Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Eidolon (closed and retired)  (Read 15379 times)

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
Re: Eidolon (Suggestion Game)
« Reply #195 on: August 17, 2014, 01:41:05 pm »

damn...dat attitude.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #196 on: August 17, 2014, 01:47:22 pm »

Because the Ocarai's ships are designed with light armor due to not believing heavy resistance is possible, wouldn't a retaliatory orbital strike as soon as possible actually be a good idea?  We need to hit them before they can redesign and manufacture a replacement fleet, right?

Also, if this is the general that organized Mars' defense, can we really say that she did a good job?  The heavy weapons that should have been distributed to our forces were locked up in an armory.  One heavily-injured man with the right weapons took down almost all of the enemy forces, at which point they retreated!  Imagine if all C class and all D class weapons, however few there may be, were properly equipped on as many soldiers as possible at the time of the battle.
Let's do it! Attack attack attack!

Bureaucracy! Maybe regulation prevented her from doing something like that.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 17, 2014, 03:29:35 pm »

The Ocarai are no longer a threat. The emperor was cast down. They do not want to retaliate from what I understand. We should recover from the war before we make a push.

Nunzillor

« Reply #198 on: August 17, 2014, 03:48:28 pm »

The emperor was cast down and they are indeed likely not an immediate threat... but for how long?  They are an evil empire that seeks enslavement or outright obliteration of all other sentient races, and while their failure may have slowed their assaults, I doubt that it has changed their core beliefs.  If we can't reach consensus on a full-scale attack, let's at least send a few scouts to probe their defenses.  I imagine they won't have much in terms of defense due to their arrogant ways.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 05:52:34 pm by Nunzillor »

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 17, 2014, 03:50:04 pm »

Maybe now would be the time to call for an Ocarai cease-fire?

We can tell them that we will destroy all starships and glass their planets from orbit should they resist. We have a superior navy atm.

If we manage to do so we can help facilitate trade between the two empires and thus become rich off the life blood of corruption.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 17, 2014, 04:26:56 pm »

Could perhaps show them an alternate to enslavement, reach out with peace instead of threats~

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 17, 2014, 05:18:23 pm »

Because the Ocarai's ships are designed with light armor due to not believing heavy resistance is possible, wouldn't a retaliatory orbital strike as soon as possible actually be a good idea?  We need to hit them before they can redesign and manufacture a replacement fleet, right?

Also, if this is the general that organized Mars' defense, can we really say that she did a good job?  The heavy weapons that should have been distributed to our forces were locked up in an armory.  One heavily-injured man with the right weapons took down almost all of the enemy forces, at which point they retreated!  Imagine if all C class and all D class weapons, however few there may be, were properly equipped on as many soldiers as possible at the time of the battle.
Why don't we equip police with grenade launchers and tanks most of the time in RL? To prevent anything unpleasant from breaking out and hurting civilians. The attack seemed to take us completely by surprise, as I assume we thought they would need to get through our fleet first, so the failure was one of not having sensors good enough to detect them, rather than not distributing heavy weapons to glorified space-cops.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

Nunzillor

« Reply #202 on: August 17, 2014, 05:41:12 pm »

Why don't we equip police with grenade launchers and tanks most of the time in RL? To prevent anything unpleasant from breaking out and hurting civilians. The attack seemed to take us completely by surprise, as I assume we thought they would need to get through our fleet first, so the failure was one of not having sensors good enough to detect them, rather than not distributing heavy weapons to glorified space-cops.

Ah, that makes sense.  However, these guys were military and not civilian/police, to my understanding.  They were placed there specifically to intercept an incoming attack.  I feel like the last line of defense before earth should've been as heavily defended as possible.  I still think we could've been better prepared, but I suppose hindsight is 20/20, and it was of course a sneak attack as you said.

I crossed out my previous suggestion... I'm up for peace if you guys are.  I guess we should at least give it a shot.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 06:00:38 pm by Nunzillor »

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 17, 2014, 05:54:23 pm »

We also don't know how economic it would be to equip, what was it, 2(0?),000? reavers with heavy roflstomp weapons.

Nunzillor

« Reply #204 on: August 17, 2014, 05:58:11 pm »

Yeah, I agree that giving the awesome weapons to everyone would've been impossible.  I just meant the weapons we already had, not manufacturing new ones.  They were just sitting in the armory...  But I guess we didn't think we would need them.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 06:01:06 pm by Nunzillor »

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 17, 2014, 06:14:28 pm »

I think that there was only one of each weapon in the armory.

We couldn't equip multiple of the same one, I don't think. Though that may have just been to prevent us from being too OP.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 17, 2014, 06:54:18 pm »

The main issue regarding equipment was that the basic weapons Mars Guard were issued would have been effective if you had been facing normal Ocarai forces, no one expected the Warmaster and his cadre to be there.  As I said before, standard Ocarai forces are not better than standard human forces, all the previous ground attacks were carried out with overwhelming numbers.  And 20,000 reavers was just what was at Labyrinthis Noctis, Mars had nearly two million ground soldiers at the ready, but surprise attacks by insanely powerful enemies wiped them out.  Most of the problem with mounting a punitive expedition at this time revolves around resources, as stated in the OP, Earth is depleted, and after a century of mining, Mars is just about tapped too.  To mount any kind of attack would seriously overextend humanity, and possibly cause our extinction.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 17, 2014, 07:06:54 pm »

Oooh. Okay.

Peace and trade rather than war, plunder, and likely extinction of everyone it is.

This will be an economics simulator yet!

Nunzillor

« Reply #208 on: August 17, 2014, 07:23:25 pm »

Oh, alrighty.  Extinction sounds... not so good.  Peace it is!

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 17, 2014, 07:24:11 pm »

But do the Ocarai know how strained we are?

Because we can totally still threaten them.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15