Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia Sprint: College of Cardinals (D2)  (Read 41077 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia Sprint: College of Cardinals (D2)
« Reply #225 on: May 15, 2014, 08:31:06 pm »

Sprint is indeed massively scumsided.  In a setup like Bird 7P where the power roles are crucial to the town you can't have deadline rules that result in PRs being randomly lynched without having a chance to claim (as happened on day one in this game).

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 15, 2014, 08:33:34 pm »

That is to say, it should be impossible for a power role to be lynched day one in this setup unless a mafia member has counterclaimed (and therefore sacrificed themselves).

tn5421

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGUS + WIFOM = Fail
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr (PARTIALLY NSFW)
« Reply #227 on: May 15, 2014, 10:01:40 pm »

I lucked into a win because of Scripten's confusion.  I didn't check soon enough to post pre-deadline or I'd have hammered the plurality lynch as close to deadline as possible.
[21:23:48] <GhostFrog> bdsm is always more fun with a restraining order
[9:00:59 PM] kingdomacesbeta: Actually knowing what you're doing is overrated.

Mafia Dossier: MafiaScum Wiki - tn5421

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 16, 2014, 08:56:49 am »

It rarely outright ruins games without the release of action-related information, but it can easily cause quite a bit of damage.
*If the poster is a participant in the game: it spreads game content out between multiple threads, it can be a way to get around the no night talking rule (like here), and it often (like here) weakens the divide between out-of-game behaviour (where there is an expectation of honesty) and in-game behaviour (where there is not).
*If the poster is not a participant in the game: Player actions can be influenced by the comments of a relatively unbiased, clearly non-scum observer more easily than by players who may be scum.
*Not bloody much content in this case, since I've never claimed anything but innocence.
*So? It's not like a non-participant knows anything participants don't, or like there's any other reason to trust outsider judgement over one's own.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 16, 2014, 09:34:29 am »

It rarely outright ruins games without the release of action-related information, but it can easily cause quite a bit of damage.
*If the poster is a participant in the game: it spreads game content out between multiple threads, it can be a way to get around the no night talking rule (like here), and it often (like here) weakens the divide between out-of-game behaviour (where there is an expectation of honesty) and in-game behaviour (where there is not).
*If the poster is not a participant in the game: Player actions can be influenced by the comments of a relatively unbiased, clearly non-scum observer more easily than by players who may be scum.
*Not bloody much content in this case, since I've never claimed anything but innocence.
*So? It's not like a non-participant knows anything participants don't, or like there's any other reason to trust outsider judgement over one's own.
GWG, it doesn't matter what your reasons are, plainly stated.

If you dare talk about another Mafia game ongoing in any thread, finished or not, that is against Forum Mafia etiquette no matter how much you want to twist your details. Whether you be dead or alive, consider it related to uttering a 'bah' post. You should speak of emotional reaction only and not information that would bias, in any way, the perception of readers on your statements.

That means think with an open mind, buddy.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 09:36:32 am by Tiruin »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 16, 2014, 09:48:05 am »

"Even if it can logically have no effect on the other game, it's bad because it could ruin that game. Think with an open mind, buddy."
Right.

And emotional reactions are okay? Fine, I'm annoyed that everyone assumed I was a mafia even though I wasn't. Is that better?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 16, 2014, 09:50:30 am »

Yes.  :)) That is most acceptably better.

Now you should've PROVED IT BY TRAIL OF FIRE AND WORD than just stating 'Oh no I'm town I'm town; why?!'
Because other townies don't know that, for one. Next: How would you treat someone playing the 'hey dudes I'm town' card? :v

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 16, 2014, 10:37:46 am »

Yeah, but if you think someone and makes a comment similar to another one that an outside observer made, and you doubt there has been contact between them then that could influence you to view that person as town.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

tn5421

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGUS + WIFOM = Fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 16, 2014, 12:27:34 pm »

@Scripten: Counter-Claiming is one of the most dangerous and potentially rewarding things that scum can do, as well as fake-claiming.

tn5421

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGUS + WIFOM = Fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 16, 2014, 12:30:09 pm »

"Even if it can logically have no effect on the other game, it's bad because it could ruin that game. Think with an open mind, buddy."
Right.

