Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Stories of Times You Introduced Friends to Dwarf Fortress.  (Read 15583 times)

Kreydurst

• Bay Watcher
  • Is insane
    • View Profile
Re: Stories of Times You Introduced Friends to Dwarf Fortress.
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2014, 09:32:56 pm »

Though it's made me a HUGE hipster. If Dwarf Fortress does somehow manage to leak into the mainstream, I will be amongst the first to say "I played Dwarf Fortress before it was cool."

Playing Dwarf fortress Requires some sort of brain. Hipsters have no brain, they are giant undead sponges with a mob mentality.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2014, 09:48:29 pm »

Though it's made me a HUGE hipster. If Dwarf Fortress does somehow manage to leak into the mainstream, I will be amongst the first to say "I played Dwarf Fortress before it was cool."

Playing Dwarf fortress Requires some sort of brain. Hipsters have no brain, they are giant undead sponges with a mob mentality.

Isn't being an undead sponge an achievement in and of itself?
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2014, 10:40:03 pm »

I don't have a story about introducing someone to dwarf fortress, but I was introduced by someone. For a time it sat on my computer unused then I got a graphic set for it. So while I prefer the graphics I have reached the point I could cope with the ASCII for the game. Never would have got into it without them though. Seems like it's easier to cope with giving the dwarves orders if you aren't also trying to decipher the screen.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

majesty327

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2014, 03:44:36 pm »

Minecraft has bad graphics
Sir, you are playing Dwarf Fortress.

Composite issue.  I played Mario and NetHack, along with MUDs back in the day too, because that was the best there was during their development, but they were interesting.  I've also played games that were as boring as knitting yet beautiful to watch go by, so I played them through.  *shrugs*  And honestly, without the graphics packs that some of the great folks round here have put out, I probably wouldn't play DF either.
I'd argue that you're playing Minecraft wrong. Minecraft isn't 3d Terraria, and it isn't even close to Dwarf Fortress. It's, like you said, a box of legos. The real fun in the game comes from megaprojects and art, not to mention redstone contraptions. And it's not that the graphics are bad, it's merely the artstyle of the game. The game itself is pretty capable of high-res textures. You having a Dungeon Keeper (one of my favorite games btw) avatar should at least mean that you'd feel nostalgic, because mining in Minecraft is like mining when you possess an imp.

Legionaries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2014, 07:07:07 pm »

I've had a few friends try dwarf fortress after telling them that I built a "goblin suicide tower" (a defense structure I create sometimes because watching gobbos kill themselves amuses me.)

"You built a what?  What do you mean by Goblins can't resist killing themselves for a kitten?"

So I show them the 30 z levels of stairs leading up to to a narrow platform with lots of weapon traps and a path to a kitten behind a wall.  When a siege comes, they can't resist trying to kill the kitten, climb up, up, up, up then dodge off the platform, exploding after a 30+ z level drop.  I've also used that trick to make a back entrance when migrants come or you need to let a ambassador out.

That usually gets them to try the game.

Ramaraunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok is Laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2014, 10:27:14 pm »

I showed it to my brother and he said he doesn't want to have to take a college course to play a video game.
The moment you realize that there is no iron.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2014, 04:23:35 am »

I just showed it to my cousin, not sure if he'll go through the whole learning process, but he seemed interested when I described it as "complicated", "impossible to win", and having "hordes of zombies that might not even have heads to shoot" so I figure it's only a matter of time.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2014, 10:36:42 pm »

My friend asked me about what I did in my free time, asides from art and hanging out with her.
She is what I would refer to with the utmost politeness as a "casual gamer."
How the hell do I explain fucking Dwarf Fortress to someone who has never played a video game that hasn't been on an iPhone?

[EDIT: It actually went better than I expected it to. Does this mean I can e-mail her the PDF version of Boatmurdered in good conscience?]

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 06:17:29 pm by Dampe »
Regards,
Dampe

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2014, 11:10:40 pm »

@dampe, this is someones sig, but i think it works perfectly for you.

Dwarf fortress in 50 words:

You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bones.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2014, 11:37:19 pm »

I remember I tried to get one friend into DF. I explained how it worked and encouraged him to start a test fortress. He said he would at home. Next time I saw him, a month later, I took a look at his fortress. He hadn't unpaused or touched the save. And then he did, after much prompting. Blood started raining from the sky. He hasn't touched fort mode since.

Although afterwards we ended up having a contest to see how many sleeping citizens we could kill in adventure mode before being zerg rushed to death by dogs or cats or other domestic animals. His record was 114. That adventurer died from passing out from overexertion after too many 1HK's on sleeping people and getting his head ripped off by a duck while he was down.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2014, 12:05:32 am »

I usually just tell them "you can rule the world with an army of zombie polar bears"

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2014, 08:34:45 am »

Introduced the game to my young nephew. Several days and forts later he could feed his dwarfs and so move on to greater challenges. About a week later he came to tell me that he had thought of the best mod to help his dwarfs survive, firebreathing dogs, and promptly modded it in.

I asked him how it went. His reply:

"So much fire...."

Your nephew is awesome.  I hope he never grows out of it.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2014, 08:42:13 am »

I got a person to download it, and shown my mother it.  I forgot she has a hatred of small blinking things though, so the game ended up confusing her.

Too many people want CoD action.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2014, 09:03:14 am »

Introduced the game to my young nephew. Several days and forts later he could feed his dwarfs and so move on to greater challenges. About a week later he came to tell me that he had thought of the best mod to help his dwarfs survive, firebreathing dogs, and promptly modded it in.

I asked him how it went. His reply:

"So much fire...."
And that's why I made fire imps playable.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2014, 07:26:25 pm »

I like to tell the story about my Fiance and Dwarf Fortress in threads like this. Sorry for the wall of text.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5