Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: [INSECTS] - Swarm Race Ideas  (Read 16453 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [INSECTS] - Swarm Race Ideas
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2014, 02:09:42 pm »

Would also make them horribly overpowered. ;)

I would love to completely ignore any equipment for them, no weapons/armor. But DF doesnt really allow this. Especially when it comes to woodcutting/mining/hunting.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 02:13:45 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2014, 02:19:04 pm »

Would also make them horribly overpowered. ;)

Not if they required a brain to live and move.  Then they'd last for a few seconds after losing their head, able to use push attacks but nothing else, and would then suffocate.  Could be a nice touch, actually.

Sagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2014, 11:03:47 pm »

Will their only method of breeding be by transforming larvae into more adults (which will be all genderless, I assume)? Won't this make them all go extinct during world generation? I recall that genderless or one-gender species never progressed at all during it...

Btw, I really love the idea for this race. I haven't played DF in forever, but I will definitely come back to it once the update with this civ is released!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2014, 09:32:00 am »

A minor idea that, while I am currently unable to test, should work: add grass to hell. Sure, it'll never actually spawn there, but it should start growing on soil and mud in your fort after hell is breached, allowing for special endgame castes.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2014, 03:30:50 pm »

A minor idea that, while I am currently unable to test, should work: add grass to hell. Sure, it'll never actually spawn there, but it should start growing on soil and mud in your fort after hell is breached, allowing for special endgame castes.
yes, it would work, but it would be difficult to ensure grazing on it. 1 in 4 grass tiles that grow in newly dug tiles would be the hell-grass. But its a good idea. :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 04:55:55 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2014, 04:39:34 pm »

yes, it would work, but it would be difficult to ensure grazing on it. 1 in 4 grass tiles that grow in newly dug tiles would be the hell-grass. But its a good idea. :)
I suppose it would be fitting for it to be rare. Also fixed your quote.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

SpiritArmor

• Bay Watcher
  • Your curiosity will be the death of you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2014, 05:11:58 pm »

Would it be possible to have the Swarm convert vermin remains to biomass, but with the caveat that 1 vermin remain = 1/50 (or something) unit of biomass? Like a mix between the Dwarfs' Crematorium and how Smelters can melt metal weapon/armors/items into some fraction of metal bars.

It would be more of a thematic thing (or for when the Swarm is really desperate), but I think it would be really neat to show that they're VERY systematic/logical in their efforts to procure biomass, like how Tyranids will strip a planet down to its bedrock for food.

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2014, 07:14:43 pm »

what if they had multiple levels of biomass of differing size or strength? like copper > silver > gold the dwarves and most have

crude biomass > lean biomass > better biomass
fatty biomass > energizing biomass > crystaline biomass

or something better sounding :P
that way they could be able to get enough vermin for crude biomass then refine it for the better stuff
maybe the vermin could be in such high demand they leave food out to attract it?
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2014, 07:56:26 pm »

I can do this by making the differenet levels give different amounts, but in the end it has to be the same item/material, because otherwise the reactions/buildmats wont recognize all of them. But thats easy to do.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2014, 02:59:51 pm »

Cant you give them a reaction class?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Mithril Leaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2014, 08:02:25 am »

One of the main evolution paths I think could be fun would be a hulker caste that could go through several growth spurts induced by consuming massive amounts of biomass and entering a period of cocooned stasis, much as the guilds work. No manipulation capable appendages, but several big claws and an immensely heavy body behind it. Can we force nudity on them to avoid the issues with clothing on creatures that big (or would it even be an issue with player civ made clothes?). Maybe even have the caste just grows to an absurd max size over a good number of years? I like the idea of barely sentient creature remaining civ members because the Insects aren't racist like the dwarves.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2014, 08:30:02 am »

(or would it even be an issue with player civ made clothes?)
It would not. All clothing you make fits all creatures you have.

Mithril Leaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2014, 08:48:29 am »

(or would it even be an issue with player civ made clothes?)
It would not. All clothing you make fits all creatures you have.
So the width is the same for all clothes you make then? Normally the genned clothing for huge creatures with sentience is so thick you can't actually penetrate it. Or maybe this was this fixed and I'm just remembering poorly.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2014, 08:50:56 am »

I guess we have to find out. I dont know what happens if you have two castes with bodysize 1 and bodysize 1 million, but I know that both can wear your clothing... but how thick it will be? no idea.

Mithril Leaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2014, 08:52:20 am »

I guess we have to find out. I dont know what happens if you have two castes with bodysize 1 and bodysize 1 million, but I know that both can wear your clothing... but how thick it will be? no idea.
Science time!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11