Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kaiju-A-Gogo: Godzilla meets real-time XCOM [RELEASED]  (Read 2047 times)

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kaiju-A-Gogo: Godzilla meets real-time XCOM [RELEASED]
« on: May 13, 2014, 06:45:28 am »

Kickstarter Page
RockPaperShotgun Article 13/05/2014

Kerberos Productions (responsible for Sword of the Stars, Sword of the Stars 2, Fort Zombie, Sword of the Stars: The Pit and Sword of the Stars: Groundpounders) launched a kickstarter yesterday for Kaiju-a-gogo (KAG). KAG puts you in the shoes of a mad scientist, who manages to create the first ever Kaiju (or Giant Monster Thingy™). You then embark on a quest to conquer the world. You control your monster in a real-environment, where you crush everything humanity (30 or so different units) throws at you. If you wreck a city hard enough, they will acknowledge you as their ruler. Conquer enough cities and the world is yours!

Being a mad scientist, you have your own secret base. Your monster can return to base, where it can heal-up and be upgraded. Each monster (there are 3 planned so far) have access to around 90 different abilities. Beyond that, there around a dozen or so buildings, including defenses!

More information can be found at their kickstarter page here.

Spoiler: Feature List (click to show/hide)

Looks interesting, but I would love to get some more information before I depart with some cash. The XCOM reference tickled my attention, as did the art-style. So, I'm on the fence, but cautiosly optimistic.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 04:25:04 pm by Dohon »
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: Kaiju-A-Gogo: Godzilla meets real-time XCOM [KICKSTARTER]
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 10:55:06 am »

Could this be a spiritual successor to Crush, Crumble and Stomp?

Why has it taken so long for someone to do this?
I got nothing

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 10:58:57 am »

I saw the title, and thought that sounds awesome. Then I saw it was by Kerberos. After SotsII? No thanks.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 11:23:23 am »

To be fair, the pit's pretty decent... a sort of sci-fi dungeons of dreadmor, if slightly less impressive in terms of execution, imo. As long as they're doing something more focused (and preferably not 3d, apparently), they seem to do okay. I'd hold out on damning this game for SotSII. At least from a pure gameplay perspective, it might turn out alright.

Though deciding not to get it to avoid doing business with kerberos would be fair. They screwed the pooch pretty hard with SotSII.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 06:12:02 pm »

So, this is available on Steam now, as a full release not. Not EA.

Signs are pointing to it being a rush job. There's 1 Kaiju to play with now, the other two coming as DLC. Just going on the negative reviews (which there are few of but they're decently high detail) so far, it's got its fair amount of bugs and handles pretty clunky. There's apparently long times to build stuff, travel to cities with your monster, I saw images of a Kaiju razing a park in a city to build something....not quite sure where this game headed but it seems short of what was hoped for. Someone said it feels like a tablet/FB game with the obligatory time wasters, and it looks true from the videos. Whatever was supposed to be XCOM-y about this doesn't seem to have made it due to time constraints/budget/what have you. Seems like you were intended to juggle multiple monsters and fights and yadda yadda, but with 1 monster it's not a lot to juggle and do, just wait for timers to count down.

For me though, it's the graphics. Even accepting the art, there's something subtly...fake looking about the game. Effects don't match the art style in many places, looking kinda copy/pasted in there. Even the environmental and city art, which should be the most consistent, looks like it was made by different people. Here you have razor sharp, clean lined-looking cell shaded stuff. Here, you have a blurry pixelated mess. Same story for the choppers and tanks and what not. The game varies wildly in terms of what things look like, how some parts look crisp and stylized, while others look like a blown up sprite. The Kaiju being made of several sprites looks jiggly, almost like it's for intentional comedic effect.

I was kinda excited to pick this up when it came out, but even releasing with a 10% discount and coming in just over $10...it's already scared me away by looking at it.

Anyone that backed this wanna chip in their review? Apparently the devs have stuff and reasons and things they've communicated.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 06:19:35 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 06:22:21 pm »

Choose one of 3 monster types to grow and teach, each with over 90 unique powers and attacks!

Officially that isn't true.

2 of the 3 monsters are early order bonuses.

I'd give it a try but my money is rather limited at the moment even for 10 dollar games.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 06:24:31 pm by Neonivek »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 06:45:28 pm »

Actually, they're planned DLC now. Free for backers, I imagine. The indiegogo campaign didn't hit enough to fund them for release.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 06:51:19 pm »

Total Biscuit did a wtf on it.

Verdict: not impressed.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 03:16:56 am »

This game is actually pretty cool for a fun time waster. I've finished it last weekend in about...10 hours maybe? Could've done it in less but I wanted to see some of the T5 abilities. The game does have some bugs, like AI suddenly becoming passive and not chasing you anymore, low fps issues when lots of stuff happens at the same time (my pc should be hugely more than capable of running this), my island has never been attacked in 5 years and supposedly, enemy kaiju should start appearing in year 5.
However, even with these bugs, there were moments where I greatly enjoyed myself. 10 dollars might be a bit too much for the game in its current state, but it's definitely worth 5$ or 7.50$.