Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make fired bolts disappear?  (Read 1955 times)

Legendary Glazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Make fired bolts disappear?
« on: May 01, 2014, 12:13:44 pm »

Any way to make the game delete bolts after they miss? Obviously bolts that hit get stuck and so forth but the others just lay around forever until you set them to be melted and then your furnace operators get killed.

Siege ammo is destroyed after fired unless it falls down, for example, so how hard could this be.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: Make fired bolts disappear?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 01:32:49 pm »

Any way to make the game delete bolts after they miss? Obviously bolts that hit get stuck and so forth but the others just lay around forever until you set them to be melted and then your furnace operators get killed.

Siege ammo is destroyed after fired unless it falls down, for example, so how hard could this be.

It would be better to ask the modding forum this question, I think.
Conventional modding won't cut it for this. The only thing I could think of that might work would be making a custom DFhack plugin that deletes bolts outside of a stack (represented as 1 bolt when loo(k)ing) every so often. I don't think such a thing exists, and have no idea how one would be implemented.
And it really doesn't need to be implemented; if you have DFhack, you can just designate all the fallen bolts to be dumped and run autodump to destroy them via magic.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 01:31:39 am »

I like to just collect them and use them again :P

However, if you're using a tileset, sometimes you get a weird little lump that doesn't even exist on the k look menu but exists in that tile forever. What are you, lump? Why are you there?
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 04:48:16 am »

The > thing with a _ underneath it on the default tileset. I think it's an arrow stuck in the ground.

Which provides more evidence to suggest the world is alive. A creature. Looking at creatures doesn't reveal the stuck bolt until you view their inventory.
That, and when you fall the ground attacks you. Mother Earth is offended by high downward velocities?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 04:59:33 am »

That, and when you fall the ground attacks you. Mother Earth is offended by high downward velocities?

I can't blame her. Sometimes gravity just PISSES ME RIGHT OFF!
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 09:57:55 am »

broken bolts have annoyed me for a long time, especially broken bolts stuck in hillsides, they have this annoying tendency to blink between hill and broken bolt

DFhack clean all helps there, but it feels a tad cheaty, as it also cleans all contaminants from creatures and such

those blinking-for-no-reason tiles have got to go though.. :)

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 11:33:00 pm »

Dont broken bolts dissapear after a while?

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 09:06:14 am »

I think inside they generate a "clean" job, but outside, I don't think so, I have seen those blinking tiles for years before getting fed up and removing them with dfhack

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 09:13:50 am »

Well, we'll just have to hope that DFHack have a command to deal with broken bolts at some point.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 07:51:49 pm »

Or Toady fixes the job priority bugs.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Scarlet

• Escaped Lunatic
  • 道可道非常道
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 09:08:12 am »

My suggestion is to mod any and all bolts to be made of boltonium, a material that's only stable at indoors temperature and in some containers. Outside it melts and/or freezes and cracks if the temperature is even one degree Urist lower or higher. Lower quality bolts can be made of a boltonium/copper alloy.
I once ruled over an entire world, and some fortresses, too.