Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some random modding questions  (Read 1492 times)

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
Some random modding questions
« on: May 09, 2014, 12:28:11 pm »

So I'm making a few civs and I was wondering how to do some things. I checked the tokens on the wiki but either I didn't look hard enough or there is some other way.

Is there some way to make races innately like / hate each other? Like not ethics based? I added goody goody Halflings but it seems everyone enjoys murdering them over their ideals.

Is there a way to make a civ reclusive or isolationist? The Halflings have a habit of declaring war on half the planet over ethics and I have ideas for some civs which don't leave their biomes often.

Is there a way to make a certain species only tameable by a civ? Or to make it so the civ only uses certain species? I have plans for a frost based civilization which has militarized giant penguins and yetis but I don't want these animals to be seen often outside of this civ, and I don't want this civ using cheetahs and stuff.

Thanks!
Build a replica of the Krusty Krab around the creature, then lock prisoners customers inside it so that the sponge can mutilate them take their order.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Some random modding questions
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 12:28:39 pm »

1. No.
2. No.
3. No.

You looked hard enough...

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 12:44:21 pm »

What a shame, thanks for answering!

So there's no way to tell a civ to only use from a certain biome either? I know the Elves can only use good creatures (or at least that's a token) and that Goblins only use evil, any way to set that for ice creatures and the like?

And can I make it so civs only use a certain type of metal or that other civs generally stay away from it? I think Masterwork does this with mithril armor.
Build a replica of the Krusty Krab around the creature, then lock prisoners customers inside it so that the sponge can mutilate them take their order.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 01:15:46 pm »

You can cause a civ to only build sites in specific biomes.

[START_BIOME:MOUNTAIN] <- this allows you to force all spawned civs of this type to be initially spawned in this biome.
[BIOME_SUPPORT:MOUNTAIN:(# from 0-10)] <- this allows you to make the civ prefer certain biomes over others, making it more likely to build sites in the desired biome. Higher numbers make the civ more likely to settle the selected biome.

For what creatures a civ domesticates, your options are as follows;
[USE_CAVE_ANIMALS] to enable underground creatures
[USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] to enable evil animals
[USE_GOOD_ANIMALS] to enable good animals
[USE_ANY_PET_RACE] enables common domestics (i.e. horses) and any domesticatable animal in a 7x7 region around that civ's site. If you don't have this, the race won't domesticate animals at all.
So, there's no way to explicitly have a civ that only accepts creatures from a certain biome, but you can force a civ to predominantly settle a biome, increasing the odds of it domesticating locals. Biomes don't have all possible creatures from that type of biome however, so there'll still be large variance game to game with certain rare creatures.

For future questions I recommend posting in the Modding Questions thread just to keep the forum tidy. Enjoy your modding!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:23:00 pm by MDFification »

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 01:23:31 pm »

You can cause a civ to only build sites in specific biomes.

[START_BIOME:MOUNTAIN] <- this allows you to force all spawned civs of this type to be initially spawned in this biome.
[BIOME_SUPPORT:MOUNTAIN:(# from 0-10)] <- this allows you to make the civ prefer certain biomes over others, making it more likely to build sites in the desired biome. Higher numbers make the civ more likely to settle the selected biome.

For what creatures a civ domesticates, your options are as follows;
[USE_CAVE_ANIMALS] to enable underground creatures
[USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] to enable evil animals
[USE_GOOD_ANIMALS] to enable good animals
[USE_ANY_PET_RACE] enables common domestics (i.e. horses) and any domesticatable animal in a 7x7 region around that civ's site. If you don't have this, the race won't domesticate animals at all.
So, there's no way to explicitly have a civ that only accepts creatures from a certain biome, but you can force a civ to predominantly settle a biome, increasing the odds of it domesticating locals. Biomes don't have all possible creatures from that type of biome however, so there'll still be large variance game to game with certain rare creatures.

For future questions I recommend posting in the Modding Questions thread just to keep the forum tidy. Enjoy your modding!
Roger dodger, thanks again!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 01:36:59 am »

Actually, I do have to disagree with Putnam. Doesnt happen often though.

1, Yes, there are 4 "teams" in Df. Entity without babysnatcher&itemthief vs. entity with babysnatcher vs. entity with itemthief vs. entity with babysnatcher&itemthief. If they have the same ethics, they are allies in their teams and hostiles to the three other teams. Very rare wars between allies might happen, but I have never seen that with ethics close enough.

2, yes, reclusive civs... I have three of them. SKULKING means that only your own civ trades with you. A civ designed to die out in worldgen can still be played, but only sends two migrant waves and no traders. And a civ with no active seaons will never attack or trade, expect if you tell them to do so with the dfhack force script. And this describes the MDF races of Kobolds (skulking), Warlocks (die out in worldgen) and Gnomes (no active seasons).

3, yes, with Urist daVincis script he posted in the Suggestions thread for dfhack scripts. You can add pets to specific civs without anyone else having access to them.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 02:29:08 am »

3, yes, with Urist daVincis script he posted in the Suggestions thread for dfhack scripts. You can add pets to specific civs without anyone else having access to them.

I just showed how the lists of items/animals that a civ has access to can be edited after worldgen using a DFHack lua script. For each civ, the game maintains detailed lists of what animals can be used for each purpose. These lists only need to be edited once per world, as they persist across saves or forts. You can also do things like stop civs from bringing barrels of blood in trading caravans.

A note for the OP and readers is that this implies that the mod *must* be used with DFHack, at least to start the first fort after generating the world. I like to use DFHack for testing things, but when I am seriously playing the game I don't like to have it around because I will use it to cheat and then quickly lose interest in that fort.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 10:42:10 am »

You might want to try making their ethics more tolerant.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 05:13:11 pm »

The Fort Defense mod removed the ability to speak from all of its hostile entities, which guaranteed war with races that could speak (I don't remember if they would also fight each other). This adds a fifth faction to Meph's list. I don't know how snatcher and thief tags work in this setup, though; it might be possible to have more than five teams.

As for unique metals, giving an entity a reaction to create metal will give access to that metal, even if they would be unable to get it otherwise. Dwarves always have steel, as an example; you might not be able to buy an iron anvil at embark if your entity hasn't found iron ores, but you will always be able to take a steel anvil.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 05:19:08 pm by Ruludos »