Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Fox Network : The Good Die Young  (Read 1786 times)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
The Fox Network : The Good Die Young
« on: May 10, 2014, 06:27:54 pm »

In honor of shows like Almost Human, Surviving Jack, and *gulp* Firefly, I would like to propose a thread about the sort but eventful lives of many a TV show, that died due to the horrible mistake of being aired on FOX. Let me start.

Ahem. Firefly was awesome.

The List
  • Firefly
  • Surviving Jack
  • Almost Human
  • The Adventures of Briscoe County Junior
  • Many, many more.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 07:28:05 pm by Playergamer »
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The Fox Network : The Good Die Young
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 06:30:11 pm »

Why is fox scared of having money?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 06:31:44 pm »

Firefly was friggin' expensive to produce, and its popularity mainly exploded AFTER it had aired/been canceled.

Not to say Fox made the right decision at all, but a more reasonable one than most people claim.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 06:38:42 pm »

Well I'd say the low popularity was in part due to the chaotic airing schedule they kept fudging with. Once people saw the episodes in order they realized that holy shit that show is awesome.

Too bad it was too late then.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 06:40:06 pm »

Yeah, another thing about Fox: There is an order to these episodes. Show them in that order. Please.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 07:09:12 pm »

You're unfortunately going to have to add Gotham to this list, most like.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 07:24:30 pm »

I’d like to add The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.

I know that X-Files was a long runner but it really went downhill for me when they went full on for the black goo aliens instead of the monster-of-the-week show that I really liked.  So, X-Files (1993-Black Goo Aliens).

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 12:41:28 pm »

Fox loves having money.

The shows that have been mentioned are just a LOT less popular then you might think they are.

Just because you and your nerdy/geeky/internet/etc friends like it does not mean mainstream america (or, mainstream whatever country you live in) happens to like it too.... and there's a LOT more of them then you.

It's one reason I'm excited about internet TV (hulu, etc). Without timeslots and limited channels, a more niche (but still profitable) show does not have to worry about being canceled to make room for something even more profitable.

I’d like to add The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.

I know that X-Files was a long runner but it really went downhill for me when they went full on for the black goo aliens instead of the monster-of-the-week show that I really liked.  So, X-Files (1993-Black Goo Aliens).

The x-files was always split between "monster of the week" and "mythology arc" episodes, right from the start. See here, episodes with an asterisk next to them are "mythology arc" episodes. Season 1 perhaps had slightly less "mythology arc" episodes but the rest of the show's run is pretty even.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 10:08:20 am »

Strange Luck.

And it's not just FOX (though they are particularly egregious). I'll never forgive CBS for killing American Gothic.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 11:03:12 am »

There was Futurama as well. I mean it got revived, but the revival was hit and miss and the movies were terrible (except possibly the first).

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 11:23:56 am »

And yet, I'm not sure what Seth MacFarlane would have to do to get one of his shows killed. I think even *he* is tired of them at this point.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 01:41:16 pm »

All of MacFarlane's shows could go die in a fire and I wouldn't bat an eyelash.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 05:14:56 pm »

I think Family Guy is actually pretty funny real talk.  Cleveland Show was reasonably funny too i only because Family Guy is funny and Cleveland Show is Family Guy.

I've also hard Seth McFarlane is trying to get the show cancelled which would make sense.  The early episodes were funny, then there was a period around season 7 where the show was just awful, then it got funny again in the last few seasons.

As a nerd, you're gonna have to accept that despite what you may want (let's be real, you're glad it's this way though) your tastes are not mainstream, and shows that appeal especially to you will generally not do well on mainstream TV.

Shoes...

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 06:37:51 pm »

Obvious Solution: Ship magma to the "mainstream" consumers. They would be dumb enough to open it too, given that they STILL watch fucking American Idol.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 07:07:05 pm »

As a nerd, you're gonna have to accept that despite what you may want (let's be real, you're glad it's this way though) your tastes are not mainstream, and shows that appeal especially to you will generally not do well on mainstream TV.
Oh, I get that, but it doesn't keep me from being frustrated that the average pleb person will laugh at a five minute long fart joke.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: [1] 2