And emotional reactions are okay? Fine, I'm annoyed that everyone assumed I was a mafia even though I wasn't. Is that better?

Posts outside of game can be assumed to be true.  Therefore, talking about the game outside of game while it is going on is not a good thing to do, because it introduces an outside aspect to the game.

It's acceptable to talk about it IRL as long as the person isn't a mafia player.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 16, 2014, 12:37:37 pm »

It's acceptable to talk about it IRL as long as the person isn't a mafia player.
In any game wherein the subjects are or may be influenced, that is. :p

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 16, 2014, 12:55:28 pm »

Now you should've PROVED IT BY TRAIL OF FIRE AND WORD than just stating 'Oh no I'm town I'm town; why?!'
Because other townies don't know that, for one. Next: How would you treat someone playing the 'hey dudes I'm town' card? :v
How would I react? "He wants people to think he's a townie. If he's a townie, of course he'd want people to think he was a townie so he didn't get mislynched. If he was a mafia, of course he'd want people to think he was a townie so he didn't get lynched. No useful information can be derived."
Null statement.

Yeah, but if you think someone and makes a comment similar to another one that an outside observer made, and you doubt there has been contact between them then that could influence you to view that person as town.
Um, why? I don't see how.

Posts outside of game can be assumed to be true.  Therefore, talking about the game outside of game while it is going on is not a good thing to do, because it introduces an outside aspect to the game.
So, let me see if I understand.
1. There is an unwritten rule that, if you talk about a game in some other thread, you should tell the truth.
2. To avoid spoilers from the above rule, there is an unwritten rule that you can't talk about other games until the one you're in is over.
Is this more or less correct?
Sig

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 16, 2014, 12:59:14 pm »

How would I react? "He wants people to think he's a townie. If he's a townie, of course he'd want people to think he was a townie so he didn't get mislynched. If he was a mafia, of course he'd want people to think he was a townie so he didn't get lynched. No useful information can be derived."
Null statement.
Good, you got it.

Um, why? I don't see how.
Aaand you lost it. :-\

It's like this: Comparison and Observation. It skews the thoughts of an onlooker as one side is familiar to him, and the other is not-yet both state [the same] similar things.

So, let me see if I understand.
1. There is an unwritten rule that, if you talk about a game in some other thread, you should tell the truth.
2. To avoid spoilers from the above rule, there is an unwritten rule that you can't talk about other games until the one you're in is over.
Is this more or less correct?
How do you even understand that.

There is a wholly existent rule that you should not talk about an ongoing game you played in in another thread sans said thread's deadchat, if available. See: BAH POST. [Also no, the 'tell the truth part' as an attachment is wholly wrong--you should NOT talk about it. Period.]
2. See: Above. If the game is over, you may talk about it freely. That one is correct.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 01:03:04 pm by Tiruin »

tn5421

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGUS + WIFOM = Fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 16, 2014, 01:05:09 pm »

The 'tell the truth' is an assumption made about non-mafia posts.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 16, 2014, 01:14:20 pm »

Good, you got it.
Glad you think so! Sadly, I suspect that your interpretation of me getting it is based on you not getting what I said.
"Null statement" means that it's a statement that doesn't affect my perceptions at all (in this case, because it makes equally much sense no matter what the other player is).

It's like this: Comparison and Observation. It skews the thoughts of an onlooker as one side is familiar to him, and the other is not-yet both state [the same] similar things.
I don't get how this connects to the question at hand. Saying something outside makes you more familiar to those inside, which significantly affects decisions? If so, wouldn't it be illogical to play mafia on forums where people know each other? In fact, since I'm fairly well-known and often-posting, and hence familiar to many, I probably stop playing mafia so my familiarity doesn't cause people to view my statements in a different light!

How do you even understand that.
In other words, I shouldn't be able to understand that.
Are you trying to insult me, or are you just not thinking before you hit post?

There is a wholly existent rule that you should not talk about an ongoing game you played in in another thread sans said thread's deadchat, if available. See: BAH POST. [Also no, the 'tell the truth part' as an attachment is wholly wrong--you should NOT talk about it. Period.]
2. See: Above. If the game is over, you may talk about it freely. That one is correct.
Why shouldn't I talk about it? You keep saying this, over and over. It's circular logic, and I've never seen the circle's beginning, yet you expect me to trust it.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18