Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia Sprint: College of Cardinals (D2)  (Read 41101 times)

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia Sprint: College of Cardinals (D1)
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2014, 08:29:08 am »

TDS: I was only angry since the vote just seemed completely random to me.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2014, 11:27:47 am »

darkpaladin109: Having a vote made on you isn't quite reason to panic, especially if it's random. More than that, being lynched isn't the end of the game unless you're mafia. That said, I'd rather put pressure on an idle player than bandwagon for the moment.

Vote: Tawarochir

tn5421

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGUS + WIFOM = Fail
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr (PARTIALLY NSFW)
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2014, 12:13:39 pm »

TDS: I was only angry since the vote just seemed completely random to me.
I either stated or implied that my vote on you was random, but your reaction is convincing me that I should keep my vote where it is for now.

darkpaladin109: Having a vote made on you isn't quite reason to panic, especially if it's random. More than that, being lynched isn't the end of the game unless you're mafia. That said, I'd rather put pressure on an idle player than bandwagon for the moment.

Vote: Tawarochir

Will you remove this vote if he starts posting actively?
[21:23:48] <GhostFrog> bdsm is always more fun with a restraining order
[9:00:59 PM] kingdomacesbeta: Actually knowing what you're doing is overrated.

Mafia Dossier: MafiaScum Wiki - tn5421

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2014, 12:27:50 pm »

As soon as there was a hint that you were about to die, you panic. Why are you so scared to die?
"How dare you not want people to lynch you!"

More than that, being lynched isn't the end of the game unless you're mafia.
Um...it kinda is. For you, at least. And since there's more than one Mafia guy, the game's as over for them if they die as it is for a non-mafia person if they do.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2014, 12:52:48 pm »

tn5421: Most likely, yes. It's too early to make a decision on any of the active posters, in my opinion, but idling is dangerous even if the idler is town.

GreatWyrmGold: Since mafia is a team game, playing as if it is a free-for-all is a dangerous (possibly scummy) mindset. From what I've seen of other games, towns that have a lot of lone wolves don't fare so well. Keep in mind that the mafia have the ability to have private conversations, so they have much more liberty to put on a front. Sympathy, therefore, is really just another tool for them. On that note, you seem to have jumped in very quickly to defend darkpaladin109. That makes me feel like you two are working together. Do you have any defense against this?

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2014, 12:57:31 pm »

I'd also like to point out that there are only two mafia players. Thus, getting one of them makes the game much harder for the other. On the other hand, a townie doesn't risk the entire game for their team if they are lynched.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2014, 01:11:25 pm »

GreatWyrmGold: Since mafia is a team game, playing as if it is a free-for-all is a dangerous (possibly scummy) mindset.
You misunderstand me.
1. When you die, you can't play anymore.
2. People playing this game wanted to play this game.
3. Therefore, people playing this game do not want to die.
Thus, your claim that it doesn't matter if a non-mafia gets lynched is...well...idiotic.

I'd also like to point out that there are only two mafia players. Thus, getting one of them makes the game much harder for the other. On the other hand, a townie doesn't risk the entire game for their team if they are lynched.
There aren't that many more Townies, you know. And the "mafia" people are also going to be killing townies.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

tn5421

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGUS + WIFOM = Fail
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr (PARTIALLY NSFW)
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2014, 01:15:11 pm »

I don't think GWG would stick his neck out for someone if he were scum, but I could be misreading him.  I haven't reviewed his body of work, after all. 

@Scripten: I'm happy with that explanation as long as he/she doesn't post. (I assume male because of the name, but I could be wrong)
[21:23:48] <GhostFrog> bdsm is always more fun with a restraining order
[9:00:59 PM] kingdomacesbeta: Actually knowing what you're doing is overrated.

Mafia Dossier: MafiaScum Wiki - tn5421

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2014, 01:52:19 pm »

GreatWyrmGold: Since mafia is a team game, playing as if it is a free-for-all is a dangerous (possibly scummy) mindset.
You misunderstand me.
Thus, your claim that it doesn't matter if a non-mafia gets lynched is...well...idiotic.

