Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Therian Saga: Browser Based XTREME CRAFTING Simulator  (Read 20587 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Therian Saga: Browser Based XTREME CRAFTING Simulator
« on: April 30, 2014, 08:50:25 pm »

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzdpyHNsFhk

Therian Saga is a new Sandbox Browser MMO, where you move your character on the world map and making him do various tasks, like gathering resources, exploring, fighting, farming, etc.

The game is mostly focused around crafting and the work that goes into that.  Combat is a very valid ‘profession’ due to extremely valuable drops, but there exists 1 skill group for offense, 1 skill group for defense, and about 8 different skills for producing items, so the emphasis is definitely on crafting dynamics far more than combat.  A large part of the game focuses around where you can harvest particular materials, and getting enough skill to work them.

Skills, for their part, are based on your actual character’s skill, the quality of the tool you’re using, the quality of the location’s workshop, and what assisting companions you have.  The drive for skill gain is not only for pure skill, but also heavily influenced by tools and workshops, placing a heavy emphasis on cooperation with other players to get access to the tools and materials you need to progress.

The actual progress of the game is slow.  Many actions are measured in 20+ minutes, and depending how you set up your queue of actions, it can last several hours.  Combat is a bit more ‘direct control’ but collecting resources and performing especially higher skill crafting will take hours to finish.  You can fill in the time discussing plans, establishing trades with other players, and harassing others about skill levels, resource locations, and other quirks, but a lot of the time will be spent waiting for queues to finish - but that’s not exactly new for a browser game, right?

The thing that is different, is that queues are handled in real time.  Tasks are set, and take time to complete, and are then finished.  The current task, plus 4 in queue, can be assigned to work in order, though a larger number of queue slots can be bought from the premium shop.  Instead of many games where your character collects action points while idle and then spends them to instantly complete tasks, Therian bases tasks completion time on how long the task actually takes.  There is still ‘energy’ which each task uses and sleeping restores energy, but that doesn’t prove to be as big a hinderance as traditional “AP Pools” tend to be.

Now for what the game’s good at, the crafting is much more complex than many other games.  Instead of having set recipes, items are constructed more as templates.  You’re given the ability to produce, for example, a lumber ax.  This takes some ingots of metal, and a handle.  The metal can be anything, copper, bronze, steel, even silver.  Some choices are better than others, so using silver isn’t really very useful, but a steel ax is pretty great.  So instead of lists of recipes, you’re instead give a whole list of metal types and allowed to pick any one that you happen to have on hand.  This applies to every type of crafting as well, from clothing to armor to tools and buildings.  This also allows for much more complex dynamics.  Materials have a set of stats, a chunk of 4-10 different attributes and produced items are generated differently depending on what those stats are - nothing is hard-coded, it’s all math based on what the material values are.

ALSO important to note, for reasons.  When making a new account, it will ask you how you heard about the game.  If you enter a valid player’s name, then the first time you spend money to buy premium currency, the player you referred will gain currency as well.

The premium itself is very optional.  You start with room for one weapon, one tool, four NPC companions, and 5 queue actions, but can spend money on permanent upgrades for more slots of each - for instance, you can carry a tool for metal forging and a tool for carpentry, so you don’t have to switch every time you want to do either job type, both will be in use whenever each is relevant.  Other premium items are a -little- exploity, like reducing a task by 1 hour, or providing 50 energy without sleeping (no skill ever lets you reduce time, but certain player-produced potions do restore energy), but these are limited to a number of uses per 24 hours and aren’t that bad.  There is no ‘premium membership’ with monthly fee, there is only microtransactions for permanent slot upgrades or consumable luxuries - none of these provide any artificial skill boost either.

