Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf Civilization 5 mod (OUT NOW!)- A homage to bay 12  (Read 6358 times)

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Civiliation 5 mod Teaser - A homage to bay 12
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 02:54:20 pm »

PTW
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 05:19:50 pm »

Captain Ironblood should be a unit/great general.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2014, 07:32:10 pm »

Some excellent feedback!
Firstly, Urist is now female.
Secondly, the typo of "fortressand" is fixed.

I have done some research on Cacame Awemedinade, and I like the sound of a unique general (the idea of a unique general seems to fit this civ well) but am not sure about what bonuses should be given. I could go with the bonus suggested by scrdest with the dwarf overseer, but maybe something more thematic? I'm not too sure what to do about the unit artwork (I would have to add animations and such?) but the flavor text/picture in the civlopedia would be easy.
I think the second bonus should be a unique building of some kind, a tantrum spiral and magma forge have both been suggested. If I were to do the magma forge, what would its bonus be? Extra attack to any unit built at that city maybe?

The trait (Slaves to Armok) can be tweaked if need be. The idea of building on mountains seems like a cool second bonus that wouldn't break the game (perhaps even give a bonus if you do take the trouble of finding one and building on it). The obvious problem is that mountains aren't the most common things in world gen and you could be screwed if you can't find (m)any.
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014, 08:28:55 pm »

I do think this section of the forum is for finished games or at least playable games, but i'm not the forum police so, meh.

Also, you might ant to check the thread title for typos, at the very least.

Otherwise, good luck on your mod!
I got nothing

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2014, 11:13:16 am »

I do think this section of the forum is for finished games or at least playable games, but i'm not the forum police so, meh.

Also, you might ant to check the thread title for typos, at the very least.

Otherwise, good luck on your mod!

Well do not fret, because the mod is out now!
You can grab it here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=255951656

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Civilization 5 mod (OUT NOW!)- A homage to bay 12
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2014, 01:40:02 pm »

If you could somehow replicate Civ 4 slavery in Civ 5, that'd be a fun Slaves to Armok trait. Nothing is more dwarfy than sacrificing population for production!

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2014, 04:05:01 am »

If you could somehow replicate Civ 4 slavery in Civ 5, that'd be a fun Slaves to Armok trait. Nothing is more dwarfy than sacrificing population for production!

I don't even want to know how painful it would be to mod that in.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 08:20:56 pm »

What do you think of the following?

A. Let Dwarves discover aluminum and coal resources after researching the Steel tech.

B. Give the Great General replacement the ability to settle Cities instead of Citadels. These Cities get an additional static bonus to production and probably some other goodies/penalties too (an entirely made up "candy arms" promotion for pre-gunpowder units built in these fortresses? More unhappiness from population?). This is basically to represent player-made dwarf fortresses, for whatever quirks you could put in.

C. Give gold, production, and food bonuses for tiles worked adjacent to mountain tiles (as someone else suggested), and also bonuses to quarries and mines with resources. Maybe remove bonus production from trade routes to compensate.

Also, maybe some time way down the line, we could add even more dorfiness untied to a civ directly. An Armok related belief or two? A "Fuck The World Project" World Wonder? A "Candy Spire" Natural Wonder? I'm getting way aheadof myself here, but yeah, food for thought?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 08:35:44 pm by ShinQuickMan »

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2014, 08:02:32 pm »

What do you think of the following?

A. Let Dwarves discover aluminum and coal resources after researching the Steel tech.

B. Give the Great General replacement the ability to settle Cities instead of Citadels. These Cities get an additional static bonus to production and probably some other goodies/penalties too (an entirely made up "candy arms" promotion for pre-gunpowder units built in these fortresses? More unhappiness from population?). This is basically to represent player-made dwarf fortresses, for whatever quirks you could put in.

C. Give gold, production, and food bonuses for tiles worked adjacent to mountain tiles (as someone else suggested), and also bonuses to quarries and mines with resources. Maybe remove bonus production from trade routes to compensate.

Also, maybe some time way down the line, we could add even more dorfiness untied to a civ directly. An Armok related belief or two? A "Fuck The World Project" World Wonder? A "Candy Spire" Natural Wonder? I'm getting way aheadof myself here, but yeah, food for thought?
Having trade routes get plundered whenever they enter a dwarven city would be funny, due to their strangely moist trade depots with tastefully arranged floodgates. Of course, I'm sure that's a bit of a tricky one to mod, and not really a detriment.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2014, 08:36:40 pm »

I think it might be cooler to have dwarven trade routes be unplunderable, ala tunnels. But eh.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2014, 09:06:13 pm »

What are the requirements to install this? Any particular expansions?

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2014, 09:48:22 pm »

What are the requirements to install this? Any particular expansions?
For the full experience, Brave New World.
However, if you check the link to the mod I have posted, in the comments for the mod is another version that works with vanilla civ 5 (no expansions needed) and everyone should be able to run that at least

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2014, 11:10:28 pm »

Should have the ability to make Citadels without a great general(i.e Dwarf Fortresses).
Pages: 1 [2]