Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clouds, Bursts, Flows, Syndromes, and You: a Research thread  (Read 1367 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile

I did some research on how syndromes are transmitted via gases using DFHack and some disassembly diving. My test syndrome temporarily causes the creature's tile to flash, allowing easy detection of results.

1. Material bursts (but not steam bursts, which are hardcoded).
The Human 1 is caught in a burst of boiling zinc!
- Applies temperature and contaminants
- However syndromes are NOT applied. (I didn't test contact syndrome dust contaminants, and my boiling zinc burst didn't leave contaminants, so at least INHALED syndromes are not applied here).
- This is not part of the "flows" code, and is related to transferring contaminants and temperatures to buildings, items, and perhaps plants. It happens 100% of the time a unit is visually in a material gas, once every few ticks?
- The [CAUGHT_IN_FLAMES:A_D:UCR_A] announcement data is used.

2. Material clouds.
Human 7 is caught in a cloud of boiling zinc!
- Applies temperatures, contaminants, and syndromes (notably applies INHALED syndromes)
- Is part of the "flows" code which only targets creatures
- Only happens 10% (ten percent) of the time, OR if the unit flag "check_flows" is true (and that flag is set to true when a creature steps into another tile). There is no other randomness preventing the application of inhaled syndromes.

3. Other flows.
A list of flows:
Code: [Select]
Miasma
Steam
Mist
MaterialDust
MagmaMist
Smoke
Dragonfire
Fire
Web
MaterialGas
MaterialVapor
OceanWave
SeaFoam

If a unit has a shield, dragonfire will never appear in the same tile as it. However without a shield, you only get the "caught in dragonfire" message 10% of the time (if standing still) or if you step into a tile with dragonfire. However apparently dragonfire has multiple routes to causing thermal damage, so you can still burn even if you stand still. Units may die faster if they move around in the breath.

Similarily it appears that miasma and waterfall thoughts would occur 10% of the time unless the unit is moving.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Clouds, Bursts, Flows, Syndromes, and You: a Research thread
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 10:15:22 am »

If a unit has a shield, dragonfire will never appear in the same tile as it.
It's my recollection that this depends on the unit's ability to block the dragonfire.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Shik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 12:30:33 pm »

sweet,  never seen that list of flows before, the only ones ive seen on the wiki are fireball firejet and dragonfire.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 04:34:50 pm »

So can someone make a creature with, say, a miasma attack?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 08:27:57 pm »

No, the only options for creature attacks are:

Code: [Select]
TRAILING_DUST_FLOW 
TRAILING_VAPOR_FLOW
TRAILING_GAS_FLOW   
SOLID_GLOB 
LIQUID_GLOB
SPATTER_POWDER 
SPATTER_LIQUID 
UNDIRECTED_GAS 
UNDIRECTED_VAPOR   
UNDIRECTED_DUST
WEB_SPRAY   
DRAGONFIRE 
FIREJET
FIREBALL   
WEATHER_CREEPING_GAS   
WEATHER_CREEPING_VAPOR 
WEATHER_CREEPING_DUST   
WEATHER_FALLING_MATERIAL   

Anything else will give you "Unrecognized Breath Attack Token"

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 09:28:13 am »

2. Material clouds.
Human 7 is caught in a cloud of boiling zinc!
- Applies temperatures, contaminants, and syndromes (notably applies INHALED syndromes)
- Is part of the "flows" code which only targets creatures
- Only happens 10% (ten percent) of the time, OR if the unit flag "check_flows" is true (and that flag is set to true when a creature steps into another tile). There is no other randomness preventing the application of inhaled syndromes.
This doesn't match my (limited) experience with using boil-away stones to inflict inhaled syndromes, although there does appear to be a window of opportunity to avoid a cloud.  If the booby-trapped tile is the last tile in a tunnel and there is another mining designation elsewhere, the miner will set off the explosion but be far enough away to avoid any ill effects.  Looks to me like the same behavior that lets an engraver safely carve fortifications in warm stone so long as he/she immediately runs somewhere else.

I've noticed this troubleshooting my own mod; it should apply to Masterwork's warpstones and any other boil-away materials as well.

A 10% chance of inflicting a syndrome would nerf any mining surprises as well as workshops that use clouds to affect the operator.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 05:09:49 pm »

Dirst, I may have misunderstood this but I'm under the impression that it is 10% chance per turn in the gas  as most gases don't dissipate immediately the chances would be significantly higher.
But then again, I might be wrong.

/Zorbeltuss
Kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha, jokainen häviää. / Kaikki jotuvat tappiolle kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 08:01:46 pm »

Dirst, I may have misunderstood this but I'm under the impression that it is 10% chance per turn in the gas  as most gases don't dissipate immediately the chances would be significantly higher.
But then again, I might be wrong.

/Zorbeltuss

Yes. Say a dwarf is standing still in a workshop on a really long job, and a waterfall mist flows by. Each time the code is run, which may be once per turn, there is a 10% chance of the happy thought being granted. I am not knowledgeable in the "thoughts" area, but IIRC thoughts of the same type don't stack or are not created if they would stack. If the mist existed for a while, the overall probability of the thought would be higher. P0=10%. P1=27%. P3=34%. P4=41%. P5=47%. P6=52%. etc. You get to 99% probability of receiving the thought after 40 chances at 10% per chance.

If the dwarf went to get a drink and had to walk through the mist, stepping into a tile that has mist, the randomness would be skipped and the happy waterfall mist thought would be granted.

If you set up your announcements.txt to display the boiling material notices in dwarf mode, you could test your boil-away-material workshops and mining and look for the difference between "bursts" and "clouds".

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 11:12:57 am »

Interesting. Posting to watch.