Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: [INSECTS] - Swarm Race Ideas  (Read 16445 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: [INSECTS] - Swarm Race Ideas
« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2014, 03:30:22 pm »

Having your workers not need tools actually sounds like a good idea/ I don't know how easy it would be, but it sounds interesting.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2014, 03:53:03 pm »

As the fort approaches FPS death, you may not want all those larvae eating up your CPU, and might want to stop them from breeding. But if you do that, you risk them all evolving into workers/warriors, and then you're screwed if you need to repopulate your fort after an attack. So how about being able to place eggs or cocoons in some form of stasis, so you can get rid of all the larvae to speed the game up, and then re-fertilize the eggs at a later date?

-Nihil-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2014, 03:58:48 pm »

Having your workers not need tools actually sounds like a good idea/ I don't know how easy it would be, but it sounds interesting.

I know you could easily create extremely cheap tools for use. That way the worker will simply go to the stockpile to adapt a small tool to allow it to properly dig through the earth.

I know of no way to allow digging without a tool.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2014, 04:05:39 pm »

I know you could easily create extremely cheap tools for use. That way the worker will simply go to the stockpile to adapt a small tool to allow it to properly dig through the earth.

I know of no way to allow digging without a tool.

what about some sort of resin used to toughen claws, scythes, etc for digging and mining that has to be replenished every few months? Then it counts as a tool for the sake of the game, but isn't a tool for lore purposes

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2014, 04:51:31 pm »

Why not make your insect a bit more "evolved", with specialized claws as tools?

Or a caste that gets a spell that basically summons their version of an axe or a pick?
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 15, 2014, 05:27:39 pm »

atm there is no way to make a creature have a pick or axe innately, they require a tool/weapon for it

although i believe you can make weapons that has the tags for both axe and pick, just call it something like mandible blades and your good
from what i see it requires the axe skill to be considered an axe for chopping and [DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK:FORCED] in the entity for digging

atleast i think it works for both that way
but it would force your miners to fight with the axe skill instead of the mining skill
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2014, 05:58:55 pm »

That's why I suggested the resin. They already have the tools built in, but they can't use them to mine without a place-holder item. Hence, resin

theprofileth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 15, 2014, 06:58:40 pm »

So are we sure we DON'T want a Tyranid race  ;) or at least something like that because I think we are tragically lacking in the lovecraftian monstrosity department of playable races  8)

-Nihil-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 15, 2014, 09:24:00 pm »

So are we sure we DON'T want a Tyranid race  ;) or at least something like that because I think we are tragically lacking in the lovecraftian monstrosity department of playable races  8)

I do not know that much about them, but they have always seemed pretty cool to me. I would be all for something a bit more like that aesthetically as opposed to something like a wasp or mantis.

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2014, 10:46:47 am »

Couple of ideas:

With the introduction of giant trees in the DF40, maybe have something like the ability to chew up wood logs and make a lot of "hive material" or something similar?

Personally, I prefer the idea of a tyranid style race myself too. Capturing enemies, throwing them into a pool of bioplasm and forming your new forces from them just sounds immense (although it's a bit too similar to what warlocks and succubus do mechanically).

Maybe unlock new genetic traits via that. Gives a COMPLETELY different sort of progression system to everyone else.
I Love Bacon

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 16, 2014, 10:55:28 am »

i think warlocks and succubi convert the 'invaders' directly into a caste
as the pool of bioplasm should allow for anything to become a new member of the fort

i think the race should be incapable of taming creatures other than a select few so no large pastures of animals for easy meat/bioplasm

i like the idea of a tyranid style race too

and from what i've seen/heard, you get a whole lot more wood in the new version from trees
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 16, 2014, 01:40:55 pm »

Also, given the hive mentality, I don't think they should get bad thoughts from losing friends. In fact, given that their number one concern is the survival of the hive, tantrum spirals should be minimal/non-existent.

Couple of ideas:

With the introduction of giant trees in the DF40, maybe have something like the ability to chew up wood logs and make a lot of "hive material" or something similar?

Personally, I prefer the idea of a tyranid style race myself too. Capturing enemies, throwing them into a pool of bioplasm and forming your new forces from them just sounds immense (although it's a bit too similar to what warlocks and succubus do mechanically).

Maybe unlock new genetic traits via that. Gives a COMPLETELY different sort of progression system to everyone else.

Maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance but I really don't like the new version

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #132 on: August 16, 2014, 04:52:18 pm »

I thik the insects should stick to being insects- we can have another race be the cosmic horror aliens.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 16, 2014, 07:06:34 pm »

i think we all want mutating bugs that use bio weapons, in game they'll be just 16x16 sprites with a short description and some custom reactions
what matters is the outcome not the inspiration

just write some lore that they are insects imbued by demons/gods of chaos and have formed packs due to adapting or !gaining! from others and so on and make them look/sound like common insects or mixes between a few
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Zuzu Reish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 17, 2014, 08:28:47 am »

If I wanted to play as the Tyranids, I'd play as Blizzard's interpretation of them  8)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11