Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: continue generating history in legends mode  (Read 2321 times)

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
continue generating history in legends mode
« on: May 13, 2014, 11:29:48 am »

okay,i'm not sure if it's already suggested,but i feel like legends mode is really missing the option to continue generating history after you finish a fort or an adventurer.like,for example,you create a fort,lose it and generate a few more hundred years of history.then return and reclaim it after it has already passed to history.

it would also be nice to get to see what impact your actions had on the world.that skirmish you started with the elves,for example?now it's a full scale war,because when you started the hostilities you were a barony of a dwarf civ.did the elves win?will you have to contest them to reclaim your fortress?or that goblin civ you crippled by killing all of its leaders.what happened to them?did a new leader took over and regrouped?did they got destroyed by their enemies due to the lack of leadership?

i believe these details would add so much more to legends mode

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: continue generating history in legends mode
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 11:41:19 am »

okay,i'm not sure if it's already suggested,but i feel like legends mode is really missing the option to continue generating history after you finish a fort or an adventurer.like,for example,you create a fort,lose it and generate a few more hundred years of history.then return and reclaim it after it has already passed to history.

it would also be nice to get to see what impact your actions had on the world.that skirmish you started with the elves,for example?now it's a full scale war,because when you started the hostilities you were a barony of a dwarf civ.did the elves win?will you have to contest them to reclaim your fortress?or that goblin civ you crippled by killing all of its leaders.what happened to them?did a new leader took over and regrouped?did they got destroyed by their enemies due to the lack of leadership?

i believe these details would add so much more to legends mode
The next release will be the first to keep the world "alive" after generation.  We don't have full details yet, but it sounds to me like worldgen-level-detail events will continue to occur.  So you should definitely be able to see the impact of your adventurer on the world.  Fortress mode doesn't appear quite as integrated with the outside world this release (though your fort can have an impact by thinning the herds of titans, which matters because titans have a big impact on the "worldgen" that is still occurring).
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 11:44:37 am »

nice.i kinda lost track of all the planned features,though i do remember something about moving armies...it would be nice to have a lasting,not "imma kill everything that moves" impact on your world.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 02:38:58 am »

Yeah, the entire point of the next update is to do this. Every single other thing is something that was necessary to activate the world after worldgen.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 12:55:03 pm »

Note that in the meantime, you CAN still do this. Generate a new world with the same random generator seeds, and history will progress identically. Then just don't stop it as soon.

Doesn't work after you have a fortress or adventurers (things will be as if they weren't there), but for just the world on its own, it works.

Also is helpful for if you want to embark during a war that's now over.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 12:52:47 pm »

hey,that's actually a good idea.never thought of that one,thanks.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 12:54:02 pm »

Yeah, the entire point of the next update is to do this. Every single other thing is something that was necessary to activate the world after worldgen.
Even trees, if you think about it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 12:57:50 pm »

Trees are necessary for elf sites which are necessary for the activation of the world.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 03:21:41 pm »

hey,that's actually a good idea.never thought of that one,thanks.
No problemo. Also, it will actually continue to be relevant as a strategy after the next release, because this lets you go backward in time, not just forward. As mentioned before, embarking during past wars. But also stuff like you see in legends mode there was one badass dragon with 40,000 kills and you want to take it on as an adventurer, but it just died. Well, go back and beat them to it!

Or embark during the brief period of time when your civ had a goblin king and try to beat the story of Cacame, or whatever.

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 04:51:14 am »

Actually this proposal is not in the next release - while the world continues to spin while you are playing adventurer or fortress mode, it doesn't do so without your participation in legends mode, which was what the OP seemed to have in mind. I think just skipping a few years without doing something yourself could be quite interesting.
Taste my Paci-Fist

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 01:53:01 pm »

Actually this proposal is not in the next release - while the world continues to spin while you are playing adventurer or fortress mode, it doesn't do so without your participation in legends mode, which was what the OP seemed to have in mind. I think just skipping a few years without doing something yourself could be quite interesting.
1) Give dwarves [NO_EAT] [NO_DRINK] temporarily (doesn't require a new world)
2) Make an adventurer dwarf
3) Stand in an empty room somewhere and turn on a macro that just sleeps till dawn over and over
4) Go off to work for the day
5) Come back to a world several years later.

Might not be a snazzy menu option, but unlike now, it would be actually possible, which is mostly all that matters with us savvy DF player folk.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 02:25:29 pm »

Much faster: found fort, abandon/retire fort, found a new one. Every fort starts at the spring of the next year.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 03:43:55 pm »

Okay, it is technically possible, but a snazzy menu option still would be nice. :P
Taste my Paci-Fist