List of our guilds, players, and their skills:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AncW0Hp2cXFedF95bHFaXzNoa2tHQnpWSHpFdW1JeGc#gid=3

NPC Vendors Items List (thanks to arezedge):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap4wnqjXVH_FdDJGOUxZUF91Mk5kSnQ4cVY5RThSbUE&usp=sharing

World Map (Spoilers):
http://www.shinhan.name/tsmap/

Sengoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Therian Saga: Browser Based XTREME CRAFTING Simulator
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 08:50:36 pm »

« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 09:13:29 am by Sengoku »
Therian Saga

Character: Endalos
Profession: Extractor

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 08:50:49 pm »

This spot reserved :D

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 01:22:54 am »

Guides:

Skills Explanation (thanks to Shooer)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

World Map (don't open it if you want to discover places by yourself!)

Companions Guide (thanks to Rumble)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(I've finished entering all my skills. Highest is Engineering right now, with copper wings, but I'm jumping around improving other things as well.)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 02:38:13 am by Sappho »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 01:25:40 am »

PTW. Ya'll know my IGN, if not, it's UristOlokdomil.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 01:34:36 am »

I just picked this up. It's pretty neat, but I'm a little confused as to how stats and bonuses from items work. Ex, I need a stat of 8 to prospect a certain area, and my hero has 6.5 skill, which is then weighted as 40% so effectively 2.6. The location doesn't appear to have any bonus. The next one is where I'm confused. I have a tool that lists Prospecting 14 on it's tooltip, but when I equip it nothing changes. How do I make it actually do something?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 01:39:06 am »

The tool's stat should be applied when you equip it. What is the tool you're trying to use?

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 01:55:11 am »

I have tried both the copper sieve (+14 prospecting) and the metallurgy manual (+5). Neither appears to have an effect.

EDIT: Apparently there's a distinction between equipping things to the civil menu and the adventure menu. They work now.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 02:00:58 am by frostshotgg »

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 02:06:13 am »

What's your in game name frost?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 02:07:26 am »

Yeah, civil messed me up at first too. Still not exactly sure what that tab does, heh.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 02:16:19 am »

What's your in game name frost?
I actually just restarted, because I wasted some of the freebie premium items trying to figure out what they did. New character is Frostybutt in game.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 02:36:50 am »

Yeah, civil messed me up at first too. Still not exactly sure what that tab does, heh.

For ages I thought I had lost one of my iron tools because I had accidentally equipped it to civil. I kept trying to equip other items, hoping it would push out the "lost" one, but it never appeared. I was enraged until I finally thought to flip over to civil, and there it was.

As far as I can tell, for now the only thing the civil does is set how you want other players to see your character. When you view someone, by default you see their civil setup. Then you can click a tab to see their "adventure" layout, the equipment they're actually using.

TTHSK

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurked for a very long time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 04:56:47 am »

Hmm, this thread needs two things...

In-game b12 chat channel: _Urist_
Steam group (more chat): http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Bay12TherianSaga

Also, I'm happy to try and arrange for some goodies for new players/players who hit a wall before about 20 skill >_> (I'm Leddy in-game)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 05:39:29 am by TTHSK »

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 05:05:27 am »

How time intensive is this game? The Elder Scrolls Online is eating up all my game time (and then some), but complex crafting plus plenty of attention from B12ers results in a game I'd like to try.

While I'm asking, how competitive is this, and what's the drive to advance?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 10:34:12 am »

How time intensive is this game? The Elder Scrolls Online is eating up all my game time (and then some), but complex crafting plus plenty of attention from B12ers results in a game I'd like to try.

While I'm asking, how competitive is this, and what's the drive to advance?
The game is currently "beta" of a sort, there's not a big drive for competition.  The only way to interact with others is the arena and the mailbox.  But there's things in place that will later play into pvp, such as the skills of spying, thieving, and watching out for spies.  Materials also get stats, like durability and fortification, which implies that future updates may feature sieges of some sort.

As said in opening post, the game can be played for 10 minutes every 8 hours, or can be played almost constantly.  It depends how you build you queues.  My current queue (recruiting NPC companions) has me busy for about 20 hours, but that is an exceptionally long queue for an exceptionally arduous task.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7