Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress for the Blind.  (Read 5210 times)

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress for the Blind.
« on: May 03, 2014, 03:33:47 pm »

Not sure if this belongs in the suggestions or in discussion. I was watching an 80's movie called "Sneakers", pretty good movie by the way. Anyways, one of the characters, "Whistler" was using a braille terminal on account of not being able to see. It got me thinking, since Dwarf Fortress is displayed totally in ASCII symbols of a rather limited set, could it be possible to set it up to display to a braille pin-board? ( In the movie, the braille terminal only displayed one line at a time, I'm thinking more like a grid of braille symbols. ) Now, I'm not saying this would be very practical at all, but do you think it's possible to make a Dwarf Fortress machine for use by the blind? If so, do you think that it'd be or could be made to be even somewhat worthwhile for play? I dunno. Discuss how you'd think it'd be possible, whether or not you're crazy enough to attempt it, whether or not you think there are any blind people who would play it, etc.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
Re: Dwarf Fortress for the Blind.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 10:16:29 am »

Considering how there's only limited symbols with color defining a lot of the variation, not to mention the speed the game moves at (or wouldn't be moving at, if you stopped to [k]view every symbol you didn't know the color of), i really don't see how this could be done. Even if you somehow had additional symbols in place of colors, you're talking about... 4080 symbols total. That's the 255 symbols times the 16 colors ingame. Now, obviously not all the symbols use all the colors, but even if we halved it to 2040 or even quartered to 1020 that's still way more characters than is practical.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 10:20:28 am by 612DwarfAvenue »
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 10:23:31 am »

Considering how there's only limited symbols with color defining a lot of the variation, not to mention the speed the game moves at (or wouldn't be moving at, if you stopped to [k]view every symbol you didn't know the color of), i really don't see how this could be done. Even if you somehow had additional symbols in place of colors, you're talking about... 4080 symbols total. That's the 255 symbols times the 16 colors ingame. Now, obviously not all the symbols use all the colors, but even if we halved it to 2040 or even quartered to 1020 that's still way more characters than is practical.

Ah yes, quite right. The colours. Hmmm, very true what you say. Perhaps we could have a temperature differential to represent the colour? I don't know, that's too complicated, yes?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 06:27:30 pm »

Even without colors, braille only has 64 possible characters, you're at 1/4 what you need.

And you really need to be able to just track things without reading every character for it to be a practical game. Imagine if you build your entire fortress flat, but rotated so it goes through z level, and how slow and annoying that would be (and confusing). And you have about half of an idea how much of a mess it would be to try and play with braille.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

JonathanCR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 03:14:58 am »

Not sure if this belongs in the suggestions or in discussion. I was watching an 80's movie called "Sneakers", pretty good movie by the way. Anyways, one of the characters, "Whistler" was using a braille terminal on account of not being able to see. It got me thinking, since Dwarf Fortress is displayed totally in ASCII symbols of a rather limited set, could it be possible to set it up to display to a braille pin-board? ( In the movie, the braille terminal only displayed one line at a time, I'm thinking more like a grid of braille symbols. ) Now, I'm not saying this would be very practical at all, but do you think it's possible to make a Dwarf Fortress machine for use by the blind? If so, do you think that it'd be or could be made to be even somewhat worthwhile for play? I dunno. Discuss how you'd think it'd be possible, whether or not you're crazy enough to attempt it, whether or not you think there are any blind people who would play it, etc.

I love this idea even though it's clearly impossible. Make it waterwheel-powered, and you've got a classic dwarven engineering project right there.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 07:21:08 am »

I love this idea even though it's clearly impossible. Make it waterwheel-powered, and you've got a classic dwarven engineering project right there.
XD As hilarious as that is, it's probably possible. I dunno.

gritstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 04:41:22 am »

We should try making your avatar available to blind people.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 06:57:38 am »

Heh. Yeah... I guess it could best be simulated via sticking some electrical probes inside the blind person's eye-socket and touching it to the optic nerve, whilst pressing the buttons really quickly. However, this would be highly unethical.

At any rate, I'm working on another idea for a blind DF terminal that doesn't use braille, but instead a pin board and provides graphics in the form of raised text and symbols, with a button the bottom which one can press to have a description of the selected item read aloud to them. Keeping up with one's dwarves ( as in more than one at a time ) is still a challenge I haven't figured out the solution to. I also haven't figured out the matter of colour either, though I still think it's possible to use heat differences maybe. A possibly more probable way to go would be to have each character vibrate slightly, with the vibration speed being dependent on colour. However, I'm not thinking that would work too well and haptic feedback would probably wear out the pin-board rather quickly. Hmm...

