Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: to change ascii tile for dwarven merchants  (Read 1065 times)

ustrikemagma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
to change ascii tile for dwarven merchants
« on: May 13, 2014, 02:04:42 am »

i m fond of ascii and find even the smiley for dwarf too graphic, so i ve managed to change them into ä, as that looks like two eyes, nose, and baerd. and to avoid human giving giant horseman association, i change them into @. But that coincides with how the dwarf merchants look. so where can i find raw for dwarf merchants and fix that?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: to change ascii tile for dwarven merchants
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 02:45:30 am »

It's not merchants in particular. @ is just the symbol for dwarves, period, who aren't members of your particular fort. It applies to merchants, as well as caravan guards, as well as diplomats, as well as random dwarven dudes in adventure mode, etc.

I don't have the specific answer you're looking for, but I would start looking in generic places like creature raws, if it's anywhere, due to the above fact that it's generic to any profession.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

ustrikemagma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 03:28:52 am »

Thanks for the quick reply:). i edit creature_tile of dwarf in creature standard. the original value is 1, which is the smiley. perhaps, @ is hardcoded for uncontrollable units of the race one plays.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 08:50:14 am »

Thanks for the quick reply:). i edit creature_tile of dwarf in creature standard. the original value is 1, which is the smiley. perhaps, @ is hardcoded for uncontrollable units of the race one plays.
I don't see where that character is assigned in the raws, but it is something that can be overriden with a graphics set. 

There is probably an easier solution, but you can take someone's graphics set for dwarves and paste over each image with a white-on-black image of the tileset cell you want to use.  In the graphics_*.txt file, replace instances of "AS_IS" with "ADD_COLOR".

The other alternative is to pick something other than @ for the humans.  Maybe ♂ for male-caste humans and ♀ for female-caste humans?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map