You're missing something important, and that is that people who are dead still win with whatever side they were on. However, a lone scum player probably won't win, while the town can win with one less player.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2014, 02:00:35 pm »

You misunderstand me.

Actually, I think you misunderstand me. I did not say that lynching a non-mafia was irrelevant, only that a single lynch on the scum side is much more dire for them, especially this early in the game. Sure, if a townie is lynched, that means we lose a total of two of our team members on day 1 because of night kills, but that's not the reasoning I saw. Keep in mind that this is a game, so any points I make are within the context of the game.

So, yes, I obviously understand and sympathize with the idea that nobody wants to die. However, I also have to take everything people say at more than face value. Therefore, it seems reasonable that using points that are relevant in the context of the player's desires but not in that of winning the game is more suspicious.

There aren't that many more Townies, you know. And the "mafia" people are also going to be killing townies.

I'm aware of this. As I said above, the intent of the posts preceding mine were more individualistic than I felt was appropriate for a townie. To be frank, and I apologize if this comes across as harsh, but I can't see any reason why wanting to keep playing matters to anyone except for the player who is at risk. I can accept that lynching a townie is a bad call. That's immediately obvious. We don't know who is town and who is scum, though, so it's really down to statistics right now. We have two mafia players and five townies. That means that if we lynch scum, they're outnumbered one-to-four the next day, taking night kills into account. On the other hand, with a townie lynched, that's a two-to-three ratio. That leaves us with an extra day to scumhunt if we lynch scum on the first day.

Anyway, this is all very fun and distracting, but I am still curious as to your reasoning for defending darkpaladin109. :P

FakeEdit: Ninja'd by TheDarkStar

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2014, 05:22:09 pm »

Day will end today at 11:00 PM EST, or over 4 hours from now.

Votecount has not changed.

Tawarochir will be modkilled if he does not post by day end.

Please get in all actions to me by day end.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 05:38:25 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2014, 05:54:09 pm »

Day will end today at 11:00 PM EST, or over 4 hours from now.

Votecount has not changed.

Tawarochir will be modkilled if he does not post by day end.

Please get in all actions to me by day end.

First, I'm pretty sure that the votecount has changed.

Second, can you try to find a replacement for Tawa? Otherwise, there's a fairly large chance that the town loses tomorrow morning (4/6 chance to mislynch (not counting Tawarochir, of course), 4/5 chance for the doctor to fail to protect the target, so 8/15 or 53.3% chance that the town loses by morning).
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2014, 06:27:16 pm »

First, I'm pretty sure that the votecount has changed.

Second, can you try to find a replacement for Tawa? Otherwise, there's a fairly large chance that the town loses tomorrow morning (4/6 chance to mislynch (not counting Tawarochir, of course), 4/5 chance for the doctor to fail to protect the target, so 8/15 or 53.3% chance that the town loses by morning).
Oh whoops, I thought I had already counted you and scripten's vote.

Secondly, the process of getting a replacement usually takes 24 hours, which in this game is too long. Hence why I believe they made it a modkill. This clause was in the OP, and lurking is a serious crime in a Sprint game, and if you can't be around for long periods, you can't play. You also have an extension available to you.

Votecount:
1. Elephant Parade {0}-
2. Tawarochir {1}- Scripten
3. GreatWyrmGold {0}-
4. Darkpaladin109 {2}- tn5421, TheDarkStar
5. Scriptin {0}-
6. tn5421 {1}-GWG
7. TheDarkStar (IC) {0}-
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2014, 06:31:50 pm »

Ugh. D1 is almost over, and we're barely even out of RVS. Are we even fully out of RVS?

GreatWyrmGold: Isn't your attitude a bit self-serving? Were you unaware that dead players still win with their team? Also, you should do the thing where you respond to everything. That would be pretty useful, since activity is currently near-zero.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2014, 06:33:40 pm »

Also, if the game ends after this night, can we have a Beginner's Mafia Sprint 2.5 with the same set of players?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18