Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beginner type question: Swapping graphic mods  (Read 2509 times)

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beginner type question: Swapping graphic mods
« on: May 15, 2014, 11:52:44 am »

What all would be entailed in changing graphic mod sets?
Will I be able to do that on the same fortress/world, or will I have to start fresh?

spigo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner type question: Swapping graphic mods
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 12:41:24 pm »

You should be able to change graphics sets in the same world. Some graphics sets change the tiles for certain ores, plants, etc. but that shouldn't be a problem if you're running vanilla DF with graphics. What you'd have to do is install the graphics set normally, then go into the save raws for the region (date\saves\[region name]\raws) and install the graphics set raws there, too, overwriting the save raws.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 12:52:33 pm »

I've had problems with older graphics.txt files, it might be wise to delete them too so they don't interfere.

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 01:06:43 pm »

Thanks. What about uninstalling, is that needed? I was a bit unclear--I'd be going from Ironhand to something else.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 02:00:46 pm »

I don't know if I can explain this well.. but I will try.

Deleting everything from the raw/graphics folder (both in your data/save/[region name]/raw/graphics and the default raw/graphics folder) will basically be an uninstall.  However there are tilesets that change certain things in other raw files and the like which need to be redone (Usually if it was a mod more than a graphics set).

If you notice that something looks funky (like the plants or the stone walls) you can just grab the raw file from a vanilla version and replace the default raw file in your df directory. Changing the raws in your data/save/[region name]/raw may cause problems so I don't recommend it. It may be better to just generate a new world at that point...

I would recommend a separate install for each mod or tileset one wants to test or use. It helps for comapring and contrasting things and also it gives a backup of certain documents (like the init.txt).

REMEMBER! It is always smart to back up whatever you are about to change or delete in case things don't work out the way you want or expect... or you decide to change your mind in the future.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 02:26:43 pm by Rogue Yun »

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 03:46:03 pm »

Thanks Rogue, that's pretty helpful, you explained just fine.