Also, everyone remember this thread is a hypothetical. At best any solution is going to be somewhat impractical. That shouldn't stop any true Bay12'er, and while it is also in the nature of the Bay12'er to snark, I ask you to please restrain yourselves and take this seriously as a thought exercise or a vague possibility.

gritstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 08:19:48 am »

Perhaps you could consider the use of 3D audio as a supplement to touch.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 10:56:00 am »

Perhaps you could consider the use of 3D audio as a supplement to touch.

I was thinking that, but I thought echopings for every dwarf on the current Z-level would eventually get too confusing and possibly overwhelming to the player.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 11:25:56 am »

Heat sounds like a way to give an overview of the fort, if you can give it narrow bands. Set your dwarves to warm, wave your hand over the board, and feel the little red dots moving. Like i said though, narrow bands, and I'm not sure your hand could distinguish the individual heat sources. Maybe like this (the image that is)? http://www.iflscience.com/physics/amazing-2d-rubens%E2%80%99-tube-visualizes-sound-plane-fire

This project does sound like something you could easily do for adventure mode, though.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 11:32:06 am »

Heat sounds like a way to give an overview of the fort, if you can give it narrow bands. Set your dwarves to warm, wave your hand over the board, and feel the little red dots moving. Like i said though, narrow bands, and I'm not sure your hand could distinguish the individual heat sources. Maybe like this (the image that is)? http://www.iflscience.com/physics/amazing-2d-rubens%E2%80%99-tube-visualizes-sound-plane-fire

This project does sound like something you could easily do for adventure mode, though.
Mmmm... Very interesting concept! And it seems to be the most practical way to keep track of dwarves. You get an A for creativity and my approval. ( For whatever it's worth. XD )

Very true! I wasn't even considering adventure mode. And this same hardware could be used for any number of rogue-likes. :D

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 01:30:56 pm »

I think the minimum noticeable spatial resolution by your nerves on heat differences is probably low enough to restrict you to something like a 10x10 to maybe 20x20 grid. Assuming you can make up a mechanism that changes heat accurately and quickly enough, which sounds extraordinarily difficult.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 03:49:34 pm »

I think the minimum noticeable spatial resolution by your nerves on heat differences is probably low enough to restrict you to something like a 10x10 to maybe 20x20 grid. Assuming you can make up a mechanism that changes heat accurately and quickly enough, which sounds extraordinarily difficult.

I'm not sure what you mean by the grid limit/think i mean. I'm just thinking of a moving object specific heat tracker, possibly with a moving flame. It wouldn't cover the whole fort at once, you'd have to move your hand for a better view. But yeah, moving to practical territory is likely in the best interests of the thread (sorry OP.)

For adventure mode, how about contextually remapping the symbols, with an emphasis on familiarity? I don't know about the variety of symbols you'd expect on screen at any one time, but if there's something indicating "k" is currently a goblin, and you've spent a lot of time in goblin-ville recently, k should remain a goblin where possible, while a broken lantern you never interact with is keyboard detritus. After returning from a expedition to foreign lands, it could return the symbols to a makeup more or less similar to what it was before you left, though "s" for forge might be preferentially assigned if you've been trying to fix a blade for 6 months. I'm far from certain you could do that with modding however.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 04:02:12 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean by the grid limit/think i mean. I'm just thinking of a moving object specific heat tracker, possibly with a moving flame. It wouldn't cover the whole fort at once, you'd have to move your hand for a better view. But yeah, moving to practical territory is likely in the best interests of the thread (sorry OP.)

For adventure mode, how about contextually remapping the symbols, with an emphasis on familiarity? I don't know about the variety of symbols you'd expect on screen at any one time, but if there's something indicating "k" is currently a goblin, and you've spent a lot of time in goblin-ville recently, k should remain a goblin where possible, while a broken lantern you never interact with is keyboard detritus. After returning from a expedition to foreign lands, it could return the symbols to a makeup more or less similar to what it was before you left, though "s" for forge might be preferentially assigned if you've been trying to fix a blade for 6 months. I'm far from certain you could do that with modding however.
Hmm, I just meant like a small heat producing node not an open flame.

Too complex, would require even more massive reprogramming of the game then would already be necessary. I dunno, maybe though simply to make it practical enough to play.
Pages: [1] 2 3