Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giant burning zombie sperm whale causes corpses to explode.  (Read 3113 times)

kyle902

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I was testing to see how long a sperm whale zombie takes to burn to death and I noticed something.

Any creature that engages the !!sperm whale!!  ends up catching on fire and then promptly exploding a few turns later....

So my first question is... How can this be weaponized? From what I've seen it could be useful for getting rid of goblins as it causes the corpse to explode but leaves metal behind.

kyle902

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Giant burning zombie sperm whale causes corpses to explode.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 07:11:08 pm »

Further notes:

The boiling blood of the last dwarf that got lit on fire by the sperm whale cause a cougar to asphyxiate.

Update.

I tested a theory I had by letting the burning zombie whale kill an ettin. The ettin corpse caught fire and I moved the sperm whale away.

Then I spawned in an elf and kept it next to the ettin corpse. The elf started to melt from being moderately close to the ettin. The elf died and his corpse caught on fire and exploded, however the ettin is still burning. The effect seems to depend on creature size; smaller creatures explode much faster while larger creatures burn for a long time and then explode. It's like an FB syndrome that causes creatures to burst into flames and then explode!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 07:39:02 pm by kyle902 »

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 07:45:58 pm »

I think you answered your own question. setting it off in the wild might be too dangerous though, better to use it as an execution chamber instead.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

kyle902

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 07:48:28 pm »

Any blood this thing walks over instantly explodes into boiling blood. the tiles it lingers on for more then a few moments are hot enough to cause smaller creatures to combust from stepping on them.

I wonder what would happen if this thing walked on a glacier....

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 07:51:07 pm »

IIRC, a zombie on fire will never burn to death.

A zombified whale is the pinnacle of dwarven defenses. A device to lure it back into captivity being required, you can cause whole sieges to light on fire and explode. You could probably bait it pretty easily via an animal on a chain, then raise bridges behind it to seal the beast away until you're ready to unleash it upon the world once more.

Now I am become death, destroyer of worlds. - You, after unleashing the !!Animate Whale Corpse!!.

kyle902

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 07:53:06 pm »

I sent a group of four elephants after it and two of them exploded in such a way that their companions started to both melt and get caught in boiling elephant blood before they reached the !!zombie giant sperm whale!!

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 08:47:03 pm »

This is about ~40% as amusing as zombie wagons. You just need to mod in "Flaming Spermwhale Mancers"...

For a coastal fort near a tower I could see this being a feasible strategy... lots of work for lots of fun.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 08:49:16 pm »

The boiling blood of the last dwarf that got lit on fire by the sperm whale cause a cougar to asphyxiate.

I am skeptical of this assertion. I have not observed anything like this in the past, and I have set many, many creatures on fire in DF.

"Explode" is a strong word. The fire causes the creatures to bleed to death, and the blood boils in heat and forms a comfortable, pleasantly warm, non-harmful blood mist. Nothing explosive happens here.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 09:53:31 am »

Yeah. Here I thought that the Zombie whale was burning things and actually causing creatures to explode their limbs away via application of kinetic force with whale body parts.

I'm not really sure how non-harmful boiling blood is though. Not that I ever engineered harmless boiling substances (I always gave them a fixed temperature of whatever heat value fire had).
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.