an enjoyable state as well.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 02:00:11 am »

My Skies of Arcadia senses were tingling. Best game. Ever.
I'll second this. I only played the remake Legends on the GCN, but oh good lord I have sunk so many hours into it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 02:03:15 am »

Close, but not exactly what you are looking for. Also old and no idea if you can find it.

Crimson skies is kind of an alternate history game with propeller planes doing battle against airships. It is an arcady flight sim rather than an FPS, but still a fun game if memory holds. I should look that old game up...
Pages: [1] 2