Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Notable News and Information Sharing Thread  (Read 1723 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Notable News and Information Sharing Thread
« on: May 12, 2014, 08:21:47 am »

Are things happening in the world that we might want  to know about? If so, share it here. This is for sharing world news and events, both by citing published accounts and speaking of your own experiences as part of them.

This is not a thread for arguing, debate, or even discussion. In fact, don't even address other posters directly! It is a thread for spreading knowledge. Some posters with personal experiences may choose to open themselves up to questions ( and if they don't, don't ask them), but these questions should solely be requests for additional information, not less than subtle jabs or attempts to undermine their experiences.

If telling about your own experiences, limit yourself to things that actually happened, to you. Try to avoid rumours, do not comment on, or in response to, other posters. Simply describe what happened as you experienced it, and how it impacted you.

If you are posting a link, give a brief summary.

If you want to discuss something, bring it from here to an appropriate thread. This is not a thread for debating things or starting discussions, it is for sharing information.

Showing appreciation for people posting useful sources is fine, but that's the extent of non-content posting I'd like to see.

I am tired of not getting to find out about interesting things because some us seem to have difficulty avoiding bickering - this is an attempt to cut those inevitable arguments off at the knees. I will do what needs to be done to keep things on topic.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 02:36:30 pm by GlyphGryph »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Notable News and Information Sharing Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 08:26:28 am »

I will kick things off:

The Washington DC Marijuana Initiative is looking good on two fronts. First, the actual legalization initative is steadily collecting signatures, looks like they will obtain their goal, and support is extremely high so if they do get it on the ballot polls indicate it will pass easily.
http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/7/legal-pot-in-dc-proposal-allows-for-6-plants-per-h/?page=all

Someone I know actually working on the campaign has told me that DC's initative rules are incredibly strict thoughh (they strike out names that dont match exactly, like if someones signs "Greg" instead of "Gregory" for their first name) and because a lot of those in DC don't legally count as residents and thus can't sign.

The second front they are doing well on is with the recent passage of a decriminalization bill, although that still needs to be approved by a congressional committee, like all DC laws.
http://m.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/house-committee-to-meet-on-liberal-dc-marijuana-law/2014/05/09/8aff2c2e-d76d-11e3-8a78-8fe50322a72c_story.html

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 08:27:28 am »

So basically bay12newspaper thread? :P

PTWing and hopefully contributing some day.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 08:35:42 am »

PTW, although I wonder if it'll work.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 08:38:30 am »

PTW
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 08:39:21 am »

PTW
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 08:43:19 am »

PTP

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 08:45:09 am »

PTW, interesting concept, I wonder where you got it from? :p
Fingers crossed this won't fall apart.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 08:57:33 am »

This year marks South Africa's 5th democratic election and 20 years since the end of Apartheid, without bloodshed on any significant scale.
The ANC did not get a two-thirds majority in the elections (which woulda sucked, because they would have been able to change the constitution).

My country is boring and politically stable-ish.  :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 08:59:16 am »

PTW
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 09:10:12 am »

I personally don't think this thread will last too long- I mean, most newsworthy things tend to evoke some kind of emotion.
Strong enough to get them in another thread, that is. We'll see!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 09:23:24 am »

Yeah, also we have a lot of region-specific threads to concurrence this one.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 10:59:37 am »

$44 trillion price tag for clean energy

Context:
This is the investement needed using an all-of-the-above approach to cap global warming at 2 degrees. Requires, amongst others, a yearly expansion 22GW Nuclear power.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:02:08 am by 10ebbor10 »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 01:03:32 pm »

That might, you know, be a good way to do it. An international bank capable of printing notes in every currency, which, on a per GDP basis prints notes and uses them to invest where nessecairy.

The 44 trillion is invested over a span of almost 40 years, so that it's only a 1 trillion a year on average. Which is less than 2% of the world GDP.
Pages: [1] 2