Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The Great Bay12 Transhumanism Thread MkII: The Future Of Humanity is Debatable.  (Read 5433 times)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen.

Due to the science thread coming dangerously close to derailing, the second Bay12 Transhumanism thread is now officially open!

All topics related to the various improvements of human mind and body are welcome, but please remember that civility is mandatory.

Religion is strictly prohibited due to it being extremely toxic for this type of threads and not really appropriate for internet discussions in general. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:56:20 pm by Knit tie »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile

Posting to monitor.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

please remember that civility is mandatory.

PLEASE

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

your mother was a hamster >:T
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile

Anyway, let's begin.

Today's topic, fresh from the science thread:

What makes one human?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

A corollary to that: What does it mean to be or not to be human? That is the real question.

If you are declared not-human, what does that mean for you?

I.E. human rights for "non-human" sentients sapients. >:T
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:21:36 pm by Descan »
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile

I.E. human rights for "non-human" sentients.

No, really. No.

Sentient doesn't mean that, a dog or a cat, or a cow is sentient. Sapience is more tied to the ability to reason or think critically, which is currently what defines humanity. Not sentience.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

I, for one, believe that all sentients sapients (yeah, I made that mistake, too,) should be treated equally. Period. Humans are only special because we've not found anything else sapient. Neil deGrasse Tyson said it best, though. Our search for life in space is kind of like scooping a cupful of water out of the ocean and declaring that there's nothing in the oceans because there are no whales in the cup.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

* Descan shrug.

Whatever :P You knew what I meant! The question stands!

And when I said non-human, I was thinking more in terms of... changed humans. Artificial intelligences. Uplifted animals with equal intelligence.

Aliens too, but not just human.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:23:05 pm by Descan »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile

What makes one human?
1. Biological integrity, I feel, is the most defining part of a human. The health of the body and mind affect each other, and their mechanisms and materials determine the function. Who you are, in large part, grows out of what you are. To consciously alter or manipulate it's basic functions is to degrade your very being. Genetic material, the blueprints from which your body is built, is the most basic biological component, and to consciously alter or manipulate that is to degrade the entire species.

2. The mind. Thought processes, grown out of your biological component, and shaped by environment. To forcefully alter the mind of another is to remove all dignity they have, a terrible fate.

The brain, being both a biological organ and the center of thought, is the single most important part of a human.

I, for one, believe that all sentients sapients (yeah, I made that mistake, too,) should be treated equally. Period. Humans are only special because we've not found anything else sapient. Neil deGrasse Tyson said it best, though. Our search for life in space is kind of like scooping a cupful of water out of the ocean and declaring that there's nothing in the oceans because there are no whales in the cup.
I believe that friendly cooperation with other sapient species could be great, and benefit all factions involved. But if it comes down to "them or us", I'm going to side with us. Because, often unfortunately, you have to choose a side. And I choose my side. Hopefully, it would not come to such a situation.

so many ninjas.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

If we do it right, though, there won't have to be any sides. There's no reason for it to come to that. We won't do it right, I imagine, but we could.

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile

There's no reason for it to come to that.

There's also literally no actual justified reason for organized wars that couldn't of been resolved peacefully, yet human history is full of them. If we find another sapient species we wont even know they're sapient till we've been killing eachother for a while.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile

I can tell you that the chances that at least one object you identified as a person was actually an illusion of some description to be above 0%, unless you counted illusions of a certain authenticity to be human regardless. Though, that leads to the question on whether an "conscious" illusion is more human then a real person that is in a vegetative state, assuming there was ever a sure way to figure out either of them was "real".
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:44:54 pm by Propman »
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5